OT: Chicago Powerfest Quick Review!!!!

Biomechanical was good.. Gotta love John K.. And Nocturnal Rites was the show stopper for me.. They absolutely buried everyone.. Sound issues.. IMO The Friday bands got the shaft... I dunno what happened, but friday's sound sucked really bad.. and Saturday everyone sounded great.. Right down to the opening act.. Nocturnal Rites for PPVIII Big Time..

Cheiron said:
Steel Attack - Omega Conspiracy is a solid album. Its a mix of power and thrash. Wish I could have seen them. Their music definitely has a lot of energy.

Was the lead singer able to hit his really high notes as cleanly as he does on the albums?
Wrong festival dude. They WILL be playing at the Minneapolis Mayhem 3 in August. That's just a few weeks before ProgPower. Try your question again then ;)

Rick Pierpont said:
Wrong festival dude. They WILL be playing at the Minneapolis Mayhem 3 in August. That's just a few weeks before ProgPower. Try your question again then ;)

Hehe. That's because I had a distracted moment while typing.

I 'meant' to say 'Agent Steel's Omega Conspiracy'.

Oops.

Met-Al said:
Twelfth Gate--Quite possibly the biggest musical disappointment I will have this year. I was expecting the kick-ass progressive metal band I've enjoyed in concert for three years. What I got was some mallcore bullshit. Forget how bad the new vocalist was. The songs were completely rearranged. I think I heard one guitar solo through the whole set. What's up with that? Boo-urns, Rob.

Normally, I don't give a flying fuck what people think about my band/music, but you really struck a chord because I really don't know what band you were watching. Mallcore?!?!? "Songs were completely rearranged"?!?!? Only one guitar solo?!?!?

What were you smoking?!?!?:Smokin: :confused: :err:

None of the music was rearranged...the only slight changes we made were to take out the long, somewhat boring, intros to two of our songs (Desire Brings & Innocent). Every single song had a guitar solo...actually, in 2 or 3, we even added guitar solo harmonies which they played together.

Sounds like your brain turned off as soon as Red opened his mouth to sing. Or maybe you shouldn't have been running around asking why we didn't run our change by "The King" first, & paid more attention to our set before making all those false accusations. :p

I guess I'm a bit disappointed at you too that you judge the content of a band's music solely by their singer. We went from "progressive" to "mallcore" just by changing our singer?!?!?!? What a crock!! Oh well, I guess this won't be the last time someone will make such unfounded criticisms.

Sorry to lose you as a fan...:wave:

Eh...maybe not...:p

GateXII said:
Or maybe you shouldn't have been running around asking why we didn't run our change by "The King" first, & paid more attention to our set before making all those false accusations. :p

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Don't sweat it too much, man. I know a number of people weren't into the new singers style, but I also know that plenty of people DID dig your set! Unfortunately there will always be at least one jackass that doesn't know how to tactfully say they didn't like a band's sound.

Met-Al said:
Mirror Black--Musically and vocally a very talented band. I never cared for the track I heard on the ProgPower sampler, but their set changed my view of them. Unfortunately, I couldn't get past all of the doom-and-gloom, "there is no god" lyrics. Damn, I'm picky.

So I wasn't going to post on this thread 'cause basically I wanted people to feel like I wasn't around or something, 'cause I love the honest (brutally or ortherwise) responses to our set, including the negative ones, but this one has me a little puzzled.

I'm glad you mostly seemed to enjoy us, but I really don't see where you're getting the doom-and-gloom and especially the "there is no god" from the lyrics. Some of them are a little dark, but it's METAL. But I really don't get the no god thing, we don't have a single religious song really. Philosophical maybe... I'd like to know if you can remember any specific examples of lyrics that turned you off, so I can maybe clarify.

Met-Al said:
Nocturnal Rites--... To top it off, the backing vocals were real! Most power metal bands use that pre-recorded bullshit on stage. Not these guys. Every harmony sounded awesome.

Just a reminder that the reason why NR was late getting started was due to tech issues with an iPod looking device that the drummer was using. I thought it was just for some kind of big intro, but it was obvious that there were "pre-recorded bullshit" keyboard parts being used throughout the show. And if you're going to have that...then what other "pre-recorded bullshit" is coming out (i.e. vocals)? If it's just keyboard parts, then why not have a real live body playing it? Or, just learn the KB parts on guitar, or play a different arrangement without those parts? Then...I wouldn't have to wonder "is it real, or is it mp3?"
Maybe overseas they use a KB player....anybody seen them live overseas?

