New track. Very disappointed.

its terrible how critical we all are...but the opeth guys should take it as a compliment...fuck, this song blows away most other metal songs out there right now...but i'm still dissapointed as hell. lol!!! i'm gonna give it time.

The song does has some intresting parts.
But the riffs are boring 'chug chug' riffs, even lamb of god have more creative riffs. The keyboards just sound crap like they're there just for the sake of it. The vocals are completley bollocks and life less. The whole structrue of the song has no flow atall, and its just comming off as trying to be over arty and pretentious just because it can.

Seriously, i have truely loved Opeth for many years and this just does not hold up to anything they have done before. its not just the crappy sound quallity, its the crappy SONG quallity.

R.I.P Opeth:confused:

Morgour said:
The song does has some intresting parts.
But the riffs are boring 'chug chug' riffs, even lamb of god have more creative riffs. The keyboards just sound crap like they're there just for the sake of it. The vocals are completley bollocks and life less. The whole structrue of the song has no flow atall, and its just comming off as trying to be over arty and pretentious just because it can.

Seriously, i have truely loved Opeth for many years and this just does not hold up to anything they have done before. its not just the crappy sound quallity, its the crappy SONG quallity.

R.I.P Opeth:confused:

Have you listened to the song at all?
To say Lamb of Dog have more creative riffs is pretty silly. Admittedly, the first pasrt of the song isn't "innovative" in terms of riffs, but you have to look past the riffs and see the song as the whole. The middle section doesn't have any "chug" riffs. All Lamb of Dog does is rehash old thrash riffs. To say they're more creative than Opeth is pretty stupid :rolleyes:
The keyboards I can't comment on since you can only hear the them when they're playing leads, for all we know pear is doing all sorts of shit.
Saying the song has no flow... :confused: have you listened to morningrise and orchid?
As has been repeated over and over, you can't judge the whole album based on this song anyway. Are you saying the whole album will consist of nothing but "chug" riffs and whispered vocals with no acoustics? Somehow I doubt it. :Smug:

Wow, posts 39-41 are the most ridiculous things on this forum. You basically just buried Opeth as a great band anymore based off of some terribly shitty rip. You have to really try to hear anything going on in the background of this song and it's the ONLY song you've heard off of the album. Just wait til the actual thing comes out, blast it at your face, and then say you think they suck now. Otherwise you really have nothing to base anything on.

Moringrise was no Orchid, MAYH was no Morningrise, Still Life was no MAYH, BWP was no Still Life, and Deliverance was definitely no BWP. Yet, all of those albums had the signature Opeth sound, each song showing characteristics that only a band like Opeth can come up with. With "The Grand Conjuration", I sense the Opethian ambience and guitar layering, but the riffs, the solo and even the overall structure of the song seem a bit out of their flavor.

Opeth have many different sounds, and this is maybe a new one, and i find it interessting. I really like the sound, even if it crappy quality, think the new album would be killer, and I'm sure i will love it :)

BurningSky said:
Wow, posts 39-41 are the most ridiculous things on this forum. You basically just buried Opeth as a great band anymore based off of some terribly shitty rip. You have to really try to hear anything going on in the background of this song and it's the ONLY song you've heard off of the album. Just wait til the actual thing comes out, blast it at your face, and then say you think they suck now. Otherwise you really have nothing to base anything on.
Wtf, I wrote #40 and it has NOTHING to do with the topic. I said that if whoever I was replying to (I forget now who it was) was going to type like Waz, they should do a proper job of it and end with ....PEAC EOUT. So maybe it is the most ridiculous thing on this forum, but just because it's miles off-topic, not for the reason you mentioned. I didn't say word one about Opeth going to shit on account of one radio-quality rip, which I incidentally liked.

NeverIsForever said:
Wtf, I wrote #40 and it has NOTHING to do with the topic. I said that if whoever I was replying to (I forget now who it was) was going to type like Waz, they should do a proper job of it and end with ....PEAC EOUT. So maybe it is the most ridiculous thing on this forum, but just because it's miles off-topic, not for the reason you mentioned. I didn't say word one about Opeth going to shit on account of one radio-quality rip, which I incidentally liked.

Well i was going to put "except 40" but i figured that it was obvious.

threak said:
When i listen to a track like the moor, when, the funeral portrait, a fair judgement or advent for just a few examples. Those tracks make me so stunned to think that 4 individuals could write such flowing, complex and intircate music and make it work that well almost effortlessly, still to this day it blows my mind.

Wtf? The Funeral Portrait, while an awesome song, is mostly repetition. This is EXACTLY why the band did not want that mp3 circulating btw...people judging their hard work based on a poor quality radio rip. I wouldn't criticize too much when you have not heard the proper release - AND in its proper context.

Oh, and you spelt intricate wrong.

