OT: If you want to see the best band in rock/metal go see DOWN

They played Jail on this last tour. They did it for the first song of the encore it was absoultely amazing and mesmerizing. There are just some songs that make you feel, get your emotions doing weird things, Jail is definetely one of them. I've never seen them do Jail before I was blown away

Here is a video of Jail on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IBCbNegM10

They did Jail when I saw them in Belfast and Dublin too. Give you a nice little break from all the rocking out. :D I love it, so relaxing!

Listened to both tracks posted here.

The first one reminds me of some of the ealrier Screaming trees vocal styles, but it is undoubtedly Phil.

As for the second video, I liked the feel of the track, but its soooooo fucking boring. Cant hear any words, the music is insanely repetative.

I can see where the Creed and Chris Cornel comments came from too, I would have to argue that the band are not that original, turn the distortion down on the guitar on the first track and you have the normal run of the mill metal band. They are not poor, but they are far from original.

One of the problems is that we are overdue a new style in rock/metal music. nu metal is often discounted it was fairly short lived, and grunge i hated big time.

The only band I have taken any kind of interest in lately is Black Stone Cherry, but they are just beefing up old school styles of metal. I tend to be more excited by what passes as punk nowadays, dont know why, but in some ways its better than the 1970's punk and in other ways its poorer. I still need to find a great album to restore my faith in Rock/Metal.

for one the slow song is not meant to be entertaining or rockin, its a mellow stoner type vibe song to chill out too.

As for down not being original i am still waiting for a list of bands that they have copied. Black Sabbath and Led Zeppelin sure but who hasn't. I guess if you just listen to one or two songs it is easy to come up with a snap judgment. But if you were to actually go get their 3 albums and listen to them all I really don't think you would have the same opinion about them and being unoriginal. Phil Anselmo and Creed comparisons are absurd. if ANYTHING the creed singer sounds like Phil not the other way around. Phil has been around much longer than Creed.

They are a mix of Corrosion of Conformity, Crowbar, Pantera, and EyeHateGod so yeah there are other influences in there. But especially in music that is out today in the metal scene with all the screamo emo crap Down III is a breath of fresh air

Here is another video to enjoy:

Last edited by a moderator:
downinnola.jpg

DOWN in NOLA @ the House of Blues 4 April, 2007.:kickass:

Bury me in Smoke...
icon_cool_devil.gif

Remember kiddies....if you don't like it, don't listen to it.
piglips.gif

Hmmm As for bands they sound like

Lets start with the obvious

COC
Pantera

Soundgarden
Creed

I can hear elements of Danzig, Golden Earring, Skynard All jumbled up.

You admited Sabbath and Zeppelin, how many bands copied them before Down came about, you can add ALL of them too in that case.

Then we can go on to say that most of the sound is fairly run of the mill rock/metal

Dont get me wrong they are pretty cool, but nothing as ground breaking at Pantera were.
I dont think ANY band can sound original these days.

Hmmm As for bands they sound like

Lets start with the obvious

COC
Pantera

Soundgarden
Creed

I can hear elements of Danzig, Golden Earring, Skynard All jumbled up.

You admited Sabbath and Zeppelin, how many bands copied them before Down came about, you can add ALL of them too in that case.

Then we can go on to say that most of the sound is fairly run of the mill rock/metal

Dont get me wrong they are pretty cool, but nothing as ground breaking at Pantera were.
I dont think ANY band can sound original these days.

Other than CREED yes they definetely have all of those influences in their music. Let's just stop right now with these rediculouse Creed comparisons. Down was out long before Creed was ever a band. So even if you for what ever reason hear a Creed sound somehwere in Down's music they copied it from Down.

None the less yes Down isn't 'ground breaking' but they have a sound that is unlike almost any band out there right now. Phil Anselmo is back on top of his game. You can't categorize Down's music. Of course they have lots of influences in their music but they definetely didn't copy any band they just have bits a pieces of a lot of older bands that influenced them to be musicians.

The bottom line is that Down rules. If you haven't heard all of their material I would suggest giving it a try and go see them live I am pretty confident you will throw the CREED comparisons out the window :lol:

What is so ridiculous about comparing his voice to Creeds singer? you don't think "What If" sounds ballsy? And I didn't say his band sounded like Creed, I said HE sounded like their singer, or Creedish. It's one persons opinion no need to keep beating a dead cow.

