Original Floyd Rose - Techie Help

Jul 23, 2007
I seem to have a problem with the holder for my trem bar. the screw that comes in from the back cavity and keeps the holder (with the threads that the bar screws into) in place seems to come loose with light up & down movements to the bar (literally 3-4 harmonic squeals).

Taken from someone else's diagram :p

ofruj7.png

that holder unit doesn't seem to stay clamped down, and the bar not only swings wildly, but because the holder is loose, the bar just rattles around without really moving the bridge. I checked the threads for the screw and the holder, and neither seem to be stripped. any suggestions?

edit: i think the problem is that when the bar turns, it moves the whole holder unit as a whole, though I'm not completely sure. I've tried sticking gun oil on it to make it move more smoothly in the holder but that didn't work.

try tighting the shit from underneath. the bottom of the whammy bar holder. Tightenet throught the back of the guitar.

aint a Floyd Rose is it ? Cheap "licenced by" ? Some are better than others. My real Floyd is wore out but not the problem your having. the bar just wont stay up but the bushing is not loose. Maybe you can run to a hardware store or auto parts store and get a washer to shim things a bit so it tightens ? Maybe some loctite on the screw threads if your saying it wont stay tight ? Hard to say without seeing it or really understanding the problem.

aint a Floyd Rose is it ? Cheap "licenced by" ? Some are better than others. My real Floyd is wore out but not the problem your having. the bar just wont stay up but the bushing is not loose. Maybe you can run to a hardware store or auto parts store and get a washer to shim things a bit so it tightens ? Maybe some loctite on the screw threads if your saying it wont stay tight ? Hard to say without seeing it or really understanding the problem.

as i obsessively check this thread XD

when the bar rotates, it moves the entire holder unit, which well, loosens the screw.

i was going to try a locking washer next.

its a real floyd rose. says it, and its ESP custom shop so :p

but thanks i think im going to see what the hardware store says. to me, i think that the holder unit fits almost too tightly on the bar, preventing it from rotating without moving the entire unit...

if its a new ESP custom shop I think your beef is with them and they will make it right. Dont start messing with it for warrantee purposes. Maybe your tightening the thumb nut down to tight? Thats suppose to just be finger tight with a touch of oil on the bar to prevent premature ware. I was told not useing oil was the early demise of mine.

Does it say "Floyd Rose" or does it say "Licenced by Floyd Rose" ? Still shouldnt be bad eitherway but there are cheap "Licenced by ..." tremolos.

Check the Bushing, and the little screw that sets the piece to insert your tremolo arm

Don't go to a hardware store go see your guitar repair guy in town for parts trust me on it