Origin of the Woods Of Ypres name?

Miltbrand

May 15, 2004
Denmark
Well, I know where Ypres is located, it´s in the north western corner of Belgium.
But is WoY inspired by the heavy fighting in and around it during WWI?

The name originally comes from the song title "The Woods of Ypres" written and recorded by a Windsor, Ontario, experimental hardcore band: FACT OF DEATH (R.I.P.). The song was written about 'Ypres Park' as people commonly referred to it (I belive it was actually called Optimist Park) on Ypres Rd. in Windsor Ontario. The park itself was in fact named after the WWI 'Battle of Ypres' in Belgium that was fought by Canadian soldiers (I have also heard that that this was the first, or one of the first battles on record where chemical warfare was used). The park in Windsor was named after Ypres in tribute after soldiers from that battle settled near that area after WWI was over (or so the story goes).

In spring of 2002, I remember Aaron (former bassist) and I driving around in Windsor when he was telling me about FACT OF DEATH and 'The Woods of Ypres'. This was when we were still conceptualising our band for the first time and were still searching for the right name. I said "That's it! Let's ask those guys if they will give us permission to use it" (at this time we were completely unknown). Because we were near that neighbourhood at the time of this conversation, we drove to the park and had a walk around, just to see how we felt about it. Later that day, we contacted FACT OF DEATH and they allowed us to use the name. Thus was the beginning.

About the actual 'Ypres Park' in Windsor, Ontario: It's a fenced in park of tall, spooky trees in the middle of what is now mostly an industrial/factory area, (which was also an early metaphor for WoY, being the only black metal band in a city drowning in 'Hardcore' bands). WoY's very first promotional photo shoot was done in "Ypres Park" by a photographer named Eden Baltulis. The photo used on the back of the "Against the Seasons" re-release was taken on that night in the park. Notice the blue light behind the silouettes. This is an actual huge blue light installed in the middle of the park that is lit up throught the nights during the summer (mostly for security reasons). I loved this effect, especially in this photo because it looks as if there was a 'winter explosion' going on in the distance behind us, amongst the otherwise green leaves of trees, hence: "Cold Winter Songs from the Dead Summer Heat"

To this day, WoY has never written any music or lyrics with direct reference to history or war. The many different coincidences and most interpretations that help the name fit with what WoY has done and will continue to do, have only worked to our advantage.

Woods = black metal, and black metal themes of trees, and natural things.
Ypres = reprsentative of our Canadian heritage, in reference to Canadian history.

Overall: Woods of Ypres = black metal from Canada.

:)

Though there are many different pronounciations throughout the world, in reference to this band, Ypres is pronounced: "E-Pray"

Cool! Right, so in some way I wasn´t too far off....

About the gas: The Germans tested their gas on the eastern front against the Russians, before Ypres. But it didn´t work because it was too cold. So Ypres was the first place it was used strategically and with a real effect.

There are some woods on Ypres Street in Windsor, not too far from me. I assumed that's where they got their name. David Gold seems to know a lot about it.

... but here's the funny thing... Ypres is actually pronounced "Yeeps," but I guess no one paid attention to that. I still think they pronounce it like it's spelled.

... but here's the funny thing... Ypres is actually pronounced "Yeeps," but I guess no one paid attention to that. I still think they pronounce it like it's spelled.
Everyone thinks their way is the right way, including us. In reference to this band, it is and has always been "E-Pray".

I think I should post a list of WoY FAQ's. This will be #1.

Needless to say, being from Flanders, Belgium myself, I immediately wondered about the origin of the name upon seeing it. The explanation was an interesting read.

Of course out here, we will most likely pronounce the name "eepre'h" or something along those lines, since it is much closer to the actual Dutch pronunciation. Incidentally, the name of the place is actually spelled Ieper in our language. Pronounced "eeper".
Then again, a band basically goes with the pronunciation they wanted, in the first place. So "e-pray" it is.

Speaking of an FAQ on the site, that would indeed be another nice asset. Not the only one, in fact. Are there any plans on a major overhaul of the site? The general look is cool, but content wise there is a lot of room for expansion, let's say. And I mean that in the most friendly of ways, since I'd simply like to browse around a more elaborate WoY site.

Speaking of an FAQ on the site, that would indeed be another nice asset. Not the only one, in fact. Are there any plans on a major overhaul of the site? The general look is cool, but content wise there is a lot of room for expansion, let's say. And I mean that in the most friendly of ways, since I'd simply like to browse around a more elaborate WoY site.

We've always wanted to do a thorough website with complete bio etc etc...but there seriously has never been enough time to devote to it (or you could say that it has never been a priority as it seems there are always more pressing issues to tend to). The site that's up right now is slightly modified version of the site designed for the release of "Pursuit of the Sun..." almost two years ago.

A new and complete website is being designed to coincide with the hype and release of "Woods 3" this fall. It will be "pro"! :)

David Gold said:
We've always wanted to do a thorough website with complete bio etc etc...but there seriously has never been enough time to devote to it (or you could say that it has never been a priority as it seems there are always more pressing issues to tend to).
Of course I understand (as do most people I assume) creating music is the first and foremost important issue for bands. The rest is window dressing to a certain degree, even though in this day and age the importance of a good site is not to be underestimated. "Good" meaning both visually attractive as well as holding enough content to be the main online portal of that band.

David Gold said:
A new and complete website is being designed to coincide with the hype and release of "Woods 3" this fall. It will be "pro"! :)
Sweet! Looking forward to that, already. Especially to the album, that is. :cool:

Everyone thinks their way is the right way, including us. In reference to this band, it is and has always been "E-Pray".

I think I should post a list of WoY FAQ's. This will be #1.
The only correct spelling in dutch is IEPER, and it's pronounced E-P-E-R:lol:
i just know this becaus i live there

the various battles of ypres were some of the defining moments for the canadian military, but most notably, at the second battle (i believe..) the germans bombarded our lines with mustard gas. one of the canadian troops was a chemist, and proceeded to piss on his handkerchief and tie it over his nose, the other troops followed suit, and with urine soaked handkerchiefs over their faces held the line against the attacking germans who outnumbered them 3 to 1. the germans were unprepared for battle however, and did not manage to budge the canadians. however, the british and french troops in the trenches to the left and right of the canadians fell back.