DVD concert 3 heaviest songs

Well there you go. Demon of the Fall.

Though isn't it the audience who judges the songs, not the artist?

Making fun of the pope and his origin is even more inventive than making jokes about Mendez.

affinityband said:
Well when i was there, he said that deliverance was the third heaviest, he missed out the 2nd( im guessin it couldve been the leper affinity) and at the end when the cameras werent filmin he said, the heaviest song ever recorded by opeth was demon of the fall.

he was referring to the entire OPeth catalog..not just the DVD. As far as the DVD is concerned...Deliverance and MAsters apprentices are the heaviest...Leper is a close 3rd.

Jinn said:
nah, it's the Jinn from Wishmaster.

Thankee.

I want to see Sin City... is it any good?

haha yeah, i don't remember which forum it was, but i saw you talking about all wishmaster shit, and what your new avatar should be..but i don't recall leaving a reply.

anyway..sin city was good. most people that have seen it think it's one of the best movies they've ever seen :shrugs: not me. i think a lot of people that dug it a lot were already into comics a lot, and could appreciate the film more (it was adapted from frank miller's sin city comics).

''he was referring to the entire OPeth catalog..not just the DVD. As far as the DVD is concerned...Deliverance and MAsters apprentices are the heaviest...Leper is a close 3rd.''
the title of the thread was about the dvd that is what i was answering.

If Demon of the fall is considered one of Opeth's heaviest songs they aren't really that heavy. I mean some of their songs are pretty heavy but not unbearably heavy. Heck, even Deliverance which they consifer to be one of their most brutal has a sizeable acoustic section. I personally don't care for real heavy music as I am more of a Porcupine Tree, Cold, Alice In chains kind of listener. Opeth can get heavy at times but overall they really don't. Lately I have downloaded death metal for the growling.

What are the heaviest Opeth songs anyway? I was thinking Wreath, Masters Apperentices, and By the Pain I see in Others. They have the fewest acoustic or melodic sections in my opinion.

It all depends in the definition of you give to the word Heavy when referring to a song. For some people, Heavy means brutally fast and aggressive like Napalm Death or Krisiun, for some others, Heavy means downtuned and very slow like Solitude Aeturnus or Cathedral. Some others will say that Heavy is rather a compromise between the aforementionned, meaning downtuned and brutal like Obituary or My Dying Bride.

There is also the lyrics content which could turn a ordinary song into a heavy song or vice versa.

For Demon of the Fall and Master Apprentices, I don't consider them as 100% Heavy because they start Heavy but shift slowly into more melodic songs.

Run Away ... Run Away ... is not as Heavy as Morbid Angel's Blessed are the Sick if you know what I mean.

Anyway, back to the topic. The three heavieast Opeth songs per my opinion are (by coincidence) in exact chronological order in their entire discography.

1- Blackwater Park
2- Wreath
3- Deliverance

... End of transmission. :rolleyes:

Maybe one of these...
Forest of October.
Godhead's Lament.
By the Pain I See in Others.
The Amen Corner.

Edit: Ok, I should've posted 3. Screw it, that's more or less the ones I believe are 'heaviest' though.

cthulufhtagn said:
^mmm, godhead's lament....deliciously heavy....
Yes especially the folk part.

The opening riff to Deliverance would be, in my opinion, the second heaviest Opeth riff - the first being Black Rose Immortal at 5:10.

As whole songs, I really can't put any with singing in it, unless theres only a small murmur, so:
3. Blackwater Park
2. Advent (towards the end it get's flippin' heavy for Opeth)
1. Wreath

would be mine.

BRI said:
Yes especially the folk part.

The opening riff to Deliverance would be, in my opinion, the second heaviest Opeth riff - the first being Black Rose Immortal at 5:10.

As whole songs, I really can't put any with singing in it, unless theres only a small murmur, so:
3. Blackwater Park
2. Advent (towards the end it get's flippin' heavy for Opeth)
1. Wreath

would be mine.

You mean 3:45? Yeah.