Outboard Gear with 003 and PTLE7.4

Trep

Mar 16, 2008
Sydney, Australia
Hey Guys,

Ive started planning and purchasing some new gear to take my recordings a little bit out of the Box, by that making use of some out board gear. Currently im using a digi 003 console with PTLE7.4

Pretty straight forward if your using Multi fx and perhaps reverb but how can i go about running for instance a compressor or EQ on a track as an insert?

What should i be mindful of regarding signal path and Delay?

Has anybody done this on a similar setup before??

Any tips greatly appreciated

Thanks

use melowmuse time adjuster really....
other wise... c

Go to the i/o settings and set where the insert will be in the insert tab
Duplicate the track your going to be treating,
Insert the insert..... and record arm the track.
then run a small section of the song.
see where the region ends up in relation to the original and figure out how many samples it is...

Highlight the region your gonna be treating and then press Alt+h

The shift the region earlier by the ammount of samples you measured

That should do it... but im not in front of tools at the mo, so dont hold me to that.

its a plugin that compensates or the delay..
you insert it after and Ping...
esentially it does alll that shit i just described by pressing one button

ill get that then haha.

Im gonna be a pain in the ass here, haha

But is there a way to use a out board pic of gear, but activate the loop by selecting it as it was a Plugin,

I junt cant get my hear around it, i only seem to get the return. perhaps my paths are messed up. this is my signal flow

Track > Aux Send > External Unit > Aux Track/input with the selected insert.

Is that correct?

In the old cubase days all you had to do is setup a plug in by assiging your analog outs and ins and whamo, you have a (what they refer it as) "external Effect"

Can this happen in protools?

ill get that then haha.

Im gonna be a pain in the ass here, haha

But is there a way to use a out board pic of gear, but activate the loop by selecting it as it was a Plugin,

I junt cant get my hear around it, i only seem to get the return. perhaps my paths are messed up. this is my signal flow

Track > Aux Send > External Unit > Aux Track/input with the selected insert.

Is that correct?

In the old cubase days all you had to do is setup a plug in by assiging your analog outs and ins and whamo, you have a (what they refer it as) "external Effect"

Can this happen in protools?

Sure can. You'll notice when you click to insert a plugin one of the options is I/O. That will activate the cooresponding input and ouput loop which you can add your external effect into. (Remember that these must be cooresponding inputs and outputs... eg. Output 6 and Input 6 ). All of this is covered in the Pro Tools manual in depth...