OT: Racism & attitudes to Arabs where you live?

TRrEiTxIxRiE DTrash

New Metal Member
Apr 14, 2001
This is way off topic, but being from Australia I'm just curious as to what it's like in the US compared to here with how relations with the middle easterners are in YOUR own local area, particularly since 9-11 and all that.

I dunno how widely this has been covered overseas, but this topic has really come up to the surface in Australia since the weekend when some massive & violent race-riots started in the southern suburbs of Sydney. I have a feeling overseas these would be automatically linked alot more to being a reaction to the terrorist threat, and possibly also that it was a bunch of racist Australian hooligans bashing up arabs? I mean half the newspapers here have focused on that angle....

In Australia there's always been tensions but not to do with terrorism and politics. I live in Melbourne and even here there is tension, because the middle eastern community (particularly the Lebanese community) really segregate themself from everyone else, all seem to stay in the same few suburbs, and often have a very anti-social attitude and there is very much a gang element in those suburbs, I guess similar to how there is in some black suburbs of American cities. Sydney is apparently even far far worse than Melbourne with a much bigger population in those suburbs and ALOT of gang violence resulting from it. I don't think 9-11 and the anti-terror stuff of the last few years has really affected it all that much but probably has separated the 2 communities even more...

Anyway, what happened this weekend was something that had been brewing for years. The way Sydney is set out, is that it's on the east coast of Australia, so the eastern suburbs are all on the beach and very typical white Australian middle class suburbs, and the western suburbs are very poor, industrial, multicultural suburbs and certain of these are really dangerous gang areas where even locals are scared to walk the streets because of middle eastern & Lebanese gangs driving around causing trouble. These gangs had often been going to the eastern suburbs to use the beaches and were generally causing trouble, abusing people & picking fights. Last weekend they gang-bashed 3 lifeguards on Cronulla Beach (and one said something about taking over the beach) and that must have been the last straw because this Sunday, 5000 Cronulla locals gathered at the beach to "reclaim it" waving Australian flags, crankin AC/DC from utes, getting drunk, sizzling sausages and yelling Aussie chants which soon became racist chants (like "Fuck off Lebs, Fuck off Lebs" and "Save Cronulla, Fuck Allah"), then it got out of hand and they started hunting down, chasing and belting up middle eastern & Lebanese people who came anywhere near the beach. Stupid, stupid reaction, and the locals there just lowered themselves to the same level of the gangs, and now things are much worse.

Then on Sunday night, when word got out in the Western suburbs about the racist riot on the beach, a convoy of about 60 carloads full of middle eastern thugs with baseball bats, crowbars & guns headed to the beach suburbs, smashed up all the cars in sight, fired gunshots, smashed store windows, randomly belted people up (including people just putting their garbage out to be collected and stuff), stabbed a few people, assaulted women.... Then on Monday night, another convoy of cars from the west arrived at the beaches again and the exact same thing happened!!

Seems like the suburbs of Sydney have become a warzone now. It must be horrible having to be scared to walk to the train station in your own suburb, in case 5 carloads of thugs with baseball bats pull up to belt the shit out of you just for being a white Australian in the eastern suburbs, because of a stupid racist riot on a beach by a bunch of drunken yobbos. All these innocent people being attacked the last 2 nights had nothing to do with that riot. I'm glad I live in Melbourne, but as I said we also have similar suburbs and gangs and communities here in some areas, so I hope it doesn't spread to here as well.

So with all this stuff fresh in my mind and being talked about here at the moment, got me thinking whether stuff like this is happening in the US? Obviously your country has 10 times the population and ALOT more cities than Australia does (and only really Sydney & Melbourne are extremely multicultural and have a big middle eastern population). Is there tension & suspicion towards people of that background over there since 9-11 now? Any kind of violence & anger resulting from it? Was there hatred & tension before the terrorist threats happened as well like there was here? I'm not talking on a national level, because obviously I know the country as a whole is suspicious of muslims (moreso than Australia) and America easily seems to have the most hardcore anti-terrorist propaganda being spread making everyone paranoid too, but on a more local & personal level, is there tension & violence between Americans & middle eastern immigrants in your city or area?

Just for the record, I personally think what happened in Sydney has very very little to do with anything terrorist or 9-11 related, the anti-"Lebs" riot at the beach was a retaliation against the gang violence & abuse by "westie" gangs over the years and they'd had enough of being bullied and feeling threated in their own suburb.

We have had troubles like that in Amsterdam with Moroccan kids. When they see an unveiled Dutch woman they shout "whore" at her and bother her ie. threatening her and touching her.

They also have been chasing aways Dutch families from the neighborhood when they protested at this behavior.

