OT: Role Playing Games

Imaginarium

Winds of Creation
Mar 16, 2005
England, UK
For years i've my life ive been completely addicted to the Final Fantasy series....i've finally decided to look elsewhere in the world of RPG's though. I bought a gamecube and played through Zelda - The Wind Waker...although it's not an RPG it does have some RPG elements and overall it's an awesome game. BUT NOW IVE STRUCK REAL RPG GOLD with "Tales of Symphonia". this game is damn tremendous...the battle system is immense, the plotline + characters are both emotional + hooking. Has anybody else played ToS? if you haven't and you have a weak spot for all things RPG + fantasy i strongly suggest you do :Spin: :p

my fav RPGs in favorite order:

1. Xenosaga 2 (sequel to #2 below)
2. Xenosaga 1 (quite possibly the most epic story i've encountered in a videogame. goes really in depth and battle system is cool)
3. Final Fantasy 10 (great battle system, great story.)
4. Final Fantasy 10-2 (better graphics/battle system than 10, not as good story. end boss was WAY too easy but certain optional bosses were hard as shit)
5. Final Fantasy 8 (great storytelling. the battle system let me use magic without worrying about running out. could use some improvements)
6. Final Fantasy 7 (the crowd favorite. i thought it was cool, but could use a lot of advice from the storywriters of 8&10 or even better; xenosaga. the minigames were awesome though.)
7. Illusion of Gaiea (SNES) (This game had a great vibe and good story)
8. Star Ocean (till the end of time) (story had potential but failed to deliver. probably the best thing about this game is the minigame section and that you can pump your characters up way beyond normal RPG stats)
honorable mentions to: Shadow Hearts 1, 2. (so dark and soooo well done) & Zelda: Link to the Past (SNES) (imo the best of the series)

the only RPG i played that i really detested was Kingdom Hearts. oh god. how annoying. and i'm not talking about that it's Disney, its just teh battle system and all the rest of the systems...

i was also on FFXI Online for a while. were it not for the greediness of certain asshole players, it would be a great game as well. the missions started out boring but got very interesting. i was samurai max level with pretty much max stuff.

My favorite RPGs are as follows

1.) Final Fantasy III - No, not VI from the SNES era, the REAL III...I have played through it on DreamCast and on PC via emulators. Final Fantasy III is the best Final Fantasy to make use of the "class/job" system. It doesn't go over-the-top like V and is just Absolute fun. First Final Fantasy to feature a summoner, first FF to feature classes changeable whenever. Also, the multiple-airship concept was awesome. Definitely made FULL USE of EVERYTHING that the NES had to offer. Was at least 2 or 3 times larger than Final Fantasy 1.
2.) Phantasy Star IV - Awesome game. The first RPG to feature battle animations for the enemies and one of the first (if not the first) to feature combo attacks between party members. Great story and definitely a worthwhile purchase for anyone that still has a working Sega Genesis.
3.) Chrono Trigger - Awesome plot and loved the combo attacks. One of the best 16-bit RPGs. The cast was also crazy-cool.
4.) Final Fantasy VII - Reintroduced me to RPG's after only playing Final Fantasy 1 and Phantasy Star IV for the whole 8- and 16-bit eras. First RPG to feature cutting-edge cinema sequences. Awesome cast of characters and the best villain ever.
5.) Final Fantasy - Deserves a mention for being the first RPG I ever played. For the limitations of the NES, it did everything that I could have wanted and then some. ABSOLUTE CLASSIC! Some of the best music in a video game even to this day, there are just some classic tunes in that game.
6.) Chrono Cross - I will run into a bunch of disagreement over this one, but I loved it. Great game and I loved the cast of characters. Cool plot, too.
7.) Final Fantasy X - Awesome game. Kick-ass graphics, one of the best plot-lines ever, and one of the coolest characters in Auron. Tidus kicked ass as well. Cool battle system.
8.) Xenosaga Episode 1 - Awesome graphics, cool plot, fun battle system. What more can you ask for? A little too slow-paced for me in parts, but still very fun.
9.) Star Ocean III: Till the End of Time - A little bit too buggy for me (for example not being able to hit enemies when they are knocked over). I just never got around to completing it. I liked it, though. If they clean up the battle system by the SLIGHTEST BIT for a fourth installment, it could be one of the best RPG's ever.
10.) Final Fantasy VI - I loved this game when I played it. I hope it eventually gets a 3D facelift. It deserves it. One of the best plotlines in an RPG to this day. Also, a classic FF battle system, a great selection of summons, a cool cast of heroes, and an insane mad-clown villain. Again, what more could you ask for? (3D graphics, that's about it...)

