Our flannel prank for Tom Englund at the Kick-Off Thursday

miel

Mrs. Harvester
Staff member
Feb 17, 2009
This year, Glenn and the crew had a special surprise planned for Tom Englund of Evergrey. Here's an explanation for those that either missed it or were confused..

The *new* band's brand-new video "Wrong" off of their new disc "Glorious Collision" had gotten a lot of attention on various social media outlets (including our forum: http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/progpower-usa/661294-new-evergrey-video-wrong.html) when it debuted. Rightly so, Tom was anxious to gauge fans' responses on their very first video with the "new" band and also the album that they put their hearts and souls into.

Immediately, fans began to post feedback on "Wrong" and (unfortunately) the vast majority of responses included fans teasing Tom for wearing plaid flannel in this video.. calling him a mainstream sell-out, an Alternative wanna-be, an Eddie Vedder look alike, etc.

Under a pseudonym on facebook, Tom eventually caved and responded to fans' harsh criticisms with "It's god damned cotton!!!" To which cracked up Glenn and got the wheels turning for our planned prank!

J-Dub (John Willcoxen) created a 3 min. video montage complete with Pearl Jam "Ten" audio and still side-by-side images of both Vedder and Tom.. it was priceless!! Ater the Vanden Plas set Thurs. night, we projected the video on the 2 big screens on the sides of the main stage.

The crew intentionally left the curtain OPEN while changing over the stage, and each crew member donned their own flannel. :) Glenn (sporting flannel as well) welcomed Tom to the stage, and he took a quick glimpse around at each crew member and immediately began laughing. Allen caught the priceless moment very well.

_ART5664.jpg

Images from the video:

THISONE.jpg

NEWTOM2ADD.jpg

29948345-29948350-slarge.jpg

NEWTOM2ADD2.jpg

TOM1.jpg

TheEnd.jpg

~Jen

I wasn't fast enough to get this in focus (or maybe I was just laughing too hard to hold steady):

307493_10150299413336338_506311337_8272255_702072518_n.jpg

I saw that and I was like "WTF"? Did we suddenly decide to hold a grunge fest or something? I guess the fact that I missed that whole thread on the video (as well as never seen the video itself), the whole thing just went over my head. I only finally picked up the new Everygrey album at the fest.

Thanks for the explanation - that was pretty funny now that I got the back story.

But hey, I got a few flannel shirts around here, and to Tom's defense, they are comfortable as hell.

Yeah, I think the joke was lost amongst most of us, particularly when we were watching the video trying to figure it out. Thanks for explanation.

I was tweeting away about what was happening hoping that folks were following.

~Jen

I was tweeting away about what was happening hoping that folks were following.

~Jen

That's the only way I knew to pay attention. Otherwise I would have just blanked out on the fact that the curtain was open and videos were playing, and gone off to get something to eat. Instead I was cackling like crazy in my chair, trying to explain to everyone what was so funny. Since I didn't know the story, I was just laughing at the flannel and grunge pics, knowing it was intentional. No one else in my group thought it was that funny. Not one of my coolest moments. :cool: