Originally it was an snare problem. Now i think is a whole mixing problem

Manifesto

Martín
Feb 10, 2010
Santiago, Chile.
Hi i'm new to the forum but a long time reader.
I'm clearly a noob in "mixing" and recording and i thought that the problem with this mix was mainly the snare.
i need help with the snare but i did not want to post a thread like "Snare EQ help!!" because i think that it's useless asking for help if nobody knows how your song sounds.
So... here is a short reference song (it's not actually a song it's just a sample of how my songs are like)

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4615283/Igniphera%20-Tha%20Sound%20thet%20we%27ve%20lookin%27%204.mp3

I know that when the Dual Harmony kicks in the song starts clippin'. It's possibly a compressor thing... well i really dont know what to do in order to NOT clip when i add 2 new tracks. (noob alert!)

any help or tip will be very appreciated
If you want to throw some shit straight to my face and burn me, i have no problem.
i'm here to learn from guys who really know what they are doing.:worship:

That mix is simply too loud, the compressor on the master bus is pumping hard time to pull the music down. Even All Shall Perish doesn't sound as loud as this mix. There is simply a point where you should stop compressing or the mix starts sounding like shit. You can probably compress less and use a limiter insted to bring back the volume if you judge it's not as loud as you would like allready. Man if we could get back in time where the loudness war didn't exist... You wouldn't be asking that question since there would be no ugly compressor on your master bus and your mix would simply sound fine as I judged had a nice tonal balance.

so AerialThesis... do you think that the mix has some kind of future? very appreciated answer by the way.
the reference to the loudness war make me feel like a monkey tryin' to hit a drum louder than anyone in his tribe (of course mokeys doesn't use compressors... and that would make me less than that drummer monkey)