OT: Argh! $3.49 GAS In Michigan!

It was $2.82 at an ARCO AM\PM (always crowded) today - generally the cheapest stations around me. There is an "independent" station near that's cheap but I usually say fuck it and pay the $.08 to $.12 at some other store because it's more convenient.

$3.95-$3.99 yesterday in NW Ohio. We have two refineries in the area so I'm confused. I was told that the state is making a $1.40 off of each gallon sold citing 9/11 for econmic loses(to all states). Thanks Bob Taft! And now Katrina for the refineries in the Gulf. Got a e-mail fowarded to me trying to get everyone in the U.S. not to buy any gas on Sept. 5th. I'll try it, could be funny.

Drokk said:
Just because the USD doesn't buy you as many, say, euros, as it did a few years ago, doesn't mean that the euro is worth more in its own region; relative to the standard of living in euro countries, petrol prices are still much higher than in the U.S., relatively speaking. I would say that petrol prices in the U.S. have been artificially low for a very long time. Again, maybe now people will start to think about the car they drive (buying more fuel-efficient cars), now that it directly affects their pocketbook.

I have to disagree. Our is not artificially low. Your's is artificially high.
Although it's true that our large oil reserve helps to keep prices a little bit under control, Europe's petroleum prices are high due to the large amount of taxes on them.

ThraxMan said:
Mio isn't far from me. I live in Grayling. Gas is around $3.19 to $3.49 in the area for RUNL.

ThraxMan

ThraxMan,

Do you know if there are any gas shortages 'Up-North'? (Mio, Luzerne, Atlanta area)
I'm worried about getting my ass back home!!!

Lordlindsey said:
MichiMikey said:
Took the camper to Barton Lake in Fremont, IN - from Garden City (detroit), MI last weekend. Cost me $125 in fuel costs. :OMG: [/QUOTE

What are you towing it with a 1978 carburated pickup? ;)

'03 Durango - 12.5 MPH w/trailer

eighteeschick said:
It's scary to think how quickly the price went up when just a few weeks ago we had this same discussion, only then the speculation was $3.00 a gallon and we thought that was ridiculous. And as I stated in other thread, I hate SUVs and H2s as well. I don't give people sympathy who drive them either because I have to pay the same damn price they do and they are eating up way more gas than me.

That is assuming they do as much driving as you do, which is assuming a lot, and probably wrong. People with more fuel efficient cars, in general, drive more.

Bass Fellow said:
$3.95-$3.99 yesterday in NW Ohio. We have two refineries in the area so I'm confused. I was told that the state is making a $1.40 off of each gallon sold citing 9/11 for econmic loses(to all states). Thanks Bob Taft! And now Katrina for the refineries in the Gulf. Got a e-mail fowarded to me trying to get everyone in the U.S. not to buy any gas on Sept. 5th. I'll try it, could be funny.

Please everyone do that. Don't buy gas on Sept. 5. If it actually works and the price falls, you can bet your ass I will be there filling up on cheap gas.

Lordlindsey said:
I have to disagree. Our is not artificially low. Your's is artificially high.
Although it's true that our large oil reserve helps to keep prices a little bit under control, Europe's petroleum prices are high due to the large amount of taxes on them.

Because of taxes, both Europe and the US's gas are artificially high. (Europe's more than the US.) I'd rather people pay for the roads they use at particular times rather than taxing all gasoline equally. Why should people be using busy interstates during rush hour pay the same price as people using rarely-travelled country roads?

jdelpi said:
It's demand and supply that control prices.

Your right. It's just like how when Greenspan speaks about the economy, it usually has zero effect on stocks or anything like that.Things could be going just peachy for the economy but as soon as Greenspan says there is going to be some gloom and doom, then it immediately makes the economy and stocks go straight back in the shitter.(I'm obviously being a sarcastic asshole:D Sorry jdelpi, I'm not trying to be a dick)

Another example is when the U.S. embassy in Saudi Arabia got a terrorist threat and had to close recently. The media jumped on that story and said that it was going to make gas prices go up and sure enough, they did. Nothing bad happened. No oil rigs were destroyed. Oil production never halted. NOTHING. So if that story never made it to the media do you think the prices would have still went up? Kinda like the old "If a tree fell in the woods....:loco: "

I agree, that there is a gas shortage right now, but to think that what is said on television or radio has no effect on gas or it's prices, is just plain silly.The same thing can be said on just about everything. Media is a very powerful and persuasive tool. If people are told there is going to be a shortage...Guess what happens? Everyone rushes out to fill their cars up, which causes the shortage.

FYI: to all the guys in Michigan. I just got a state employee email from the governor, saying that the gas is going down to $2.99. I guess she made some ageement with the local gas owners. So thats some pretty good news.

MyHatred said:
Your right. It's just like how when Greenspan speaks about the economy, it usually has zero effect on stocks or anything like that.Things could be going just peachy for the economy but as soon as Greenspan says there is going to be some gloom and doom, then it immediately makes the economy and stocks go straight back in the shitter.(I'm obviously being a sarcastic asshole:D Sorry jdelpi, I'm not trying to be a dick)

Another example is when the U.S. embassy in Saudi Arabia got a terrorist threat and had to close recently. The media jumped on that story and said that it was going to make gas prices go up and sure enough, they did. Nothing bad happened. No oil rigs were destroyed. Oil production never halted. NOTHING. So if that story never made it to the media do you think the prices would have still went up? Kinda like the old "If a tree fell in the woods....:loco: "

I agree, that there is a gas shortage right now, but to think that what is said on television or radio has no effect on gas or it's prices, is just plain silly.The same thing can be said on just about everything. Media is a very powerful and persuasive tool. If people are told there is going to be a shortage...Guess what happens? Everyone rushes out to fill their cars up, which causes the shortage.

FYI: to all the guys in Michigan. I just got a state employee email from the governor, saying that the gas is going down to $2.99. I guess she made some ageement with the local gas owners. So thats some pretty good news.

One of the things that affects demand and supply is expectations about the future. People listen to Alan Greenspan because the Federal Reserve employs the most economists of anybody in the world, among other things. People listen to the media because they're idiots.

Hey, all of you that complain about gas prices, come out and watch the pump when I fill up my truck.
I'll take my 30+ mpg Saturn right now though. Prices are getting close to $3 here. $2.80ish in Seattle area, $2.60ish in parts of Portland.