Its has become a bit of a touchy subject here in the Netherlands but I have taught a lot of kids with an attitude like that. They tell me "If she is unveiled she is a whore and asking for trouble". They also tell me; "We will take over the Netherlands and make it Islamic".

Of course there's a lot of bragging going around, but during 9/11 there were a lot of students that supported Osama Bin Laden and Sadam Hussein. Until I showed them a movie that explained what Saddam was doing to its own Arabic/Islamic people. Then they took position against him.

A few years ago when we were remembering the end of World War II, Moroccan kids were kicking the remembrance wreath's around the square in Amsterdam and beating up Jewish people.

So yea, there has been a lot of animosity going around here. But we are lucky that nothing like what you describe has been going on here [yet].

HO-LEE SHIT, Trix. Ain't nothing like that going on over here that I'm aware of. I camp on the news channels during my downtime in the afternoon and our most recent riots are either black vs. white or Arian Brotherhood (KKK) vs. anyone with a rational mind. I'm sure there are small occurances of racism against Arabs, but none of them are major enough to make the big news affiliates. Certainly nothing on the scales of what is happening in Sydney.

Locally, around the Phoenix area, gang activity is still represented by your tried and true minorities: black, mexican, vietnamese, etc., same as it's always been. To be honest though, I don't see a whole lot of Arabs around here, and 90% of those I do see are behind the counter at a 7-11 or Circle K convenience store. Hard to blame terrorism on an exhausted looking working-class Joe (or Ahmed as the case may be) who sells beer and cigarettes just to make a living.

Also, I think Phoenix is a much more tolerating city than most in America. Phoenix is a metling pot by nature and there has always been a wide variety of different cultures mixing together. I read somewhere that only around 15% of the Phoenix population are actually Arizona natives. I think we have less of that ugly stuff going on because none of us really feel like we're "at home" since we all come from somewhere else.

Keep yourself safe, Trix. It sounds like your situation isn't going to go away anytime soon.

Trans-Siberian Outcast said:
HO-LEE SHIT, Trix. Ain't nothing like that going on over here that I'm aware of. I camp on the news channels during my downtime in the afternoon and our most recent riots are either black vs. white or Arian Brotherhood (KKK) vs. anyone with a rational mind. I'm sure there are small occurances of racism against Arabs, but none of them are major enough to make the big news affiliates. Certainly nothing on the scales of what is happening in Sydney.

Locally, around the Phoenix area, gang activity is still represented by your tried and true minorities: black, mexican, vietnamese, etc., same as it's always been. To be honest though, I don't see a whole lot of Arabs around here, and 90% of those I do see are behind the counter at a 7-11 or Circle K convenience store. Hard to blame terrorism on an exhausted looking working-class Joe (or Ahmed as the case may be) who sells beer and cigarettes just to make a living.

Also, I think Phoenix is a much more tolerating city than most in America. Phoenix is a metling pot by nature and there has always been a wide variety of different cultures mixing together. I read somewhere that only around 15% of the Phoenix population are actually Arizona natives. I think we have less of that ugly stuff going on because none of us really feel like we're "at home" since we all come from somewhere else.

Keep yourself safe, Trix. It sounds like your situation isn't going to go away anytime soon.

Buddy

Please keep in mind that there is also a lot, and I mean really a lot, hostility, aggression and hate coming from the Arab community. Its not just the right wing extremist. In fact some right wing extremist are working with islamist because they both hate the Jews.

Hawk said:
Buddy

Please keep in mind that there is also a lot, and I mean really a lot, hostility, aggression and hate coming from the Arab community. Its not just the right wing extremist. In fact some right wing extremist are working with islamist because they both hate the Jews.
Oh, definitely. It's like the blacks over here. They're always sparking confrontations because of the whole slavery issue that was abolished...oh, 145 years ago! It takes two to tango, as they say. But like I said, it seems like most of the Phoenix Arab population are just working class Ahmeds. If there was enough of them, and they ever got organized, I am sure they'd cause a few sparks themselves. They spread more hatred than most, IMO. But not around here.

Trans-Siberian Outcast said:
Oh, definitely. It's like the blacks over here. They're always sparking confrontations because of the whole slavery issue that was abolished...oh, 145 years ago! It takes two to tango, as they say. But like I said, it seems like most of the Phoenix Arab population are just working class Ahmeds. If there was enough of them, and they ever got organized, I am sure they'd cause a few sparks themselves. They spread more hatred than most, IMO. But not around here.

Its weird; a good friend of us is a Moroccan. He married my wife's best friend. he is constantly amazed at what happens in the Netherlands and asks himself and us why we are so lenient.

Well, ya know there's good in every race, Hawk! That's what I hate about such extreme bigotry. To assume that EVERYONE of a certain race or religion is bad is exactly what's wrong with the world. Me, I fully admit my prejudices. But I'm not a far cry from a bigot.

