OT - Tommy Morrison...No HIV

MikeyBong

Sep 22, 2004
Anybody remember the boxer Tommy Morrison? He was diagnosed with HIV back in 1996. As it turns out, it was a false positive, which means he does not have HIV.
I feel bad for him. He was misdiagnosed over a decade ago and he lost a lucrative career. His life went out of control after that and he ended up in prison for a while.
So now he's staging a comeback. He's in his fourties now, which is young by most standards, but not for a boxer. I hope he's still got it. Judgeing by the photo I saw of him, he appears to be in great shape.

Ok, so he lost a multi-million dollar career because of a false positive.

My only thinking on this whole matter is this:
Did he only get tested once?
Would he really have been that dumb?

"You got to dog him Tommy Gunn!"

His failed career is mostly due to mistakes he made. Before he tested positive for HIV his career was going downhill.

He had no chin!!! He would start breathing heavy at the end of the 1st round of his fights!!!! Ray Mercer's K.O. of him is what next to Rocky 5 he'll always be remembered for... I wouldn't say he lost out on a lucrative career...I'd say he should thank God he was born white and didn't test positive for steroids in his career...Which was WAY overrated!!! I mean hell he ran from George Foreman for 12 rounds and got a "Gift" decision...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eo6O7JmsBNU

Maybe he could sue the doctor... I don't know?? But it seems like he might be able to since a bad test cost him 11 years of his ability to earn a living and do his job...

That was pretty brutal!o_O

I just think it's a shame that he walked away from a lot of money because of a doctor's mistake. Although I agree with another poster who asked why he didn't have himself re-tested sooner. Seems strange to me that he wouldn't get a second opinion on something this important.

Wow, I thought he died a while ago!

To be honest, I had pretty much forotten about him until I saw the latest Rocky movie. I wondered how far along the virus had gotten or if he was already gone, and now this.
I saw Magic Johnson on Deal Or No Deal recently, he looks like he's gained 50 pounds or more. I doubt that he will actually die from AIDS. He'll die from old age before that happens. Too much money to let any disease take him.