OT: dragonforce...

i wonder how they went about recording things so that they would sound right when sped up

or if they some how recorded the solo's to a click track, half speed, then double sped up? i dunno, any one got some clues on what exactley they did, sounds interesting! haha

Maybe they went old Skool and got Steve Stevens in to play it like everyone used to in the 80s

bandwidth_owned.gif

Speaknig of which, any news on a new album by them? I'd like to see how long they can milk the unoriginal ideas from the last two albums.
It was a sad day in power metal when Fred left the Heavenly guitarist spot and joined DF as the bass player. His riffs and leads were way beyond the recent DF shit, and a crap load more tastfull.

i wonder how they went about recording things so that they would sound right when sped up

or if they some how recorded the solo's to a click track, half speed, then double sped up? i dunno, any one got some clues on what exactley they did, sounds interesting! haha

You can always use a good pitchshifter to pitch it back to the desired key ...

Well, if the "problem" was that they couldn't physically play their parts as fast as they wanted, then I've always assumed that it was a process similar to what you just mentioned...playing it substantially slowed down, and then speeding up the tape speed (or whatever the digital equivalent is). However, this would affect the pitch, so if it was half speed, then would they have been playing all the parts an octave lower?
I doubt they played slowed down in the proper key though, because I have never heard any time compression done that to that extremity without it sounding quite terrible. Then again, there may be some $5000 piece of time compression gear that I'm not aware of...but I doubt it.

anyone with any info on how they did it? im just curious about the process. my uncle used to record some vocals by slowing the song down so that it was a 3rd (note/chord wise) lower than the original, then having the singer match the pitch.

then he'd put the song back to normal, it helped some singers hit higher notes they wouldnt be able to do at the regular pitch of the song.

but making solo's sound rediculously clean like this is something to be desired. not that i care or even want to try it, just curious on how it would be done. because i have no clue on the process specifically on a DAW (no tape).

Well, if the "problem" was that they couldn't physically play their parts as fast as they wanted, then I've always assumed that it was a process similar to what you just mentioned...playing it substantially slowed down, and then speeding up the tape speed (or whatever the digital equivalent is). However, this would affect the pitch, so if it was half speed, then would they have been playing all the parts an octave lower?
I doubt they played slowed down in the proper key though, because I have never heard any time compression done that to that extremity without it sounding quite terrible. Then again, there may be some $5000 piece of time compression gear that I'm not aware of...but I doubt it.

http://www.serato.com/products/pnt/

Digital Performer has built in time-stretching to change the speed of audio without altering pitch, or vice-versa. This feature has been around for years, it would be very easy to cheat the way that Dragonforce is often accused of. On the Pro Tools side, there's Serato Pitch n Time.

After watching these videos, I'd say it's likely that they've messed with their solos in the studio. Dragonforce's success is a mystery to me.

my question is, if they can play the solos at that speed, why do they have to speed videos up to keep in time with the song....
Watch hermans hair near fret board , see if you think its sped up.

Haha mind you, look at Jeff Loomis's solo on the Enemies of Reality video, it always makes me laugh because its so OTT! Dosent match at all, one of the funniest moments in solo video history haha :saint: :lol:

I love Jeff :):saint: