Orchid

Originally posted by Useful Idiot
I find it absolutely remarkable that Opeth managed to put out Still Life only one year after MAYH and BWP only 2 years after Still Life. I would expect albums of this complexity and quality to take far longer than that.

I don't. It was worth waiting 2 and a half years for Morningrise (although the writing on some of the material started in 9t1) and I would gladly waited another 5 yrs after MAYH to have another Morningrise.

Originally posted by Wolff

Take it song by song. And feel free to add yuor own thoughts/comments to my commentary.

I love all Opeth discs but the first two are my favorites simply because I'm a huge bass fan and the bass lines seem to be more developed on the first two albums.

Interestingly on the MMBB (Metal Maniacs Bulletin Board) where I usually post "My Arms, Your Hearse" always takes favorite Opeth album hands down.

My personal favorite is probably "Morning Rise" but it's really hard to say, they're all so good!

Wolff, do you view BWP and Still Life as bad albums or just albums inferior to Morningrise and Orchid?

Pointless question IMO.

Suffice to say I listen to them seldomly, and when I do, I use the next button quite a bit.

As for the perceived degradation of quality in Opeth's music, I think it's mostly because the more they tour, the less time they have to write music. Orchid and Morningrise were written over the course of several years. They don't have the luxury of time like they used to. -rouge27 In an interview I read, Mike said that he actually has more time them ever to write music with Peter because he doesn't work at the music store anymore so he devotes all his time to it. But, granted, having days off to write doesn't exactly make up for 7 years.

Regarding BP and Still Life, "I listen to them seldomly, and when I do, I use the next button quite a bit." -Wolff Boooo! :p I'm only goofin' with ya. I use the back button if anything. I didn't like Still Life when I first heard it compared to others that took it in as one of their own the first day they heard it. I still treasured it as a new addition to the Opeth family, but believe it or not, Mike's advanced style of singing on this album deterred me for a while. It wasn't what I expected/wanted. What a voice on this guy! :) So, like you all know, sometimes it just takes a few more listens and sure enough, I was wondering around humming SPD and Benighted before I knew it.

Lynn

"I slither for you and I’m dying."

Originally posted by Wolff

Pointless question IMO.
Pointless, eh? After reading all of your opinions on Morningrise and Orchid, I was just curious to know exactly how BWP and Still Life fit into the mess.

Pointless, eh? After reading all of your opinions on Morningrise and Orchid, I was just curious to know exactly how BWP and Still Life fit into the mess.

SL, I like:
The Moor
Godhead's Lament
Face of Melinda
I dislike Moonlapse, SPD.

BWP, I like:
Leper
Bleak
Harvest
Drapery
I don't particularly care for Dirge, Funeral and the title track.

MAYH, I like:
When, Madrigal, Demon, Credence, Epilogue.
I don't care for Karma.

Morningrise I spin the whole album.
Orchid, likewise.

For the non-mention songs... depends on the mood.

As far as listening habits: I usually tend not to do anything else when I'm listening to OPETH. I never play it on the background... that's an injustice to good music.

I first got BWP and then I bought the albums backwards, SL, MAYH, Morningrise. Havent bought Orchid yet.

I think BWP is the most intelligent album of them all. It is great music and it has a great sound. I think Mikael does the most evil growls on this album. It took some days to melt it. Still Life was harder to melt beacause it was my second album, and it was hard to take some new sounds than on BWP. It was also the softest and sadest of them all. MAYH was so agressive! It sounded like everything goes to hell from beginning to end. This took me like 5 days to melt. I bought Morningrise a couple of days ago and this is probably the most hard melted albums of them all!
It is totally different from the later Opeth Ive heard, and its much more harmony in the riffs. This will take me months to melt!!!
Its a HUGE step between MAYH and Morningrise.

my stupid opinion: morningrise was the hardest for me to get into also. it use to be the one i listen to least, now i listen to it everyday. i think it's the best opeth album is because it is more about love and deeper than the other 4 album. and i think music about love is one of finest music and hardest to write. (my english is bad) i also listen to orchid alot. there thing about orchid and morningrise that seperate from the other 3 is, it is pure...........or purer preferer by some people. morningrise is a very feminine album. and orchid have a flower but i think it's more masculine. but i like the color blue more than red. whenever i think of apostle of triumph, i think of green. mornngrise is almost black. none of their cd resembling the color blue.
http://terrymx.50megs.com/orchid-redesign.jpg

sometime the 50megs won;t allow you to click on the image, then you have to copy and paste the link to the adress bar

Originally posted by terrymx
and i think music about love is one of finest music and hardest to write
That can sometimes be true, but remember that almost every damn pop song has the same shallow version of the topic of love.

there is many form of love. i know what you mean but just becuz pop people think they write about love, it's about fuck me and then bye bye bye. that is just meaningless, it isn;t the real type, it's crap. i guess in morningrise it is more depressing. but i use it to convert it to my own meaning, making it......blisssssssss.

Originally posted by warsofwinter
morningrise I loved soon as I heard the first riff , I didn't buy orchid .

huh... what exactly are you waiting for?