Orphaned Land... strange news...

Everybody seems to be going nuts for this partnership, but I'm probably the only one really wary of the situation. The fact is, we have to look at what happened to OPETH.

Did Opeth want to become PT clones? Or did Steve Wilson bully them into that new direction, simply by being the overbearing producer? Or is it just inherent that whichever producer you work with, his personal style/preference is going to reflect in the resulting music?

The fact is, if you listen to PT's "In Absentia", it is scary just how similar it is to latter day Opeth. In fact, throw in some death growls and you're 90% of the way there. That is bad news people, bad news indeed.

I'm not against this because it's too soon to judge, but I hope Orphaned Land don't fall victim in the way Opeth did.

Based on the strength of Mabool, I just don't even see why OL need Steve Wilson at all. It's not like he's going to improve anything. It only means he's going to CHANGE things -- now I'm not against change, but I am against it if all it means is that we're going to be listening to another PT side project.

JayKeeley said:
Everybody seems to be going nuts for this partnership, but I'm probably the only one really wary of the situation.

No you're not the only one!

I'm of the opinion that Opeth and Porcupine Tree have been basically DESTROYING each other. Call it extreme or close-minded but my appreciation of both bands goes along the line of:
old = :kickass:
post Wilson-Akerfeldt manlove = :ill:

I don't know what's going on with Wilson producing Orphaned Land but I'm sure willing to convert to fucking Judaism if it would prevent him to extend his obtrusive paw over their songwriting :mad:

i'm fine with it as long as they don't use that goddamn phone voice, yeesh :yell:

well i get what jk is saying, i like the SW-produced opeth albums fine but compared to the others they're a step down yea, and the SW influence is pretty obvious....i think he could do a lot for this album, i just don't want him to jizz all over it

To be honest I really dont think Wilson had much doing in the degeneration of quality (imo) of Opeth's music. Opeth sounded like they were going down this path (again, to me at least) even before Wilson started producing/collaborating with them. I was really bored by both Deliverance and Ghost Reveries, and contrastly loved In Absentia and Deadwing. So, I really dont know how this will turn out, I guess Im slightly optimistic though.

I reject the theory that SW was the cause of Opeth's downfall, unless you blame Akerfeldt for taking his respect for him too far. I certainly don't expect him to recast Orphaned Land in his own image, though I do have some doubts about whether his production style will interfere with OL's atmosphere.

The O_L guys have been fans of his music and work with PT for years now.
For them its like a dream come true.
According to them: nothing will interfere with their style.
they just love and appreciate his work.
I'm really happy for them... its huge.

and btw.. I agree that he wasn't the cause for Opeth's downfall...

I'm not going to blame Wilson or anything, but Blackwater Park, Deliverance and Damnation are the weakest albums in Opeth's catalogue. Ghost Reveries by contrast is quite a phenomenal album and feels like what they had been trying to achieve since 2000.

Mabool is such a gorgeous album, it really doesn't have a weakness. I don't see any reason to do anything but build on that formula and I don't necessarily think there will be huge changes implemented because of this, but you never know.

Maybe take Deliverance out of my statement there, that album still fucking rules. I just don't listen to it as much as I used to, but there is some AMAZING stuff on there and the title track is perhaps their best song. Yeah, fuckin Deliverance >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Blackwater Park and Damnation doesn't really count. I've never been real keen on BWP.

Ranking Opeth albums is the most pointless activity I can imagine myself doing though, as any of their 6 best could at anytime be numero uno.

Off topic:loco: :Is Orphaned Land's early material at all near the level of Mabool?

I actually dig Mabool to a degree. Some amazing music, to be sure.

On the other hand, Wilson just needs to leave metal alone. Seriosuly, it was better before he infested it.

Opeth17: Try El Norra Alila

NADatar said:
Shit yeah! I might start enjoying Orphaned Land now. :loco:

You should listen to the Mabool CD-R I sent you 2 years ago then. :loco: The first half is phenomenal, and then somehow they do the impossible and make the last half even better. 10/10 buy or die (and now probably in my top 10 of all time).

Re: Steve Wilson -- I can only imagine the people who aren't exactly fearful of his input happen to be fans of Porcupine Tree, and that's not an entirely objective standpoint. If anything, you would welcome his involvement.

And don't tell me Opeth weren't influenced by Steve Wilson (solicited or otherwise), puh-lease. Unless you believe in magical coincidences. That said, I really like Deliverance.

Deliverance >>> BWP > Ghost Reveries >>>>> Madder Mortem leftovers > Damnation

JayKeeley said:
You should listen to the Mabool CD-R I sent you 2 years ago then. :loco: The first half is phenomenal, and then somehow they do the impossible and make the last half even better. 10/10 buy or die (and now probably in my top 10 of all time).
I did listen to it! :tickled: I liked it, but it didn't capture my attention really. Might dig it out again one of these days, since it gets discussed periodacallcaydaly 'round these parts.

JayK said:
Re: Steve Wilson -- I can only imagine the people who aren't exactly fearful of his input happen to be fans of Porcupine Tree, and that's not an entirely objective standpoint. If anything, you would welcome his involvement.
I'm not really a fan of Porcupine Tree (have one album + a 2-disc collection, each gets played about twice a year), I'm just a huge fan of Opeth's Wilson-days. Well, I don't know about Ghost Reveries, only listened to my illegally downloaded copy once and didn't bother with it again.