OT - Exclusive interview with Anthrax forum member Deege

Social Distortion

The Voice of Reason
Sep 10, 2004
Lahti Rock City, Finland
1. How did you originally find this message board and what are your earliest memories of posting here?

I don't remember exactly, but I've been posting here since a year or two before WCFYA was released.

2. When was the board at it's best? It's worst?

Seemed like everyone got along great and were just here as FANS (and there was a lot less off-topic stuff) before the reunion tour.

3. I've seen you posting also at the Megadeth-forum, what do you think about their new found Nazi-like control over there, when you can't say anything bad about the band at all, even if it's reasonable criticism?

I've never really said a lot that got deleted...but I really dislike the fact that the Total Anarchy and Dave Speaks sections are gone. It's really fucking lame...that was THE greatest metal forum on the internet until they decided to take away the TA section.

4. You recently gave Anthrax a very positive live review, how do you feel about the band now that John Bush propably won't be back anytime soon?

I still miss John Bush, and I'm not a big Joey fan. Nothing against him personally, it's just personal taste. He was a lot better live than I had expected him to be for sure, I honestly think that he sucked ass on Alive 2, but he sounded tons better in Columbus last night (10-10-2010)...I'll give the album a chance for sure, but I already know I'm never going to be a hardcore fan like I was before. Saw them live 7 times during the WCFYA era, and I'll probably never go out of my way to see them live (on their own) without John at the mic (I'll go see them if some other bands I want to see are there as well).

5. Can you tell us something about your personal life?

I am an aspiring recording engineer...I record for a bunch of local bands - my website for that is at http://www.fuzzrecordingstudio.com

6. You have stated many times that Black Label Society hasn't been that good on their last few records, which I agree with, do you still go see the band live when you have the chance? What do you think about their live show these days?

Yeah...I haven't seen them live since early 2009...but I was there to see Sevendust. I know those guys so I'm always on the guestlist. Their sound mix usually sucks live, and I can't fucking stand to hear Zakk sing all nasally and rough. He had such a great natural singing voice but instead of using it, he howls like a fucking cat in a blender. It sounds awful.

7. What are your top 5 greatest non-metal albums of all time?

Hmm...that would be tough if you asked me about metal albums, because that's the primary genre I listen to...but as far as non-metal...I'd have to say (in no particular order)...

Zakk Wylde - Book Of Shadows
ZZ Top - Tres Hombres (or maybe Tejas!)
Chris Cornell - Euphoria Morning
Neil Young - Harvest
Ray Charles - Crying Time

8. What do you have in mind for the year 2011?

I don't plan that far ahead! LOL

9. If you were forced to be a famous person, living or dead, for a week, who would you choose?

That's a tough one. Bill Gates? You could do a lot with that much money. Or maybe the president, see if I can do some shit right for a change.

WORD ASSOCIATION:
Some of these names I don't really have any thoughts on - I know the usernames but no comments came to mind, so I left em blank:

Jockthrax

emtfhII

Buddy_Love_Bomb - Cool guy, sent me some bootlegs in the past.

Black Thirteen - lame name that Scott Ian started using around the reunion tour. I just didn't give a fuck at the time.

Gregadeth

Trashard

Brentney Spears - Seemed like a cool guy when he used to post here. Great artwork...but I wish he would have actually updated Anthrax.com to promote WCFYA in 2003.

scottishthrax

Mikey Bong

eighteeschick

BratPrincess

thraxx

DarrellDethSDMF
- interviewer extrodinaire lol

ironmaidenfan09 - Joey Belladonna.

JohnnieCzech - Cool guy, also a big John Bush fan. I talk to him on facebook occasionally.

Matt Bello

DumbAss

Antwax.

vomit

6er - complete and total dickhead. Was a huge John Bush fan, and then as soon as Joey's back, he insults John. He's probably one of those people who is a democrat when republicans are in power, and is a republican when democrats are in power. I actually thought that ironmaidenfan09 and 6er could be the same person, but ironmaidenfan09 has way more tact and is a lot more respectful.

Beer - not a big beer fan. I drink it occasionally, but when I am drinking, I prefer whiskey...Crown or Chevas Regal

Mosh pit - not a fan...I prefer to enjoy a concert without a sweaty dude bumping into me.

Nick Catanese - Great guitarist, good guy. Zakk should let him actually play on albums. He's been way too loyal to Zakk for years...was offered even better gigs and turned them down to stay on a sinking ship.

Donald Duck - quack

Adult diapers - Rod Stewart: "pooped em!"

5150 - Why is it - Van Halen without Sammy wrote hard rockin' party music. Sammy without Van Halen wrote rockin' party music about tequila and driving fast. Van Halen and Sammy together....SAPPY LOVE BALLADS! WTF!

Technical brutal black metal - I recognize that these bands have tons of talent, but I can't stand the vocals. I prefer a band to hire a singer that...you know...SINGS. I don't mind aggressive vocals, like Pantera, etc...but growling and screaming and grunting and squeeling for an entire album is stupid as fuck and grates on my nerves.

THIS OR THAT:

Milk or Water
: Water (unless the milk is chocolate LOL)

Hockey or Football: I'm not a sports fan. But I have to go with hockey for the fights! Plus, hockey players don't grab each other's asses.

Going to a bar or drinking at home: Drinking at home! Much cheaper and you don't gotta worry about transportation and deal with assholes.

Money or Happiness: BOTH!

Twitter or Facebook: Facebook. I signed up for twitter to follow people like Conan O'Brien and Scott Ian (followed Scott because I was excited that John might be coming back to the band...though these days all we get are posts about online poker)

Thank you for taking the time to do this interview! Any final words for your fellow Anthrax fans?

Be dangerous, unpredictable, and make a lot of noise!