Otyg

When I said prog, I didn't mean prog metal, I meant more prog rock, and fusion of folk and jazz. Nothing to do with metal, jsut wanted to clarify that. I love the originality of bands like Solefald, Arcturus and such.

FrostbittenGrimness said:
When I said prog, I didn't mean prog metal, I meant more prog rock, and fusion of folk and jazz. Nothing to do with metal, jsut wanted to clarify that. I love the originality of bands like Solefald, Arcturus and such.

prog metal... it's nothing but a mixture. nothing really new, more distortion, double bass, that's it. don't get me wrong i love prog metal, but i adore prog rock and other progressive and artistic stuff as well. actually there is hardly no prog metal band which created something really new and outstanding. vintersorg may be such a band. haven't ever listened to arcturus, yet...
but most bands are, as i mentioned before, "stupid" bastards of prog rock and heavy riffs. dream theater for example. they are one of my favourite bands ever but what i like in them are their technical skills and the groove.

Thidrek said:
actually there is hardly no prog metal band which created something really new and outstanding.

What the heck are you talking about. Go listen to Age Of Silence, Arcturus, Borknagar, Cronian, Diabolical Masquerade, Peccatum, Sigh, late Vintersorg, Voivod, Winds. Listen to ANY of these bands and tell me any other band that sounds intrinsically similar to them that didn't just copy them after coming into existence. The whole IDEA of progressive music is bands creating something new and different and cutting edge. Just because the most famous prog metal band (Dream Theater) didn't exactly do that, don't pigeon hole the whole fucking genre.

karpsmom said:
What the heck are you talking about. Go listen to Age Of Silence, Arcturus, Borknagar, Cronian, Diabolical Masquerade, Peccatum, Sigh, late Vintersorg, Voivod, Winds. Listen to ANY of these bands and tell me any other band that sounds intrinsically similar to them that didn't just copy them after coming into existence. The whole IDEA of progressive music is bands creating something new and different and cutting edge. Just because the most famous prog metal band (Dream Theater) didn't exactly do that, don't pigeon hole the whole fucking genre.

Alright, I'll give them a listen. Maybe I'm not yet into it enough :p

The whole IDEA of progressive music is bands creating something new and different and cutting edge.

Yeah, that's the idea. But if there is one band doing something new and another band trying to copy them, the style of the copying band remains progressive rock/metal/whatsoever although it's not progressive. and there are way too much of those kind of bands, Neal Morse for example, boring stuff... I hope, you get what I mean.

Yea I get what you mean, that's why you have to focus on the bands that started all the progressive movements, and try to find new bands that fit into the progressive world because they are actually creating something new rather than copying bands that did so before them.

that's what i usually do when searching for new music :)
i'm very open-minded and listen to björk as well as to grindcore ;)
but i'm damn sensitive when it comes to the vocal so i don't listen to meshuggah or mars volta although they are ingenious in terms of technical issues, that's my biggest prob :/ ;)

I can't stand the singer from the mars volta, although I can stand alot of other vocalists, ie; I think james LaBrie's nasality (ok, that's not a real word haha?) makes his voice awesome.

it sounds a bit gay but his voice is nice anyway ;)
I'm not into singing that much but there are some singers who are really awesoe but i just cannot stand their voice, another example is mike patton (faith no more)...

one of the voices i adore is that of Ian Anderson (Jethro Tull). :)

he sounds like the singer of any other ndh (neue deutsche härte [new german hardness...], I think it's formerly known as just "shock rock") band. megaherz for example.
but Till singing in a viking metal band would be just awesome!

Megaherz is good,,Alexx was a much better singer than Mattias though. But i still prefer Till's voice,its like deeper