Orange PPC412 vs PPC212

theganjie

New Metal Member
Dec 4, 2011
Ok, so the story goes that i've got my trusty 6505 - Used mostly for live (Deathcore/metalcoreish stuff) and do the odd bit of recording with it. My super old bunky Randall cab is up the shit so it's time to upgrade.

I've come to the conclusion that I want an Orange cab.. and the co$t factor isn't really an issue, so:

Would you guys recommend the 412 or the 212? a 212 would be nice because nobody loves having to lug around a big dirty 412 all the time.. but would it still hold it's own against the 6505/4X12 rig of the other guitarist in my band?

For live I do prefer to have a 412, while it does suck to lug around it looks cooler and for band practices and small venues that don't mic cabinets having more speakers and higher up helps filling the room. On another plus since the speakers aren't being as worked out on a 412 their lifespan will be considerably longer. Tonal wise you will indeed have better resonance and won't have as much of a buildup in the low mids and upper bass (the 150-350Hz range). A 212 with V30s or T75s (or any other high powered speaker) will still hold its own with a 412 cabinet, that is not much of an issue.

Like you said, a 212 will indeed be lighter. Tonality wise some people don't like 212s and inversely, some don't like 412s so that's more a matter of opinion, but most metal players will prefer using a 412. If you don't want to lug around something that weighs a ton then go with the 212. If you want to compensate for a small penis like myself and try to look cool, then get the 412. In reality there is no right answer and no one can really make the decision for you, its just something where you are going to have to weigh out the pros and cons of each and compare them to your situation.

I have two 2x12s and stack them at practice, carry one home for recording.

Orange 2x12s aren't too much smaller than many 4x12s, FYI. They're HUGE!

I own an orange 4x12. It is heavier than the earth itself, so much so; I want to get a beaten up Marshall to use live instead as it that much of a pain on te arse. Sounds great though.

I think i'm going to have to go with the 4x12. I played through one the other day - Holy feck.

Time to buy a back brace me thinks..

I've got the PPC412. What can I say? It's awesome and deffo has a nice sludgy agressive high end if you want that. Loads of low end. A tight amp paired up with it would be awesome.