Outboard compressor chain.

Another reason to hit the preamp first is that some outboard gear can get totally fried if you (likely accidentally) send phantom power through it...

Thats what I do Aaron. I go mic to preamp first, so I can switch between vocals (phantom power mic) and guitar amp (sm57 with no pp)

Don't mean to sound like a dick, but I'm surprised so many people on here (this thread and in other posts) don't know where comps are used in the analogue world. Esecially when you see the gear people have! Just seems strange to me that you'd drop 1,500 euro on a comp and not know it's to be used at line level

Don't mean to sound like a dick, but I'm surprised so many people on here (this thread and in other posts) don't know where comps are used in the analogue world. Esecially when you see the gear people have! Just seems strange to me that you'd drop 1,500 euro on a comp and not know it's to be used at line level

+1 I wasn't going to say it so thanks!:loco:

+1 again. This isn't dude specific but there have been several threads lately where it's incredibly apparent how many folks here don't have even a basic understanding of analog gain staging. I think it would do a lot of folks a lot of good to go work in the analog realm a little even if it's live sound and not recording.

this.
BUT the sansamp also does that (after all it's a DI box).
This is a little deceptive b/c the sanamp is really an instrument preamp rather than a DI in the traditional sense. Most DI's reduce direct output to mic level rather than raising it to line (with some notable exceptions). I realize you know all of this but some guys don't.

Jeez guys really?

I have no outboard gear and have not even received my first piece of outboard gear yet. Thats why i'm here asking questions trying to figure this out. Thanks for everyone who helped out and helped me learn something new. Thats why I love this place.

I just feel there is no need for the "oh you should know this stuff" comments. We all start some place and learn new things every day. I'm sure i could go into a million threads on here and say "oh my god your an idiot, you should know that". I just know those people are wanting to learn and asking questions and I respect that.

This is a little deceptive b/c the sanamp is really an instrument preamp rather than a DI in the traditional sense. Most DI's reduce direct output to mic level rather than raising it to line (with some notable exceptions). I realize you know all of this but some guys don't.

you're right of course, I was more thinking about the impedance matching...should have mentioned that