Opinions on this mix/master

drew_drummer

Dancefap
Sep 7, 2008
London, UK
Wolves Of The Calla

This is a track that is going to be part of an album that I'm doing as a side project to the band. I thought I'd give it a quick master, and was hoping to get some opinions.

Here is the original non-mastered version:

Wolves Of The Calla (Unmastered)

I was going for a similar thing to Periphery in terms of the mix, though the music is quite different to that I reckon. Bit more sludgy and loose I'd say.

Anyway.. if you feel like it, give me some feedback.

All the drums are played live on an e-kit Morgan triggering Superior 2.0 with avatar and metal foundry sounds, then quantized to taste. Maybe my velocity settings on my drum brain aren't optimal for superior, or maybe I quantized the cymbals a bit too tightly to the grid.. I'll have a look at both of those and try to add some variance and maybe some more cymbals to make it a bit less repetitive. Thanks for the feedback.

Totally insightful dude!! Thanks!! I'll get right on top of that garbage can sound and I'll make my kick sound like it's from the noughties!!

... fucking twat.

Totally insightful dude!! Thanks!! I'll get right on top of that garbage can sound and I'll make my kick sound like it's from the noughties!!

... fucking twat.

haha tbh dude i feel your pain, that dude is usually about as helpful as a cat babysitting a goldfish

The kick is pretty distracting and the cymbals sound too lifeless to me. One thing you could try is send all the cymbal channels and the room channels into another bus, smash the fuck out of it with a 1176 variant plugin and then route that bus back to the drum bus. Mix according to taste. It lets the cymbals ring out more and gives them a more roomy, lively feel.

I love the snare dude.
Kick sounds good on its own, but gets a bit lost in the guitars.
The toms are not working too well here man - they almost sound like a different kit. A bit too much high end there, and not enough body I think.

BUT, this song is kicking some serious ass! Fuck this is pretty catchy! I love it.

Thanks Chris.

Wasn't meaning to rag on the guy before, but it really was an unhelpful cuntish response. And I wouldn't mind, but his mixes sound like dog dicks!

Annnyyywwaaaayy... Not the Dual Terror. Haven't had that thing for ages now! :)

It's the Fryette Sig X.

Jarko+Chris ... were your comments based on the BFD2 version or the Superior version?

Cool, cheers dudes. I'll have a play.

It's odd though... the cymbals are purely amb+OH channels... not using the direct microphones. Guess I should reduce the width of the OH's and the amb's and see how it sounds.