What is so ridiculous about comparing his voice to Creeds singer? you don't think "What If" sounds ballsy? And I didn't say his band sounded like Creed, I said HE sounded like their singer, or Creedish. It's one persons opinion no need to keep beating a dead cow.

All I am saying is that Phil was doing music long before Creed was even a band. So if anything the guy from CREED or CREED sounds like DOWN not the other way around. So if anyone was 'copying' anyones style it was CREED copying Phil Anselmo / Pantera / Down

I knew what you were saying from the start but Creed was the first band that crept into my head, give these a listen and tell me there's no comparisons at all. :) This might get you more riled up but I also thought he sounded like a growly Eddie Vedder (ducking) toward the beginning of Lifer.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4X0BnvoExY&feature=related[/ame]

I knew what you were saying from the start but Creed was the first band that crept into my head, give these a listen and tell me there's no comparisons at all. :) This might get you more riled up but I also thought he sounded like a growly Eddie Vedder (ducking) toward the beginning of Lifer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Utc20BOS0-k

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4X0BnvoExY&feature=related

I can't argue that you think Creed for what ever reason sounds like Down. That is what your ears hear I can't tell you other wise. I don't hear it, I really don't hear or see many similarities between Scott Stapp/ Creed and Down/ Phil Anselmo. Creed was gayer than little richard, Down is the real deal and will never do songs like "With Arms Wide OPpppaahhhhN" and all that cheesy bullshit. And the original point is that even if Creed does sound like Down, Down was a band way before them so who cares CREED copied Downs sound then

As for Eddie Vedder, Im sure Phil Anselmo would take that as a compliment, Eddie Vedder is a great vocalist. Though Pantera was around long before Pearl Jam was out and discovered, so again I guess Vedder sounds like Phil Anselmo not the other way around. But Phil is a huge fan of Alice in Chains, Soundgarden etc. He sang "Would" with Alice in Chains on VH1 (though it wasn't all that great, it was before he got cleaned up and his voice was back)

I can't argue that you think Creed for what ever reason sounds like Down. That is what your ears hear I can't tell you other wise. I don't hear it, I really don't hear or see many similarities between Scott Stapp/ Creed and Down/ Phil Anselmo. Creed was gayer than little richard, Down is the real deal and will never do songs like "With Arms Wide OPpppaahhhhN" and all that cheesy bullshit. And the original point is that even if Creed does sound like Down, Down was a band way before them so who cares CREED copied Downs sound then

As for Eddie Vedder, Im sure Phil Anselmo would take that as a compliment, Eddie Vedder is a great vocalist. Though Pantera was around long before Pearl Jam was out and discovered, so again I guess Vedder sounds like Phil Anselmo not the other way around. But Phil is a huge fan of Alice in Chains, Soundgarden etc. He sang "Would" with Alice in Chains on VH1 (though it wasn't all that great, it was before he got cleaned up and his voice was back)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mg4q9hQj3Tg

I think we need to drop all this copied who bullshit.

Phil was not panteras first and original singer.
Eddie Vedder was in a recording band from 1988.

Its all swings and roundabouts.

I got hold of some down albums from friends (who i did not know owned them) Whilst I can listen to it, and probably enjoy it, its nothing groundbreaking. That jail song, reminds me of down in a hole by alice in chains. chilled out and relaxing but it sticks out like a sore thumb.

I'm bowing out here, I've discovered a new band that i can listen to, lets see if I can "get into them".

I think we need to drop all this copied who bullshit.

Phil was not panteras first and original singer.
Eddie Vedder was in a recording band from 1988.

Its all swings and roundabouts.

I got hold of some down albums from friends (who i did not know owned them) Whilst I can listen to it, and probably enjoy it, its nothing groundbreaking. That jail song, reminds me of down in a hole by alice in chains. chilled out and relaxing but it sticks out like a sore thumb.

I'm bowing out here, I've discovered a new band that i can listen to, lets see if I can "get into them".

Fair enough. I guess our ears just hear different things is all. Jail to me sounds a lot more like a Planet Caravan from Black Sabbath than anything, don't hear much "Down in a Hole" at all. But thats cool that you do, AIC is a great band.