Honorable Mentions: Lunar: The Silver Star, Kingdom Hearts, Shining Force series, Vagrant Story, Legend of Dragoon, and Grandia II...they just weren't QUITE good enough to make my list....

So, there you have it. My list of the "Ten Best RPG's ever!"

The only RPG game I play is Star Wars Galaxies. I haven't been on a while though :cry:

I don't like the combat styles of FF games, but the music is amazing. And recently the graphics are beginning to draw more attention. Does anyone remember the scene with Yuna and Tidus in the lake in FFX? That was so beautifully drawn.

edit...here is a pic from the scene:

yt.jpg

Imaginarium said:
For years i've my life ive been completely addicted to the Final Fantasy series....i've finally decided to look elsewhere in the world of RPG's though. I bought a gamecube and played through Zelda - The Wind Waker...although it's not an RPG it does have some RPG elements and overall it's an awesome game. BUT NOW IVE STRUCK REAL RPG GOLD with "Tales of Symphonia". this game is damn tremendous...the battle system is immense, the plotline + characters are both emotional + hooking. Has anybody else played ToS? if you haven't and you have a weak spot for all things RPG + fantasy i strongly suggest you do :Spin: :p

well first I would start off with Knights of The Old Republic and get away from the Japanese style Rpgs and start getting used to the good ol American D&D style of Rpgs, games that follow the D&D system are KOTOR, neverwinter nights, morrowind ect.

(personaly I think the Jap style RPGs are only in it for the story but thats just my opinion)

Ayreon Guardian X said:
Chrono Cross - I will run into a bunch of disagreement over this one, but I loved it. Great game and I loved the cast of characters. Cool plot, too.

I loved it too, such a great story

Some personal favorites in no order: FFVIII, Chrono Cross, Chrono Trigger, Kingdom Hearts, FFX, Tales of Phantasia, and many more

Check out Knights of the Old Republic, like wayne mentioned, and if the freer system of a real RPG appeals to you, find a local D&D (or other) group and start really roleplaying. I'm a huge fan of video game RPGs--Japanese and otherwise--but nothing beats the real thing!

I prefer Mage over Vampire. World of Darkness is an awesome system of gaming! I'm so used to D&D though.

However, it depends on how you play. There are 2 styles - table top and LARP (Live Action Role Playing.) LARP is literally no different than the imaginary games you would play as a child on the playground... "Let's pretend we're Ninja Turtles and fight foot soldiers!" I prefer table-top...

So make fun of me. :p

I've played and beaten Final Fantasies 1, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, and 10. I beat 5, 8, and 9 twice and 7 three times. I gave away a lot of my teenage years to those games (too much maybe) but they also gave me some wonderful stories and equally wonderful music. I own 13 Final Fantasy soundtracks. If I could somehow calculate how much of my life I've given to Final Fantasy I probably wouldn't want to know :).

I've pretty much quit playing those really long winded video games though. I don't have the time for them. My PS2 is reserved for new installments of Silent Hill or to replay one of the existing games in that series now. Although maybe if FF12 gets absolutely rave reviews I'll play it. The fact that Nobuo Uematsu has officially dropped off the series as composer has made me lose interest even more, though.

As far as other RPGs, I did play Crono Trigger, Phantasy Star IV, and what I consider the single most addicting RPG Ive ever played (and single most time consuming on one play-through): Dark Cloud 2. My final play time in that game was somewhere around 85 hours :guh:

edit: I'm such a FF geek that I figured out how to play the prelude theme on guitar using two handed tapping. It sounds rad :)

i have both Morrowind and KOTOR. KOTOR really isn't my thing....i could never be bothered to get in to it properly...the battle system (if u can call it that) is terrible. Morrowind is huge and brilliant but the amount of bugs in it began to annoy me....i disagree about japanese games being only about storyline.....yes their storylines are absolutely fantastic but i also think the gameplay is second to none....i apologise if you are struggling to comprehend that somebody may think that another country's work is better than American work.

Imaginarium said:
i have both Morrowind and KOTOR. KOTOR really isn't my thing....i could never be bothered to get in to it properly...the battle system (if u can call it that) is terrible. Morrowind is huge and brilliant but the amount of bugs in it began to annoy me....i disagree about japanese games being only about storyline.....yes their storylines are absolutely fantastic but i also think the gameplay is second to none....i apologise if you are struggling to comprehend that somebody may think that another country's work is better than American work.

YOU LIKE PURE TURN BASED!!!!!!!!!!!! EWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!

nah just kidding we all have different taste, I used to be an FF geek too.....than I realized that turn based isnt everything, i mean come on its dumb imo the thing about the random battles I mean........ehhhhh its not my thing.