No, their backup vocals were real. Because there were a few times that the singer was fucking with the rhythm guitarist and bass player while they were singing (he turned their mics up or down so they couldn't sing into it - and at other times, the singer and bass player stopped singing and only had the rhythm guitarist singing). It was hillarious to watch them doing that. But yeah, unless they were REALLY good at staging that kinda shit too, I'm 100% sold on the fact that their vocal harmonies were PHENOMINAL!!!

Matt Lee said:
So I wasn't going to post on this thread 'cause basically I wanted people to feel like I wasn't around or something, 'cause I love the honest (brutally or ortherwise) responses to our set, including the negative ones, but this one has me a little puzzled.

I'm glad you mostly seemed to enjoy us, but I really don't see where you're getting the doom-and-gloom and especially the "there is no god" from the lyrics. Some of them are a little dark, but it's METAL. But I really don't get the no god thing, we don't have a single religious song really. Philosophical maybe... I'd like to know if you can remember any specific examples of lyrics that turned you off, so I can maybe clarify.

I'm kinda puzzled too. Even though it was my first time seeing you guys, we (Greg & I) thought you did a damn fine job, even with the Spinal Tap moment! :)

J-Dubya

Regor said:
No, their backup vocals were real. Because there were a few times that the singer was fucking with the rhythm guitarist and bass player while they were singing (he turned their mics up or down so they couldn't sing into it - and at other times, the singer and bass player stopped singing and only had the rhythm guitarist singing). It was hillarious to watch them doing that. But yeah, unless they were REALLY good at staging that kinda shit too, I'm 100% sold on the fact that their vocal harmonies were PHENOMINAL!!!

I can also confirm, as they did a couple songs at soundcheck without their singer, and the backups were just the one guitarist and bassist, and they were very tight.

I think the little device they were using was for background tracks like instrumental or keyboard filler stuff, or for their entrance music, maybe. I've seen other bands use that stuff before. Also, coulda been a personal monitoring device, and he was hooking up the drum monitor feed from the soundboard into it for his earbuds.

Bryan316 said:
I think the little device they were using was for background tracks like instrumental or keyboard filler stuff, or for their entrance music, maybe. I've seen other bands use that stuff before. Also, coulda been a personal monitoring device, and he was hooking up the drum monitor feed from the soundboard into it for his earbuds.

He probably had a mp3 player with the clicks on one side of the stereo mix, and the keys on the other, and they just send the keys out to the FOH, and he gets the click in his earbuds. That's what we do - without the keys, James just plays to a click - and it works well. I believe Jag Panzer is doing this, as well, since Mark's the one that gave me the idea. ;)

Matt Lee said:
I can also confirm, as they did a couple songs at soundcheck without their singer, and the backups were just the one guitarist and bassist, and they were very tight.

Cool....thanks for confirming. That's the kind of info I want to hear. Sorry to bring up the possibility.

eaeolian said:
He probably had a mp3 player with the clicks on one side of the stereo mix, and the keys on the other, and they just send the keys out to the FOH, and he gets the click in his earbuds. That's what we do - without the keys, James just plays to a click - and it works well. I believe Jag Panzer is doing this, as well, since Mark's the one that gave me the idea. ;)

Thanks for the info...makes sense. Although as a keyboard player myself, it bums me out that bands don't employ more full-time KB players instead.

KingsGene said:
Thanks for the info...makes sense. Although as a keyboard player myself, it bums me out that bands don't employ more full-time KB players instead.

I can understand that, but does it really make sense to carry a keyboardist to do 1-2 intros, and a pad here or there? Of course, I'd be more inclined to learn the keyboard lines for the intros on guitar, but I'm a guitarist, so... ;)

eaeolian said:
I can understand that, but does it really make sense to carry a keyboardist to do 1-2 intros, and a pad here or there? Of course, I'd be more inclined to learn the keyboard lines for the intros on guitar, but I'm a guitarist, so... ;)

I dunno if it was keyboards or just 'sound effects' but I distinctly saw the drummer lean over and 'activate' that device for a couple of the intros... I can't think of which song it was that I saw it (cuz I only recognized 3 songs), but it was definately something for playing sound drops for song intros.