We don't have Arabs here, the most animosity goes towards our northern neighbors (Nicaraguans).

If you look at Middle-East of course everybody has a part to be blame in the whole mess, but when you see the attitude of non-European Muslims towards they adoptive countries in Holland, Germany, etc., or the attitude of leaders in Iran, Syria, Lebanon, or the behavior of guerilla/terrorists, etc. and then you compare to Christians, Jews, Buddisths, Hindus in the Western hemisphere you really wonder who's asking for a holy war to run over.

Of course I cannot speak objectively on the case because I'm Jewish. At the same time I live in a predominant (and state endorsed) Catholic country, still as much as you see the "ideological pressure" all around (especially during this type of Holidys) I have never been harrassed or discriminated, nor I despise my fellow citizens just because they are of a different religion.

I have known along y life Jews, Catholics, Protestants, Muslims, Mormons and Hindus. I have been in churches, temples, sinanogues, and I hope one day to enter a mosque. Culturally speaking all religions have something interesting to offer and teach. Sadly when some people take religion as their own tool for personal purposes is when hatred and war comes

Royal Hunt - 'Surrender'

no trouble in L.A. we are a melting pot of a community. There is a large Persian community, a large Jewish community and I'm sure a large Islamic community around L.A. No fighting, no rioting.....The Islamic community here has been very vocal regarding the extremists and the fact that these people are not what the true Islamic (Muslim) belief/culture is.

My personal belief is there are evil people everywhere and it has nothing to do with where your from, the color of your skin or what religion you are...they just hate too much and are ignorant in the fact that their beliefs are the only ones.

My grandparents came from Lebanon and Syria and fled those countries in the early 1920's because they were Catholics. I married a man whose grandparents were Russian Jews.

We will all parish and suffer until we figure out we're all on this planet together...we all bleed red...no religion or belief is any better than the other, just differant.

Nothing even remotely close to that happens in Boston..They pretty much walk on egg shells knowing that if any of that shit got started they'd get their towel heads stomped bloody!!

I read how Arizona is real tolerant of them, and that's cool!! But two of those planes that went up on 9-11 came from Boston and I honestly don't think we'll ever be able to let it go. (I know I won't!!) And that's the reason why whether their driving their cabs, working at the Quickimart or whatever the hell there doing they do it quiet and un assuming...I swear if I'm ever in a situtation where some towel monkey clown starts telling me that Bin Laden's the man and we deserved it, etc... I don't give a damn where we are, at his house, in a police station, hell in a courthouse....Lets just say the end result won't be too positive for him!

I feel for you in Australia...And hope that situtation gets resolved for your country...If not try to get some of them crazy soccer hooligans to join forces with you guys and take care of business!!

kittybeast said:
Please keep your racist comments to yourself. Hate breeds more hate.
Sorry kiddo, but that's how I feel and i'm not about to censor myself..:D

And F.Y.I. L.A. has had it's quota of riots, Michael Jackson, O.J. Simpsons more than just about any other city!! So melting pot fine...But when Robert Blake wanted to kill his wife...Where did he do it?!!?

T_man357 said:
Sorry kiddo, but that's how I feel and i'm not about to censor myself..:D

And F.Y.I. L.A. has had it's quota of riots, Michael Jackson, O.J. Simpsons more than just about any other state!! So melting pot fine...But when Robert Blake wanted to kill his wife...Where did he do it?!!?

first, I'm not a child, second I'm well aware of the past riots in Los Angeles. Third...your remarks are what sparks hate, violence and bloodshed.

It's comments like that that make people think you may be an ignorant racist fool and you might be....might not..maybe you just need to expand your vocabulary.

kittybeast said:
first, I'm not a child, second I'm well aware of the past riots in Los Angeles. Third...your remarks are what sparks hate, violence and bloodshed.

It's comments like that that make people think you may be an ignorant racist fool and you might be....might not..maybe you just need to expand your vocabulary.
O.K. Let me just say right now that I'm not going to allow you to pull me into an argument over this...It's not that important to me. I posted a response and you got all bummed out...Tough shit!! Last time I checked We lived in a country of free speech (Unless you're saying "Merry Christmas" GOD Bless you" Or "Under GOD" Which I didn't...And I'm guessing that's a good thing from your point of view)

Moving right along....Kiddo's just an expression and if it offended you I apologize. And let me just add that no words that have ever came out of my mouth have done ANY violence or led to any bloodshed so I don't really see where the hell you were going with that comment....Tookie now there's a guy full of violence and bloodshed and I GUARANTEE you that his words never killed a person.....Bye,Bye Tookie!!Last I checked no one views me as a "Ignorant Racist Fool" (Except you...And I can live with that....You don't know me!!) I'm no liberal!! I sense you're probably a diehard liberal with love for everything & everybody...You know, "there's really no bad people so smile and have a flower" That's all fine and good...But that's not everybody..I learned a long time ago that I may not like what somebody has to say (Liberals in particular) But I never want your right to say it taken from you.
You might want to try a little of that in your future dealings with posts you dislike.