Exactly

Suppose it was 2 months from the release of Blackwater Park and all you had to judge it by was a crappy mp3 copy of Dirge For November...........

I expect the album to be all over the place and TGC is just one of the many moods created.

People complaing about this song being repetitious are ridiculous... if you haven't noticed that Opeth create songs with passages that are repeated a bunch of times than I would tell you to clean out your ears. Even on The Moor, which is a great song and never stops getting praise on this forum, there are many parts that are repetitious... I don't know how anyone could say the drums during the verse of the new song are boring... but thats just my opinion... I think the new song is amazing - some of the best Opeth yet...

especially the vocals and ESPECIALLY the keyboard part during the lead break... :headbang:

Meshuggah seems to be the most repetitive band, yet their music is some of the most complex shit ever recorded. Repetition in music dates back to oh I dunno, its origins. Look at Vivaldi's 4 seasons. Those who disagree, end your life.

NeverIsForever said:

I wasn't trying to type like Waz you whore.

bangadrian said:
i wouldn't judge a painting if i could only see it through a frosted-glass shower door, and i won't judge this song if i can only hear it through an internet radio rip

As I said from here...

Mr Samsara said:
It's not like the Ålmighty or Anna picked up the phone and told me this directly, but it seems very clear to me that the issue is NOT MONEY, but rather the quality of the file that was being passed around. Noone here can dispute the poor quality and I think you would have a hard time winning an argument that it "Doesn't matter" w/ any member of the band who poured their blood, sweat and tears into an artistic project which depends heavily on the quality of the presentation. I think Salvador Dali would not appreciate people getting a first impression of one of his paintings from an out of focus polaroid picture... understand? I think they are trying to say, "We understand and appreciate your enthusiasm, but please wait for the finished product... we think it's worth the wait!"

Threads like this only support the position of the band and are perfect examples of what must drive any artist crazy when listening to the judgement of what is in fact a bastardized version of their work. Everyone here has a right to their opinion, but the current situation makes any opinion either in the positive or negative, one that can rightfully be dismissed with a "You don't know what you're talking about." because it's an opinion made without all of the information. Again, I suggest holding judgment until you have a judgment worthy product.

Out.:devil:

Man In Black said:
Have you listened to the song at all?
To say Lamb of Dog have more creative riffs is pretty silly. Admittedly, the first pasrt of the song isn't "innovative" in terms of riffs, but you have to look past the riffs and see the song as the whole. The middle section doesn't have any "chug" riffs. All Lamb of Dog does is rehash old thrash riffs. To say they're more creative than Opeth is pretty stupid :rolleyes:
The keyboards I can't comment on since you can only hear the them when they're playing leads, for all we know pear is doing all sorts of shit.
Saying the song has no flow... :confused: have you listened to morningrise and orchid?
As has been repeated over and over, you can't judge the whole album based on this song anyway. Are you saying the whole album will consist of nothing but "chug" riffs and whispered vocals with no acoustics? Somehow I doubt it. :Smug:

Easy tiger, Did YOU listen to the song atall? the riffs are boring, they're barely even riffs, its like 'chug'______________ 'chug' and then pretentious whispering, i cant beleive im even dissing an Opeth song as they are one of my favourite bands. maybe you are being too defensive, no im not judging the whole album , just that one terrible song. There is nothing to it. Yeah orchid and Morningrise had some pretty random moments, but atleast it was intresting and atmospheric and even if the parts didnt fit together it always had the effect of making people go ' fuck! thats amazing'. Anyway, it doesnt even matter, aslong as you like the song its fine. I think it's a terrible song, and i pray to fucking Odin that the rest of the album is not the same.

it sounds like they repeat the main riff way too fucking much, and considering the main riff isn't that good it gets kind of repetitive fast. but I'm not going to pass any major judgements on such a shitastic rip, I just hope the rest of the album has a bit more atmosphere.

golbez said:
it sounds like they repeat the main riff way too fucking much, and considering the main riff isn't that good it gets kind of repetitive fast. but I'm not going to pass any major judgements on such a shitastic rip, I just hope the rest of the album has a bit more atmosphere.

Exactamundo!

THe only reason why were overly critical is becasue Opeth made us overly critical... if this album came out before all the others, we would probably be really impressed, but this song shows a complete change in pace. I dont know waht to expect. Ill buy the album no matter what, i agree, this isnt going to be Still Life II. So dont expect it to be. I usually put Opeth as a standard for the music i listen to.

BurningSky said:

The quality of the sound clip was good enough. The song itself was pretty much 10 minutes of zzzzzzzzz..... IMO

golbez said:

I agree about the main riff. It's boring & overused. Good rip or bad rip, the riff is still the same unfortunately. That's already 1/5 of the album I don't like. :ill: