Original Satan's Lounge Band L'Amour show(s)

khalpin

New Metal Member
May 3, 2012
First time posting...I was wondering if anyone had any info on the original Satan's Lounge Band shows at L'Amour in Brooklyn. It's one of two or three tickets stubs that I lost over the years and I'm trying to figure out what date it was. If I remember correctly, they played two shows (Friday, Saturday). I think I remember going to the show on January 16th, which was a Friday in 1987 and Saturday in 1988. I'm leaning towards 1988. I saw them in December 13, 1987 in Passaic at the Capital Theater w/Exodus & Celtic Frost. I can't remember if the L'Amour show was before or after that. I remember seeing the ad in East Coast Rocker and realizing that it was a "secret show". It was right around the time Iron Maiden played there. Their ad was "Charlotte and the Harlots: Run to the hills for tickets" We couldn't get tickets for that one. L'Amour tickets were at their box office only. You couldn't get them through Ticketmaster or Ticketron.

The show itself was a bit of a haze music-wise. I know L'Amour usually fit 2,000 people, but they removed all the tables to squeeze in another 500 people. That place was ridiculously packed. Absolutely no elbow room at all. You just kind of swayed along with the crowd, taking quick, tiny steps. One guy turned to me and said, "If I go down, help me up. I don't want to get trampled. And I'll watch your back." I also recall the "Wall of Death" occurring several times during the show where a bunch of people would line up, lock arms and press towards the stage trying to crush people. It was the longest set I'd ever seen. I think they played until 4:30. I actually left the venue towards the end as it was so ridiculously hot in there and I was sweating my balls off, only to go outside in 15 degree weather wearing just a jeans jacket. I had to wait another half hour or so for all my friends to exit the show. And then there were a bunch of skinheads outside with 2x4s with nails in them waiting for the show to let out and beat the hell out of the "longhairs". Luckily my pitiful mullet didn't grab their attention, but my friends literally had to run and jump into the car.

I'll never forget the madness/mosh pit that ensued when Joey yelled "Wardance" in Indians. I'll take that memory to the grave.

Sorry, I wasn't intending on such a long post. Just kinda happened.

awesome post khalpin! Funny too that as soon as I began reading your post i began mixing up the thrax secret show and the IM one. The later was on a Sunday night if I am not mistaken. There is an older thread here on the site that says, "On December 15 and 16, 1989 at L' Amours, two more shows were done under the name Satan's Lounge Band." So State of Euphoria dates before the Ozzy tour if I'm not mistaken.

For anyone who's interested - just found this whole show online, apparently recorded at L'Amours in December 89. Awesome stuff indeed.

Last edited by a moderator: