Optimal PC config

zenx

eat glass
I want to set up a new PC for recording, mixing etc...
At the moment I am definite on going for the pc and not the mac (I know, I know...). I have a motu 828 unit and I'll most likely be using cubase sx.

So what are your recommendations for processor, ram, hard drives etc... etc... I want to be able to use 3-4 plugins on all my tracks (around 30 usually), whithout getting overload errors. So what's the magic trick?
Dual processors? Lots of ram? If a dsp card can be avoided that would be great too.

How do you do it? What are you using, and are you able to use gadzillion plugins at once? :)

lol

I'm afraid you won't be able to use as many plugins as you'd want to... Actually I can't, and this is a real pain... Until I can buy a powercore I have to deal with it, or link two computers and use one as a plugin farm. But my advice would be : get the best machine you can, but not the very latest one, or most powerful one, because you'd pay a lot more for a very little difference.

If you're building an "audio only" computer, then go with the Intel 3.06Ghz P4 hyperthreading processor.

http://www.extremetech.com/image_popup/0,1554,s=1005&iid=17775,00.asp

This is a single processor setup. Get as much ram as your mobo can support, which should be lots since the board will support the P4. Your internal (Os) drive should be at least 7200rpm 80gb, but I'd go with 120gb. Get a firewire PCI card or a mobo that has firewire on it already. 120gb or higher external firewire/USB 2.0 drive to work off of, or at least save your audio to.

If you don't have experience building PC's, or if you're not ready to immerse yourself in the darkest depths of XP - listen to Andy and buy a Mac.

You'll definitely want the fastest processor you can afford, whether it's an AMD or Intel isn't really that big of a deal, although I prefer AMD. Right now I run an AMD 2.5 gHz w/ only 512 meg RAM using an M Audio 1010 and I can consistently run 24 tracks with 2-3 plugins per track, so more RAM will get you to your goal.

I will say that if you are going PC, DO NOT buy one from a manufacturer like Dell or anything. Custom built is the way to go, by someone that knows what they are doing and XP will need the fuck tweaked out of it.

hey ,

would be nice if you guys could also post some specs of your system
like the processor speed , main board , ddram (and how much) ,video and sound card and that stuff ...

also like to run 3/4 plugins like zenx
just so i don't buy crappy stuff

thanks ,
mark
:yell:

i run an AMD 64-bit Processor which runs at 2GHz but is the same speed as a P4 3GHz, 256mb DDRAM (upgraded next month cos im a skint student ) :loco: i have a 20GB hard-drive which has windows XP installed and a 160GB hard-drive for most of my recording projects, i use cubase SX on this setup and its never crashed even when using around 2 plug-ins on 14 tracks. but i definately need some more RAM cos the mixdown times are annoying, 5 minutes for an .mp3 file (im impatient)

i also was thinking of buying a amd 64-bit a 3 ghz version like 1024 ddram maybe also 2 drives like nathan also that 160 gb-drive and 20drive
what do you exactly gain with two hard drives does it really matter that much ?
do you guys also use a twinview card for dual monitor use
and which one ?

my brother has a mac but i am just a poor bastard so i have to work with this ...

mark

yeah, specs specs, let's post 'em!

I am currently using:
p4, 1.8 GHz, 512 MB ram (RDRAM! I'm fucked, they don't manufacture them anymore. damn intel...), 2 x 80 GB hard disks, motu 828 interface, cubase sx, video card is some nvidia something...

are firewire drives faster then regular ide drives?

I think I can probably pull off around 10-15 tracks with 2-3 plugs on each with this setup. Not enough, not enough...

marcust said:
i also was thinking of buying a amd 64-bit a 3 ghz version like 1024 ddram maybe also 2 drives like nathan also that 160 gb-drive and 20drive
what do you exactly gain with two hard drives does it really matter that much ?
do you guys also use a twinview card for dual monitor use
and which one ?

my brother has a mac but i am just a poor bastard so i have to work with this ...

mark

the only reason i have two drives is because my PC came with a 20GB one and i bought another one because that 20GB wasnt gonna cut it, im more organised with 2 drives too, my 20gb one is for windows and small programs etc, my bigger one is where i keep my music and games. ive got a graphics card with twinview but never use 2 monitors, id rather just stick to one, the graphics card is a GeForce FX5200.

Two drives is faster as there are two different reading heads finding the information you want. one finds all the information relating to the program/s being used and the other one finds/reads/writes all the audio information.

One of the best things to increase the performance of your systems would be a RAID disk array (google 'RAID' if you don't know what one is). Also, SATA (Serial ATA) drives are also great for audio.

Oh and for specs:

I'm using a laptop (currently)

P4 2.8ghz
512mb DDR (soon to be 1Gb)
Horrible 'Intel Extreme' graphics
Internal 40Gb hdd for programs
External 120Gb USB2 hdd for audio/video (ultra-quiet, fluid bearing system thing-y)
Cubase SX2
Edirol FA-101 Firewire Audio Interface

My desktop plug-in farm is currently D.O.A, has been since Xmas.

I've never pushed my system to it's limits so I don't know what it is capable of.

I have managed 6 instances of Halion (soft-sampler) and 12-audio tracks (each with 2/3 waves plugins on) and I'm yet to have any problems.