Orange PPC412(56k, beware!)

TomiR

Lord Ejaculation
Jun 25, 2006
Finland
It has finally arrived!

Well, about two weeks ago, but I did not want to say anything about it before I had given it a good testdrive.

There has been a lot of hype surrounding these cabs, and the reviews have been very positive, so I felt pretty confident in ordering one.

It is not your average cab, it has more layers of wood than usual(baltic birch), which in my opinion really helps in getting a tight, yet very present low end. Four V30 speakers, 16ohm's, made in England.

This is what Orange sayd about the construction:

"Durability aside, the obvious advantage of denser materials is to aid in thickening your amplifier's sound and improving speaker projection. Orange cabinets feature an 18ply birch plywood shell. The Right Design Orange's unique "skid" design helps to acoustically couple the cabinet to the stage. The advantage? Better definition and bass response."

I ordered mine in black, since I don't personally like the stock orange colour. People were a bit confused when they saw it, since almost nobody knew that you could get one in black.

It is weird that Orange doesen't mention it on their website. I did have to wait a couple of months to get mine, since they only make the black ones if somebody orders one.

It is very well made, flawless was the first word that came into my mind when I was checking the cab out. Looks very classy!

And now to the stuff that really matters, the sound! The reason I didn't want to review the can straightaway, is of course the fact that new speakers need to be driven in, and I did give these speakers a healthy dose of high volume fun.

I have two amps that I use with this cab, a 6505 and a Single Rectifier. I use a Carvin DC727 and a Schecter Hellraiser C-7, so a great low end is a must for me.

I must say, that this cab has a lot of low end, but it stays tight and projects it nicely. Playing some fast palm mute riffs is just euphoric. The high end is smooth and I really love the character of the mids with this cab. No annoying mid-spike. Sounds great with both amps

I tested my friends Recto cab too, but the Orange seems to have a more present sound. The Recto cab sounds awesome, don't get me wrong, but I really like my Orange more. And the Orange is cheaper than the Recto cab here in Finland. And the black finish doesen't add any extra to the price.

So, I am very happy with this cab! These cabs really live up to the hype as far as I am concerned.

Here's some pics, I will try to upload some soundclips later:

The rig, the 6505 still had the settings I used with my 2X12"
Kuva064.jpg

Black metal handles :headbang:
Kuva029.jpg

Kuva046.jpg

Kuva026.jpg

Thanks guys!

I have never used/made impulses, so it might take me some time to make a proper one. But I'll try to get it done by the end of the week.

Goddamn, I can't make Pristine Space work at all :erk:

I was trying to make the impulse file of the Orange cab, but no luck. I'll keep on trying, so keep your thumbs up :headbang:

they look amazing, and sound amazing.
ive been preaching about em ever since i first heard a dual rec thru one

Goddamn, I can't make Pristine Space work at all :erk:

I was trying to make the impulse file of the Orange cab, but no luck. I'll keep on trying, so keep your thumbs up :headbang:

Just "reamp" this sweep through your Loop Return:
Here<----------- (Note: It's sampled @ 96khz)
Make sure that you are not clipping the signal within the amp. ( Easy: If it sounds like a square wave, the signal is too hot).
Post the result here and I'll take care of the deconvolving process for you or use
voxengo deconvolver like DSS3 said.
Cheers!:kickass: