Origin II

Spruce Goose

Then Goose me up woman!
Apr 17, 2001
Sydney
scholar.uws.edu.au~13326874
Only a coupla hours away now. So discuss and stuff!

I can see this game being as good as the first, although Queensland have gone for a more attacking team compared to the last coupla years where they have relied on brutal defense and strength... Should be interesting, but I cant see Berrigan/Ikin/Bowen/Crocker getting the upper hand over Johns/Timmins/Wing/Buderus

NSW to make it 2 zip

I like the look of the Qld team - some tough blokes, some fast blokes, and some excellent playmaker blokes. I'm guessing NSW will win, but I shall be very optimistic this evening nonetheless.

Hardly! He is a bitter, whiny disgrace. He does NOTHING to promote the games, its a joke.

Oh, and word is that some bloke named Russell Crowe is hosting the game tonight, doing the stuff Ken Sutcliffe would normally do. Should be interesting. :)

What about the Arnie adds ....
Ben Kennedy.... He's back. hahahah :)

Now that I live in Victoria I have to wait till 10:30 to watch the bloody thing !! Stupid AFL !

That was one of the shittest Origin games I've ever watched....

Qld were absolutly pathetic! Andrew Gee is USELESS!!!! What the hell is he doing in the team?! He offers NOTHING. And as for Ben Ikin being their 'attack' player.. PFFFFFFFFT. He is shithouse. Way past it!

Wayne Bennett needs to put some of the old blokes like Gee to rest and blood some new up and comers for Origin 3. I'd put in Corey Parker from the Broncos over Gee. He missed so many crucial tackles it wasnt funny!

Queensland's finished while they continue to rely on blokes like Gee and Ikin. Even Webcke should go, missing a vital tackle metres from the line. He just stood there and watched Timmins score. Hegarty and that other fella failing to ground the ball over their own line so that NSW could score after a dodgy kick... They just fell to bits. The Blues ran them ragged and they couldn't recover. I was saying to weetbix at one stage that I hadn't seen a Blues player make a tackle for minutes at a time because QLD didn't have the ball.
But what about Ricketson? The guy's a fucking machine. He made 25 tackles in 20 minutes or something. What does he eat? And Johns' field goal at half time - pure genuis. And that line kick from the 20 metre restart - pure genius. The man's a deadset miracle worker.

Queensland were woeful. Matt Sing was the only one who really did anything substantial, and is the only one who should have been able to hold his head up after the game. Scott Sattler's passes from dummy half looked shaky at best, and Darren Lockyer couldn't do anything because of the deadwood surrounding him. Matt Bowen didn't even get a chance to show what he could do because he only got to touch the ball once or twice when he came on in the last 20 minutes or so - that was almost as much of a waste of a great player as Motu Tony coming on at the 70th minute during the Australia vs New Zealand test in Wellington last year.

While I still think Wayne Bennett is the best rugby league coach, at least since Jack Gibson, I think it's time for him to let Michael Hagan coach next year. Time for some NEW new blood, I think. Hopefully they don't make too many radical changes for the third game - I don't like seeing new players in the maroon jersey who don't really deserve it probably won't play again just because they need a quick fix (Nathan Fien in 2001, anybody? He was a halfback, Qld needed a hooker, so he played hooker for the Cowboys for one week and got the job - pathetic).

I saw Jim Dymock (I think) do the same thing - kick for touch on the 20 metre restart - back in 2000 when the Eels beat the Roosters during the semis, and nobody carried on about what a stroke of genius it was... the field goal was a nice touch, though. :)

Spiff said:
I saw Jim Dymock (I think) do the same thing - kick for touch on the 20 metre restart - back in 2000 when the Eels beat the Roosters during the semis, and nobody carried on about what a stroke of genius it was... the field goal was a nice touch, though. :)
True, but it is a stroke of genius because no one expects it. You get off your own 20 metre line without having to run down the defence line. The 20 metre restart is a kick. It's usually played as a tap kick, but any kind of kick will do, and people forget that. As long as the ball is played with the foot, it's a kick.

Oh and Tonie Carrol had a shocker!

QLD were really bad. They never once looked dangerous in attack, and Bailey was having a field day up the middle...

There was a fight though, so that was good.