Opinions on Slate Digital FG-X?

What mixes have you actually tried this on???? i constantly see you post your opinion but you never post any full mixes of what you do? You always say "well this guy said that this is awesome and it must be great" but how about your opinion and a few mixes to back it up....i have checked ur posts and u never post a full mix...just a random drum mix or some tone test using somebody else's DI is all i see.....i dunno you just get under my skin

Since when does the amount of times someone posts mixes on a forum determine how good they are at mixing or whether or not they are qualified to have an opinion? I'm busy with life, finishing up a degree, having a girlfriend, playing guitar, writing music, and having other hobbies completely outside of music. I got into this to produce my own music on a level that I'd be happy with, and I mix for other people only when the opportunity to arises. I don't have my own studio. I don't actively seek out bands to record. I don't pretend to mix for a living, and I don't really care how valuable you think my opinions are. If you don't like them, don't read them.

Oh, and just out of curiosity, how hard do you really think it is to mix when you're using 100% pre-processed, bought drum samples and paying other people to reamp guitars for you? Thanks for your insight.

Cause your always running your lips about this sucking or that sucking...How do you know anything? You don't even use them......When someone like Lasse, 006 , or digitaldeath says something it means something because they actually mix music.

Oh, and just out of curiosity, how hard do you really think it is to mix when you're using 100% pre-processed, bought drum samples and paying other people to reamp guitars for you? Thanks for your insight.
It obviously takes some talent or you would have posted something finished in the last 2 yrs you have been on this board ...but you haven't....No problem on the insight, only other advice I can tell you is stop posting and read more and practice mixing.

Zombie as usual your stuff sounds killer!
Thanks Steven .....keep doing what your doing ....VCC here I come.

Everyone calm the fuck down. I'm too lazy at the moment to go back and read Josh's initial post, but IIRC, I read it simply as "Ozone is a tool that can be used to make pro mixes," not "FG-X sucks" or anything.

As for my personal opinion, I only bought FG-X because of the group buy. I would not have purchased it at $299. I demoed it, and honestly, it didn't sound any better to me than Voxengo Elephant. In fact, I was one of the first to notice the crackling/distortion artifacts, and one of my mixes was used to improve the ITP algorithm for the FG-X update. The update certainly improved things, but I still notice FG-X crackling occasionally, and I do hear it coloring/saturating the mix occasionally, when other loudness plug-ins don't. Ok, I can automate ITP, but that's pretty tedious, especially if it doesn't sound better than other plug-ins (to me, I guess). Furthermore, when I sent test masters to other audio engineers, I don't think they ever preferred FG-X over Elephant when the test was blind.

It sounds silly, but I bought FG-X because of all the rave reviews I read (plus the dropped price), even though it didn't sound that special to me during the demo period. I was hoping maybe as I used it I would see what everyone was talking about, and it's glory would reveal itself to me, but this is yet to happen. No disrespect to anyone intended - I'm just being completely honest, and this is just my opinion. Maybe I'll see the beauty of FG-X in the future, but I never had issues with buried snares in my mixes when I used traditional limiting, and now I'm constantly worried about distortion/crackling. It still gets great reviews from others - I just read one in SOS earlier today. Said it was amazing for rock/metal, though doesn't necessarily suit all material, and doesn't always "fail elegantly" when it does fail (like long sustained bass notes).

LOL, your the one following him around from thread to thread expressing your awful dumb opinion that in the end has no real basis .

Dude, I posted in this thread before Slate, and I only responded to it because the person who made the thread wanted opinions about a plugin I own. I gave my honest opinion, and if you go back and actually read it, nowhere in my post did I say "FG-X sucks." I said what I thought about Ozone, because other people in the thread had been talking about it as an alternative.

