OT: 666

Time-Machinist said:
Religions create people which are fragile, agressive, obsessive, narrow-minded, hypocritical (most are unaware of that they are) etc. Thus, they hardly can adopt new ideas, adapt to new conditions. Thus they are open to be (ab)used or (ab)use. Of course education is another case in this matter. If a religious person is properly educated, he he may not have all these characteristics; but can not stand away some of them totally IMO.
imo i completely disagree. these traits exist just as prevalently in atheists as well. every word... religion is just a scapegoat for the stupidity of human behavior and an excuse to blame when no real blame can be found.

Time-Machinist said:
Religions create people which are fragile, agressive, obsessive, narrow-minded, hypocritical (most are unaware of that they are) etc. Thus, they hardly can adopt new ideas, adapt to new conditions. Thus they are open to be (ab)used or (ab)use. Of course education is another case in this matter. If a religious person is properly educated, he he may not have all these characteristics; but can not stand away some of them totally IMO.

And BTW, ok people hurt people, but this is a sort of cycle. There are some things which create people, who hurt people.

I hope, i don't offend any religious person here; cos i have several religious friends that i like very much. But if there hadn't been any religion, things would have been much better for humanity from my point of view.

Well, look at the other side of the coin. How many people has religion helped in taking in the poor, the weak, the broken and turned their lives around? I'm not so sure that popular religions DO create the kind of person that you've described up there. Sure, they may be a bit less open minded if anything, but not to the extent of what you said. Maybe the fanatics might end up on the short end of the stick, but there's people who become obsessive over anything and everything.

I sort of agree with what you said at the end though, about religion being not so healthy for humanity. But I would rephrase that in saying if organized religion never touched upon as many aspects of life as it has, there would be less fuels for the fires today.

Kenneth R. said:
imo i completely disagree. these traits exist just as prevalently in atheists as well. every word... religion is just a scapegoat for the stupidity of human behavior and an excuse to blame when no real blame can be found.

Exactly! Thay sums it all up right there.

there is no doubt that a lot of the values that almost and religion teaches are very benificial to humanity. IMO, people abuse religion, and are, what do you call it? grocery store christians? something like that... you have one of these but none of those, or basically you pick and choose which values you want to adhere to rather than taken everything your religion teaches to heart, and then it falls apart.

and when non-religious people say that religion hurts people... you sound just like the christian that says every other relgion hurts, or the muslim that thinks every other religion hurts people. Read through just about every major religious text and i'll bet you'll find that its not the religion that hurts the people, its the people that give the religion a bad name.

it was a JOKE people!!! :lol: - It wasnt meant to start a religious thread-war!

raythetse said:
and when non-religious people say that religion hurts people... you sound just like the christian that says every other relgion hurts, or the muslim that thinks every other religion hurts people.

For the record, I'm a raised Catholic, so I can say whatever I want about 'my people' :p

P.S. its the people that CREATE the religion - it doesn't just come from no where.

Eh, who cares really....

Catholicism is a waste of a perfectly good sunday morning. Thats all I care to say anyway..