Our first taste of Game of Thrones is coming early

Yeah, premium channels are digital these days, and you've gotta have a receiver. Even so, I enjoy having the full menu of digital cable channels. Even though I don't watch a ton of cable, I enjoy having such varied stuff as the Tennis Channel, Discovery Science, Fox Business, and G4, at my beck and call whenever necessary. I occasionally look at my cable bill with the intention of dropping some services, and find that there's really nothing I feel like doing without.

However, I balk at the concept of paying $13/month for ONE network, for two shows, with 10-12 episodes each. I rarely watch movies, which is mostly what HBO is for. Even with Game of Thrones and True Blood, HBO is not worth the price. I can see the episodes for free when they air, and then buy and own them when they come out on Blu-Ray. Hell, I watch twice as many Showtime shows, and even Showtime isn't worth that much cash to me.

With this logic the only reason to pay for something is if you believe there is a high enough risk to get caught. So why pay for the BluRay versions? Why not just dl and burn them?

It's pricey and it and True Blood are the major reasons I do have HBO right now (unfortuately I didn't get as good of a deal as Pellaz got). But if I didn't have it, I'd likely just wait until they were available to rent. I just can't imagine dl'ing and watching them on the computer, or streaming them on something like justin.tv.

With this logic the only reason to pay for something is if you believe there is a high enough risk to get caught. So why pay for the BluRay versions? Why not just dl and burn them?

Because I'm not an asshole, and, furthermore, I don't appreciate your personal implications here.

It isn't worth it to me to pay just to watch them once. It is, however, worth it to me to buy the Blu-Ray when it comes out, so I can have the personal satisfaction of owning the package, as well as the freedom to watch the show whenever I want. Likewise, I would never pay for a service which lets me listen to prog/power metal albums before they come out, but not own physical copies of them. I would rather "steal" a virtual copy if I absolutely needed to hear it in advance of its release date (this is rare for me), and then buy the real thing when it is released.

I'd just feel pretty guilty about downloading shows because I don't want to pay for it. I realize that you aren't paying for the show when you pay the station, you are paying for everything, and yeah that's been a tough choice, but I feel a need to be able to watch game of thrones.

I realize that you aren't paying for the show when you pay the station, you are paying for everything, and yeah that's been a tough choice, but I feel a need to be able to watch game of thrones.

I do too, but not for $36 more a month. Voting with my wallet.

There's a new trailer up, this one titled Poison.

I hope the episodes will be available for purchase On Demand. I'd gladly pay a few bucks to watch the show.

I hope the episodes will be available for purchase On Demand. I'd gladly pay a few bucks to watch the show.

It would be great if HBO would do that, but unfortunately they don't (afaik). I'm pretty sure that they don't show up on iTunes or any other service soon after airing. If they did, I'd definitely would go that route, as like Boob I rarely watch HBO for the movies (or other series).

It would be great if HBO would do that, but unfortunately they don't (afaik). I'm pretty sure that they don't show up on iTunes or any other service soon after airing. If they did, I'd definitely would go that route, as like Boob I rarely watch HBO for the movies (or other series).

True enough. I'd prefer to order GoT and True Blood a la carte if I could. Instead I'll be resorting to illegal and risky methods to watch it, until the Blu-Ray package comes out. I don't really like HBO, outside of those two series.

I don't blame you for downloading them. I'd likely be tempted to as well. But I don't know... its one of those weird areas for me, that since I can purchase HBO and just get them, that I ought to.

I didn't know there was a 30 minute one. The longest I've seen was the 11:15 one. Is this just on-demand for subscribers?

No, it was broadcast, I think as a regular 'filler' piece on HBO. Really good.
And, it had direwolves. :headbang:

One thing I'll say for HBO...they sure know how to hype something.
Whenever I tune across any of their channels I'm seeing Jon Snow or Eddard "please, don't call me Boromir" Stark. :heh:

and it and True Blood are the major reasons I do have HBO right now (unfortuately I didn't get as good of a deal as Pellaz got.

Ask me again after 6 months; I'm sure they'll screw me SOMEHOW. :)

I actually found the half hour preview on YouTube tonight. Very thorough and insightful... between this and the "Poison" trailer, I think there is plenty of information for anyone new to the series to be able to understand what's going on, which is good considering how complex this story is.

Anyone else catch either Camelot or The Borgias? (Starz channel and Showtime, respectively)

Yes; I have been watching both. This sort of epic, historical or quasi-historical serialized show appeals to me. Both have been enjoyable so far, IMO.

FYI: apparently, HBO is free this weekend for most of the US. If you're interested in seeing this show, and you have the correct setup (digital cable in most areas), then you can see the premiere for free tonight.

Anyone else catch either Camelot or The Borgias? (Starz channel and Showtime, respectively)

Somehow Camelot has passed under my radar, but I'll need to check it out. Huge Jeremy Irons fan, though, and have loved the Borgias.

Oh, and, booB, thanks for the heads up! Was able to DVR the episode to watch later this week when I've got the time. Awesome.

I'm a big fan of the series and subscribed to HBO just for this. Bonus that they were having a promo for adding HBO for $6/mo. for 6 months! Just saw today that due to the great response, there will be a 2nd season made from Clash of Kings. I'm totally loving the series and the many awesome ways that HBO is marketing it!

From an oldbie's PoV, it was very detailed, and very true to the book. The changes made for the adaptation are minor, and help the story along a bit without significantly changing the situations.