OrchestratedOpeth

Blackwater Demon

Using Cold Words
Mar 30, 2008
Under The Weaping Moon
How does everyone think it would sound if Opeth did a concert and had a symphony backing them up?Kinda like Metallica did only Opeth are better so the concert would be brilliant but what does everyone else think?

I think it'd be kinda sweet. It might take away from their sound though. Metallica's music just seems to gel well with symphony stuff, Opeth is a bit more all over the place, so yeah.
Though Hessian Peel dabbles in a lot of strings and stuff, and sounds mighty sweet. Some of Opeth's heavier stuff would sound great no doubt.

Songs I reckon that would sound good:
When
Epilogue
Face of Melinda
To Bid You Farewell
Demon of the Fall
Serenity Painted Death
The Drapery Falls
Dirge for November
A Fair Judgement
Windowpane
To Rid the Disease
The Baying of the Hounds
Hours of Wealth
Burden
Hessian Peel

Hmmm... On second thought, maybe there is enough for them to do it.
I'm all for it. It was awesome when Dream Theater did it too, so now it's Opeth's turn!

I agree with that statement about Per. I was thinking that too. But you know, Dream Theater have Jordan Rudess, and they still did it. :p

I don't know about a whole orchestra, but you could definitely use some string instruments (eg. violin, cello, double bass) to extend Opeth's soundscape. With these "metal + classical instrumentation" things, less is usually more.

I wouldn't like to see that. But I would prefer Opeth songs performed by some orchestra as a cover versions. I had already imagined that.
It would sound fantastic. Imagine a violin playing Opeth riffs. Uffff

hessian peel would be amazing with an orchestra, seriously. maybe they could even orchestrate a proper movement into the death metal half of the song that would be awesome.

I'm not to sure about this one. The old albums were rich enough with both guitars (the layers in BWP still give me shivers), and Wilberg's addition to the band would just make an orchestra obsolete.

Too much does not equal better. Gëist was right when he said their music was more intimist.

yeah, it just doesnt fit with opeth's music. It would make it too "blown up"

btw, i still consider Dimmu's "Death Cult Armageddon" as the best album combining metal+orchestral music ever made.

I like the use of other instruments on Watershed, but I'm not sure a full orchestra would actually have a good effect. In the Metallica thing I thought it sometimes felt like the orchestra was doing stuff because it had to rather than because it actually helped, and some songs just didn't work at all. I think part of Opeth is the 70s prog influence, which involves keyboards and not full orchestras.

I like the use of other instruments on Watershed, but I'm not sure a full orchestra would actually have a good effect. In the Metallica thing I thought it sometimes felt like the orchestra was doing stuff because it had to rather than because it actually helped, and some songs just didn't work at all. I think part of Opeth is the 70s prog influence, which involves keyboards and not full orchestras.

Agree 100%. S&M is waaaaaay too busy. But that was Michael Kamen for you, and, for reasons relating to his being dead, he wouldn't be involved in this hypothetical Opethstra thingy. For example, in quiet parts of, say, TBYF, it really should remain just Mike and the guitar. No sotto voce strings, no flutes. But it could be cool to hear maybe. Maybe.

i think i recall peter once hinting to the possibility of opeth doing something like a movie soundtrack or something, as in that possibly being something he thought opeth could one day do. i think this is something i would enjoy, as long as the music and the film went well together. i'm not a big movie freak or anything, but i can think of several opeth songs which have parts which would probably fit well into some kind of movie. i know pink floyd did some movie soundtracks in their very early days, before dark side of the moon. i never saw those movies but i do like a lot of the songs they wrote for those soundtracks. ok i'm sorry i know this doesn't help.

My first reaction was that it's been done and is totally unnecessary. I think I'd need to hear it on ONE song on an album, perhaps. Per does fine job at adding orchestral textures to the songs. I think I like the subtlety he brings, rather than a full orchestra. I don't think it's needed. Metallica didn't impress me when they came out with S&M. I had no interest what-so-ever. However, if you want to hear a very good metal/orchestral hybrid, I suggest Therion.