New track. Very disappointed.

Demoke said:
I was excited from the first listen with Orchid, Morningrise, MAYH, Still Life and BWP. For D1 and D2 I needed much more effort to enjoy them; the same is happening with TGC.

Sadly I've to agree. And while I'm still hoping in the case of TGC, that is exactly the problem I've had with Deliverance.

i'd have to agree. i understand it was a radio quality rip...but, overall...i have liked every other opeth song more than this one...it has a really cool, creepy atmosphere, but i'm not blown away....then again, my favorite song is april ethereal...which on my first few listens was my least favorite opeth song.

there are little twists in this song that make it seem like there is something there. who knows, a few hundred more listens...it might be my new favorite.

I think it's a great track, very atmospheric to me. The keys are pretty cool, adds a lot of depth, overall has a more filled out sound.
I think the new album is going to be a bit different, but a strong effort.

Someone above mentioned that the drums have no creativity :erk:? the one thing i noticed in this song is that the drums are stepped up a bit, a lot more off timing and some interesting tom & cymbal work in there too.
some people these days just expect the godamn song to reach out the speakers and give you a handjob too i guess, oh well...

shark22 said:
I always felt that Opeth were all about the music and not selling out. Them touring with all the nu metal bands is scary.

Who said they sold out? And who said that they are touring with nu-metal bands? There's a difference between nu-metal and metalcore, yes they're both shit, but one is more bullshit than the other and I think we all know which one it is.
My thoughts on the new song after the first listen weren'y very great, but after giving a few listens it really grew on me and it's true that much is lost in the quality of the rip. At one point I can't even hear the doublebass pedals, it just sounds like a distant rumble and I know if the quality was better that that part and many other parts would be that much better.

Oh.....oh shit.....fuck, do you see that? It's coming over the hill! IT'S CHANGE!! OH GOD WE FEAR IT! RUN! OUR FEEBLE MINDS WILL BREAK UNDER THE STRAIN OF SOMETHING DIFFERENT!!!

Shut up.

"my favorite song is april ethereal...which on my first few listens was my least favorite opeth song. "

I hated "the moor" in the beginning, but now its my favorite track!
For those who didn't like the new track, it will be better when its out on cd. shitty radioquality. missing all the good sounds of opeth, all the holy sound! I thing ghost reveries would be good. But IMO the new tracks was pretty good, even though its bad quality! :)

i didnt like it either.. alot of repeated riffs.. like that intro riff thats also played somewhere in the middle sounds liek a part from demon of the fall.. and the part right after the intro sounds sorta like the song deliverance, at the begining..(chug chug chug..) i really liked it at first cause i was excited but i guess upon hearing it a few times it started to lose its spark.. :(..

I remember the first time I listened to "The Moor"... You know, I bought Still Life just because of the cover, which was so nice looking, and the logo (blind buy)... Well, I came home, played the track... then the intro to The Moor... I was like "wtf?", I thought I had bought heavy music... minutes later comes the accoustic guitar and then, pufffffff roarrr, I was completely blown away for ever.

Again *waiting for new release*

The way i look at it, i think the song is pretty good, but i think the album as a whole will be much better. As far as quality goes, what if a song such as moonlapse vertigo or the moor was leaked in this quality, you would shit your pants, cause even though it sounded bad quality the song was amazing. i dunno, its hard to tell through the shitty quality,.

I can understand that this song will sound fantastic once its out on cd, and especially on vinyl being the direct master and all. But my point is that this just is'nt an opeth song. It revolves around a very bland riff with barely any chord work. The mellow/quiet parts involve almost no acousitc guitar parts either. Like someone else said, its like a basic chuggy industrial riff repackaged with the opeth name on it. The keyboards sound like they could have been done by any semi decent metal band also.

When i listen to a track like the moor, when, the funeral portrait, a fair judgement or advent for just a few examples. Those tracks make me so stunned to think that 4 individuals could write such flowing, complex and intircate music and make it work that well almost effortlessly, still to this day it blows my mind. My expectations for new opeth albums have always been very high. And everytime they have managed to deliver without fail.

This just inst up to standard. So dont tell me that this is a pointless post. Its very valid and important, not just to me but to alot of other people who have agreed with me.

threak said:
I can understand that this song will sound fantastic once its out on cd, and especially on vinyl being the direct master and all. But my point is that this just is'nt an opeth song.

You know, if you don't like it, you don't like it. That's that.

It's not roadrunner's fault. It's Opeth's fault, and yours for not liking it.

And sorry to dissapoint you, but it IS an Opeth song. Express your sorrow and dissapointment, and find a new band to listen to.

Protected Witness said:
You know, if you don't like it, you don't like it. That's that.

It's not roadrunner's fault. It's Opeth's fault, and yours for not liking it.

And sorry to dissapoint you, but it IS an Opeth song. Express your sorrow and dissapointment, and find a new band to listen to.
Great point protected witness. I may have to find some new bands. :cool:

shark22 said:
Great point protected witness. I may have to find some new bands. :cool:

Yep! 99.9% of all great bands will hit a peak, and then head downhill. I was unimpressed with Deliverence, and the new song leaves a grim outlook for Opeth. I love Orchid thru Blackwater Park, but...... chances of me purchasing another album from these guys are not good.

No big deal..... there are other great bands to listen to. :)

I like it. I like it a lot.

It was intense live. The radio rip sounds like ass. I love the dynamics of the tune... great smooth creepy mellow parts, intense death parts, killer drumming throughout, cool solo, fresh new ideas from Mike in the vocal dept.

Shit - they've thrown us a little curveball every album (thank god they got off the leprechaun music thing after Morningrise). What did you expect? Still Life II? I've already got that album. I definitely want to hear something completely original. So far I'm real happy with what I've heard.