The reason you came into the thread and started bashing me is because you are a Slate fan boy, and you were annoyed that people were suggesting an alternative over a Slate product you recently payed for. Guess what, I payed for it too... but I don't try to defend each and everything I buy. I give my real opinions to people who want them, because some of us like to think for ourselves and not spend our money based on hype/marketing. This is a public forum. We are free to express our opinions. If you don't feel that I'm qualified to have a meaningful opinion, then ignore what I say. It's really that simple. There are definitely plenty of people on this forum who have opinions I don't care about...

...but just for the record, telling me my opinions are stupid and have no basis is ridiculous. You don't know me, you have no idea how much I've tested/used the plugins I talk about, and you have no idea what kind of skill level I'm at. Some of us have busy, complicated, money-sucking lives. Some of us focus on playing an instrument(s), and not all of us here are trying to make a career out of recording/mixing music. No offense to people who are, of course... It would be an awesome way to make a living, but it's not feasible for all of us at the moment.

Everyone calm the fuck down. I'm too lazy at the moment to go back and read Josh's initial post, but IIRC, I read it simply as "Ozone is a tool that can be used to make pro mixes," not "FG-X sucks" or anything.

As for my personal opinion, I only bought FG-X because of the group buy. I would not have purchased it at $299. I demoed it, and honestly, it didn't sound any better to me than Voxengo Elephant. In fact, I was one of the first to notice the crackling/distortion artifacts, and one of my mixes was used to improve the ITP algorithm for the FG-X update. The update certainly improved things, but I still notice FG-X crackling occasionally, and I do hear it coloring/saturating the mix occasionally, when other loudness plug-ins don't. Ok, I can automate ITP, but that's pretty tedious, especially if it doesn't sound better than other plug-ins (to me, I guess). Furthermore, when I sent test masters to other audio engineers, I don't think they ever preferred FG-X over Elephant when the test was blind.

It sounds silly, but I bought FG-X because of all the rave reviews I read (plus the dropped price), even though it didn't sound that special to me during the demo period. I was hoping maybe as I used it I would see what everyone was talking about, and it's glory would reveal itself to me, but this is yet to happen. No disrespect to anyone intended - I'm just being completely honest, and this is just my opinion. Maybe I'll see the beauty of FG-X in the future, but I never had issues with buried snares in my mixes when I used traditional limiting, and now I'm constantly worried about distortion/crackling. It still gets great reviews from others - I just read one in SOS earlier today. Said it was amazing for rock/metal, though doesn't necessarily suit all material, and doesn't always "fail elegantly" when it does fail (like long sustained bass notes).

Bingo. Completely agree, and I'm pretty sure there are a number of other regular posters on this forum who share roughly the same opinion.

I've kept FG-X until now because it was a good deal, because I know a lot of other people like it, and because I think it's pretty cool on more rock/pop oriented music, but it just doesn't blow me away like I originally thought it would, especially if we're talking about using it on modern metal.

Obviously I'm not the only one who has an opinion like this. Lasse sold his copy, Andy has tried the public beta, but has been using Ozone recently, etc..... and the ONLY reasons why I mention that are:

1. They are very talented people, and produce great sounding, professional albums. I respect them and enjoy the albums they create, so I personally find their opinions to be pretty valuable to me.

and 2. These guys own their own studios and have quite a bit more money to throw around than the average member of this forum. For the most part, they don't have to make compromises with their gear/software. They can use whatever they want to use.

Anyways, I'm done.

