Our first taste of Game of Thrones is coming early

booB

Señor Member
Mar 25, 2003
Cleveland, OH USA
From HBO's Making Game of Thrones website (and probably a bunch of other places):

... don't forget that the first 15 minutes of the season premiere can be seen tomorrow night (Sunday, April 3) at 9 PM on HBO and will be available here on "Making Game of Thrones" immediately after it airs.

So, I guess all of us will be able to find out ahead of time whether the show looks to satisfy our requirements. :) Myself, from having seen all the preview material several times over, and from having read multiple interviews with Dan and David, I believe that they are trying to stick to GRRM's vision as closely as they possibly can.

Let us know how it is. I suspect they will have a glut of subscriptions around April 15 or 16th.

You can see for yourself at the link above. While there are some changes (such as aging all the kids by 2-3 years, which is absolutely necessary for bringing it to the mainstream), it follows GRRM's vision quite well, which is not a surprise considering what big fans David and Dan are of the series. The Wall looks immense.

Oh, and it's actually only about 12-13 minutes long. So, if it seems short, remember that it's only about one-fifth of the first episode, not one-fourth.

I've been keeping up with this since it was greenlit, and so far I've been thoroughly impressed. I was worried for a while there, given that GoT is one of my favorite books and it's so easy to screw up a large pseudo-medieval story (Pillars of the Earth), but so far everything looks spot-on, and any changes that I've heard of have made perfect sense without compromising the story.

All year? I'm just subbing through the summer, basically - GoT and True Blood are all I'm interested in.

I subbed to HBO just for this.....got three months free, and the rest of the year for $10/month, which I decided was Worth It.

I'll make a decision in a year whether I want to keep it. :)

Since GRRM has been taking an active on-set role in the development, I have to assume that the changes -- such as aging the kids a bit, which I agree would be a necessity -- meet with his approval.

I've got the first ep of the Borgias sitting on my desktop, but have not gotten around to it yet. I've heard good things from the people who've seen it, though.

I signed up for HBO - they're coming out on Monday morning. I'm pretty sure I'm going to change my mind. cancel, and just stream Game of Thrones, though, because I can't just get HBO a la carte; I have to get digital cable for an extra $35 a month. I don't watch enough TV to justify 250 channels - these days the only thing I watch are the Simpsons and Family Guy a couple times a week.

Oh, and The Borgias was pretty entertaining.

I signed up for HBO - they're coming out on Monday morning. I'm pretty sure I'm going to change my mind. cancel, and just stream Game of Thrones, though, because I can't just get HBO a la carte; I have to get digital cable for an extra $35 a month. I don't watch enough TV to justify 250 channels - these days the only thing I watch are the Simpsons and Family Guy a couple times a week.

Oh, and The Borgias was pretty entertaining.

Yeah, premium channels are digital these days, and you've gotta have a receiver. Even so, I enjoy having the full menu of digital cable channels. Even though I don't watch a ton of cable, I enjoy having such varied stuff as the Tennis Channel, Discovery Science, Fox Business, and G4, at my beck and call whenever necessary. I occasionally look at my cable bill with the intention of dropping some services, and find that there's really nothing I feel like doing without.

However, I balk at the concept of paying $13/month for ONE network, for two shows, with 10-12 episodes each. I rarely watch movies, which is mostly what HBO is for. Even with Game of Thrones and True Blood, HBO is not worth the price. I can see the episodes for free when they air, and then buy and own them when they come out on Blu-Ray. Hell, I watch twice as many Showtime shows, and even Showtime isn't worth that much cash to me.

See, I was okay with $13 a month - that's about what I was expecting to pay. $13 x 3 (which is about how many months the show ought to run) is equivalent to about what the DVD set is going to cost, maybe even less than that. But I really do NOT watch that much TV - the only shows I can't catch with what I have now are on the subscription channels. The premium channels are worthless to me.

I have a question, since HBO decided to pick this up, are they planning to run the entire story? (all of the George Martin Books?) I mean since we don't even know how the book series is giong to end, once HBO decided to do this, aren't they committed to do the entire book series over the next several years? If not, that would be like showing the first half of a movie and then not showing the other part...