OT: Beer --- Homebrewing

I like Belgian beer!?
...and French, and German, and Irish... Scottish... English...Croatian... Bosnian... Czech... Estonian... Polish...
Well, Lets just say anything but American.

so you don't like anything brewed in america?

I have brewed an amber ale on my own. It took forever to mature. I don't really have the space for it. I took my secondary over to my friends house and we brew over there now. Made a hef and a martzen for oktoberfest. WOOOP!

Try checking out that Extreme Brewing book by the Dogfish Head guy. It has some badass tips on using non traditional ingredients for home brewing. Awesome recipes too!

I like Belgian beer!?
...and French, and German, and Irish... Scottish... English...Croatian... Bosnian... Czech... Estonian... Polish...
Well, Lets just say anything but American.

There are some great beers in the States, you just need to get past the Anheuser-Busch shit. (Bud Light is beer the same way that hot dogs are steak)

Go for the micro-brews, or smaller companies. I'm lucky to be in Wisconsin, where we can get New Glarus & Leinenkugels. Seriously, New Glarus Spotted Cow is awesome.

USA mainstream domestic beer is garbage. But there are a TON of micro brews that are very good. I would say America has one of the best beer makers of any country outside of Belgium. The thing with USA beer makers is they make a very wide spectrum of beers. In belgium you are pretty much going to get a beer with similar characteristics. It's not very diverse. But since Belgian style beers are my favorite I love that.

But USA gets a bad reputation because they slam, budweiser, coors, miller down your throat and they are terrible beers. Go outside the box and you will find a lot of great breweries in the USA

USA mainstream domestic beer is garbage. But there are a TON of micro brews that are very good. I would say America has one of the best beer makers of any country outside of Belgium. The thing with USA beer makers is they make a very wide spectrum of beers. In belgium you are pretty much going to get a beer with similar characteristics. It's not very diverse. But since Belgian style beers are my favorite I love that.

But USA gets a bad reputation because they slam, budweiser, coors, miller down your throat and they are terrible beers. Go outside the box and you will find a lot of great breweries in the USA

Ditto.

By American beer, if you mean Budweiser, Miller, Coors, etc. I would have to agree. But if you take the whole of American beer and factor in the micro breweries, I would have to say that in about he last decade or so we have actually surpassed Europe when it comes to quality and selection of great beers.

Did someone say Croatian beer?

karlovacko.sized.jpg

Mmmm...

Too funny, that's one of mt favs. Can't always get it here though.

..and there goes that last ounce of credibility.

In all honesty even big brewers in America are making good and very good beers. I like different kinds of Sam Adams fr. Boston, Sierra Nevada (I think it's brewed in California), my local Brooklyn Brewery (Brooklyn only by name. I believe they are located in upstate NY), New Amsterdam, Pete's Wicked Ales....

In all honesty even big brewers in America are making good and very good beers. I like different kinds of Sam Adams fr. Boston, Sierra Nevada (I think it's brewed in California), my local Brooklyn Brewery (Brooklyn only by name. I believe they are located in upstate NY), New Amsterdam, Pete's Wicked Ales....

Great Lakes Brewing Company and Bell's make some great beers.

Sure, I don’t deny that there are some good brews in the US, but suggesting that the US is amongst the best outside of Belgium is just completely ridiculous! I mean really???

How much maple syrup do you have to use in a one gallon batch?

I don't have my recipes handy, but I do believe it was a pint for 5 gallons. Adjust accordingly. You can also use it to prime your bottles (instead of sugar). But don't use that grocery store sludge, i.e. Aunt Jemima or that slut Mrs. Butterworth. it won't work...too many chemical additives. Pure non-processed maple syrup is all you need....dark glory here you come!:kickass:

I'll hand it to you. Blatz, Schlitz, PBR, & MHL are actually pretty good for the money you'd spend. Although to be honest High Life is pretty much the only decent Miller product (not counting Leinies).

It's a shame, back in 1989 a case of longneck Blatz was reasonably priced at $4.75. It's over $15 now! The new "retro" formula Schlitz is good stuff. I actually made a haul of Black Label last year, that was $6.99 a case (it was dated) but so excellent. The bonus was, it was bought in Wisconsin (no refund) and returned in Michigan at Wal-Mart.....DO THE MATH...we are talking $4.60 a CASE!! You are a WINNER at that price.