OT: Role Playing Games

Silent Song said:
you cannot kill him. you instead need to use Sunder and Keening to hack at the Heart of Lothian that sustains him. then he'll die on his own. then you get the hell out via the top.

and where would these weapons be?

oh boy. for starters, you gotta do just about ALL the main quest to get them. if you try to obtain them by other means, you basically get killed by touching them. there is a way to get around that, but it's even harder than doing it right. if you wanna mess around with it anyway, they're in towers on the volcano.

Silent Song said:
oh boy. for starters, you gotta do just about ALL the main quest to get them. if you try to obtain them by other means, you basically get killed by touching them. there is a way to get around that, but it's even harder than doing it right. if you wanna mess around with it anyway, they're in towers on the volcano.

ok, heres where I am in the main quest: I have released mhera milo from jail, and have visited the secret monostary, what next? cause nothing else is appearing in my quest log.

i don't exactly remember how it goes but i do remember: you gotta at some point: unite the 3 houses (by leading them basically) storm a nasty dungeon in the north and get some rather nice gloves and shield and other trinkets, make a journey east of that place and north of the volcano to a cave that opens only a certain time of day (this cutscene will only occur if you've done the previous stuff required for it). you gotta meet with the native clan in the top left for many, many annoying times. meet and help out the other ones, visit a mental hospital on the east side and solve a puzzle, assassinate a major leader in the arena in vivec, talk to vivec a few times, get a rather wonderful gauntlet that lets you not die when using the two weapons mentioned above, and clear out all the towers in the volcano region.

this is of course, vague and out of order partly because i can't remember and partly because i don't want to ruin it for ya. :D

edit: just came to me. if you just busted her out of jail and she warped with the scroll you gave her, then you need to meet her at the monastary at the south east side of the continent. like that other cave, it only opens at a certain time of day. i'll save ya time and say: just before sunset. you gotta talk to just about everybody in there. especially that guy next to her and the people below

"Play some real rpg's like Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale and Planescape: Torment"

Those are RPG's, so are the Final Fantasy series.
The difference is the core, Baldurs Gate uses D&D/AD&D based rules, Final Fantasy uses something else. Point being, both are true RPG's, although I can tell you prefer D&D based games (I like them all, every RPG has it's good stuff =).

My favorite RPG, that's really hard, I've played so damn many. The sub genres for RPG's is getting to be like the sub genre's for Music.
I do prefer the Final Fantasy series though, I grew up playing them, so I guess Final Fantasy *insert number here* is my favorite.

Every computer gamer will definitely mention the RPGs made by those guys at Square Enix (as they're called now IIRC), and I guess I'm no exception.

I loved the earlier Final Fantasies, although I'm not too big on FFVIII and FFX. Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross are definite faves. Xenogears and the Xenosaga series are tops as well. But I favor the seemingly "sleeper hits" more, like Vagrant Story (which STILL has not seen any semblance of a sequel) and Final Fantasy Tactics (which had a sequel of sorts in the GBA that sucked rocks--I fcsking hate the Law system!).

On to RPGs on the PC, I like Neverwinter Nights, Morrowind and Icewind Dale.

Tabletop RPGs, you ask? I played Vampire and Wraith before. Now I play only Vampire. :D

As for online RPGs, I had experience in that game from Korea, Ragnarok Online. I'll probly start playing World of Warcraft soon, once I finish with Tantra Online, which goes really heavy on references to Hindu mythology.

Satanicat said:
"Those are RPG's, so are the Final Fantasy series.

Eh, not really though.

Final Fantasy is to RPG's what Linkin Park is to metal. You can kinda see a faint similarity, but not really. The plot lines are linear and there's absolutely no choice over character development, both crucial aspects of an actual RPG. While games like Baldur's Gate don't come close to the flexibility of the original pen and paper games, they do an admirable job of offering those elements.

I suppose you could call Final Fantasy games "pop RPGs". Not that I'm condemning them in any way... up until FF 8 they were great.

arglebargle said:
Eh, not really though.

Final Fantasy is to RPG's what Linkin Park is to metal. You can kinda see a faint similarity, but not really. The plot lines are linear and there's absolutely no choice over character development, both crucial aspects of an actual RPG. While games like Baldur's Gate don't come close to the flexibility of the original pen and paper games, they do an admirable job of offering those elements.

I suppose you could call Final Fantasy games "pop RPGs". Not that I'm condemning them in any way... up until FF 8 they were great.

Good point. If you want a more traditional RPG style computer game then I think it would lie in the world of MMORPG's. I play (rarely now :erk: ) Star Wars Galaxies. There is a lot of flexibility in that game and you have much more control over the "life" of your character. However, essentially this game is computer based, which means it has its limits but it is the best you can get to playing D&D's without pulling out the set (so I have heard)

arglebargle said:
Eh, not really though.

that's not true. like in FFX there isn't too many plotlines you can choose, but carachter development you can. you decide what spells and abbilities to get, when and where to train them, what items to get, what to have as their strengths. and the old FF games there is definatly alot you can do, some you can even change the form of your character.

ah yes, i fuckin love RPG's. i too have played through all final fantasy...but FFX for PS2 was still my favorite. zelda kicks ass too. i haven't played tales of symphonia though. oh and while World Of Warcraft for computer may not be stricly RPG, it's an awesome and huge fantasy game and it's brilliant. so you should definatly look into it.

No offense or anything, but if you think having a choice of spells is character development, you obviously haven't played many RPGs. Class options, dialogue options, moral options, plotline options, consequences for actions... now THOSE are examples of character development in a CRPG. Even the "classes" in some of the FF games are extremely inflexible, and you don't have any control over who is what class.

While we are talking about video games you guys can look at these pics from the next generation console systems.

2-days-to-vegas-20050428111821651.jpg

2-days-to-vegas-20050428111816792.jpg

arglebargle said:
and you don't have any control over who is what class.
and that develops uniqueness among characters. that is character identity/development. if everybody could be every job, then there are no classes. :p

some degree of inflexibility is necessary to move plot forward.

Those kind of promo pics always look a lot better than the actual games, but still, man that's realistic. What are the next-gen consoles, anyway? (I don't keep up on console games anymore)

I can't wait to see Gran Turismo 5. It is planned to be a launch title for PS3.

Can you guys imagine games 10 years from now? 20!!?!??!?!

And do you realize that one day there will be a game that will be a perfect simulation of reality? In fact, have you ever thought that our reality may just be a perfect simulation of another reality and that there is some entity controlling every move we make?

And on that note I think i will go on a philosophical tangent...Nietzsche stated that if you froze time and recorded the position of every atom in the universe then using calculus, specifically derivates, it will be possible to determine the future and past Basically he states that everything in the universe is part of one large, unimaginably complex, math equation.

Spooky !

well, actually it's entropy, the measure of disorder in a system. Unlike heat energy, or enthalpy, the level of entropy in the universe is not fixed, it is constantly increasing. humans and all living creature have to expent great amounts of energy to maintain order, if they didn't they would die. We just learned about it in chemistry, and I guess choice is a part of entropy.

Soundgarden, are those images pre-rendered or in-game? If they're in-game thats damn impressive.

And yes, I can't wait to see what a Silent Hill would look like on a system that powerful (huge SH fan here).