Automation is a powerful tool, but I like using stuff like PSPMixSaturator or Soundtoys Little Radiator with Waves SSL4k&L3MM (L3 very conservatively but sometimes that does what I thought the FGX plug would do/depends on the mix though). Sounds like VCC might be the next route for me, that definitely delivers but I never felt FGX was what I needed. Perhaps with completely analog recordings it shines. My methodology is to just ask someone that has a decent mix to send you their project file & see what's on it. In Sonar, even if I didn't have the plugins I could see what they were called and then get them. L3 was one of those things that just blew away Voxengo Elephant & the rest for me but it can also mess up your mix if you aren't careful, but you can adjust the lows, low mids, mids, high mids, highs, whatever right on the plug so there's really nothing better in just one simple mastering limiter IMO. You can even totally change the sound of DIs or slam the guitar tracks & the volume doesn't jump or distort. It doesn't change the stereo image like almost everything else does. You'll hear compression before any clipping so have to watch it. Voxengo & FGX don't get into that "zone" of radio remix compression hell so there's not really a competition, everything is "different." But if everyone tried L3, it'd be the go to maximizer (for people on the hunt for one) & I know for sure the more experienced use it a lot better than I do and only use the 16-bit CD Mastering preset lol. So...it's definitely back to the mix (and before).

L3's pretty cheap right now, & there's a deal on the L3-16 (16 bands? Hmm, might have to upgrade to that one, I don't see myself ever getting anything that isn't multiband).

If anyone has any issues with the FG-X, I'm here to help. I guarantee that on the proper setting, the FG-X is the most transparent sounding limiter that can retain the most dynamics and impact from your mix. Hit me up for help at slate@stevenslate.com

Cheers,
Steven

^ also curious about that! And also what's been asked before: Do the scales of the knobs attack and release somehow translate to ms?

FG-X is great, don't get me wrong but Ozone Loudness Maximizer seems to work better every time.

NEVER dug Ozone. Doesn't get me where I want to go. I like to use a few different limiters in series each for their own purpose, doing just a TINY bit of G.R. and usually there's ONE of them that's really getting it to commercial levels.

I love FG-X for it's COLOR and the transient shaping and stereo widening properties inherent in the plug when set consertaively. I don't usually use it as my ONLY limiter but I have on occasion.

IMO, it's definitely a GREAT tool to have in the toolbox. The dynamic perception knob is magicccc

NEVER dug Ozone. Doesn't get me where I want to go. I like to use a few different limiters in series each for their own purpose, doing just a TINY bit of G.R. and usually there's ONE of them that's really getting it to commercial levels.

I love FG-X for it's COLOR and the transient shaping and stereo widening properties inherent in the plug when set consertaively. I don't usually use it as my ONLY limiter but I have on occasion.

IMO, it's definitely a GREAT tool to have in the toolbox. The dynamic perception knob is magicccc

I talked to Steven about the dynamic perception knob and he said it makes your music pump in time, it's an awesome tool. I agree on the fg-x adding color thing, I really like the warm eq sculpting type feel it gives when you slap it on. Sometimes it does get a little crackly though

FG-X is great, don't get me wrong but Ozone Loudness Maximizer seems to work better every time.

Clark nailed my feelings on this topic, and I've always really disliked Ozone and it's interface. But over time struggling with FG-X, I've just given in to Ozone 5 and now I don't have to work as hard as I did with FG-X to get my mixes sounding the way I want them and being nice and loud.

It was Andy's comments about it that forced me to revisit it. I did a shootout with the current mix I was working on and I just couldn't get the bass to stay as clean as I preferred with FG-X and I felt I always was pushing FG-X farther than I should need to. Ozone allowed my to push my mix way further than I could with FG-X, so I felt I wasn't pushing it nearly as much as FG-X and the final mix was cleaner and more transparent especially with the bass being cleaner than I could attain with FG-X.

Ozone still pisses me off since I really could care less for 80% of the package, and their advanced pricing is ridiculous, but the limiter is THE best I've ever used. Thanks Andy for the tip by the way.

Of course, no offense to Steven, or FG-X. It's definitely not bad. Maybe I just don't know how to use FG-X, but I bought it real early on and have been trying to use it as my main limiter ever since then, and I've never been completely happy with it. For me, Ozone has just been easier, sounds cleaner and is capable of getting my mixes sounding louder with less struggle.

I found ozone to add just a litle bit too much midrange somehow, some poeple dig the extra grit, I don't need it. FG-X is cool, but my favourite is fabfilter pro-l in transparent mode