T_man357]Last time I checked We lived in a country of free speech (Unless you're saying "Merry Christmas" GOD Bless you" Or "Under GOD" Which I didn't...And I'm guessing that's a good thing from your point of view)

Not true.

[Moving right along....Kiddo's just an expression and if it offended you I apologize./QUOTE]

not offended..just advising

And let me just add that no words that have ever came out of my mouth have done ANY violence or led to any bloodshed so I don't really see where the hell you were going with that comment
that's good to hear. To me it just doesn't seem neccesary to describe someone as "a towel head"

....[QUOTELast I checked no one views me as a "Ignorant Racist Fool" (Except you...And I can live with that....You don't know me!!) ]

I said you might be, might not.

I'm no liberal!! I sense you're probably a diehard liberal with love for everything & everybody...
not even close to being a liberal...and the only thing I'm die hard for is my metal!I was trying my best to keep my comments friendly. I myself try to describe people for WHO they are and not WHAT they wear. (edited)

kittybeast said:
Not true.

[Moving right along....Kiddo's just an expression and if it offended you I apologize./QUOTE]

not offended..just advising

that's good to hear. To me it just doesn't seem neccesary to describe someone as "a towel head"

I said you might be, might not.

not even close to being a liberal...and the only thing I'm die hard for is my metal!

I was trying my best to keep my comments friendly. I myself try to describe people for WHO they are and not WHAT they are.
Understood....I like how you made your point...I was speaking out of anger..I don't go around using racial slurs to describe people...Like I said 9-11 as a whole makes me angry and I used them for emphasis...but regardless I know it's not right and hope not to have offended you.... No disrespect meant..

T_man357 said:
kittybeast said:
Not true.

Understood....I like how you made your point...I was speaking out of anger..I don't go around using racial slurs to describe people...Like I said 9-11 as a whole makes me angry and I used them for emphasis...but regardless I know it's not right and hope not to have offended you.... No disrespect meant..

It's all good, bro.:p 9-11 changed all of us, terrorism changes all of us, hate changes all of us, violence, greed, oppression, hunger, fear....

It would be a wonderful f'kin day in the world when we can figure out how to help and support each other as HUMAN BEINGS than to fight, kill and destroy humanity for religion, color, territory, mineral deposits. I suppose that's the curse of human nature.

I can bitch all day about politics and greed...but then I'd probably ruin my day.

Now I'm going to go see Santa Claus and get my list in!!!

kittybeast said:
T_man357 said:
It's all good, bro.:p 9-11 changed all of us, terrorism changes all of us, hate changes all of us, violence, greed, oppression, hunger, fear....

It would be a wonderful f'kin day in the world when we can figure out how to help and support each other as HUMAN BEINGS than to fight, kill and destroy humanity for religion, color, territory, mineral deposits. I suppose that's the curse of human nature.

I can bitch all day about politics and greed...but then I'd probably ruin my day.

Now I'm going to go see Santa Claus and get my list in!!!

I'm glad we're good kid...Yeah I would like to live in that type of Utopia as well...But we're trapped in reality where all things do is get worse everyday..
tell Santa the T-man would like a M16 And a Shure SM58 for Christmas

I get hassled at the airports all the time, I'm not arab, but olive complected and get this my last name is M_O_S_Q_U_E....and two more letters...
You get the idea. I have to tell you the story of the last time in D.C. I fucked with security and nearly didn't make my flight back!
I have no problems with Arabs myself, though I just don't understand all the fighting.... Here in Oregon, they ahve their places of worship and are left alone....

sixxswine said:
I get hassled at the airports all the time, I'm not arab, but olive complected and get this my last name is M_O_S_Q_U_E....and two more letters...

Shit! I never thought about it Sixxi, since your family name is from latin origin it doesn't hit any buttons for me (well actually it does but that's a joke I'll tell you someday :p ), then in English...Mosque, shoot me :confused: . Talk about uncorfortable coincidences, in any non-English country it'll be nothing. Life's strange.

I agree about profiling. Many of my Indian friends were "oggled" at airports after Sept.11/01, and some Latin friends too. Me being excendingly white (like in pale death body) never had the trouble, also being from a Latin America I have grew accustomed to military presence and tight security, so it never bothered me in the beginning.

NP: Stream Of Passion - 'Haunted'