Outstanding Linear phase EQ Tutorial

yeah in addition to adjusting the level of that frequency you get 180* phase shift to the frequencies above and below (octaves?). We're used to that sound though and mostly becomes a problem when working in parallel.

So you could be cutting 500Hz down on one mic and when combined with a second mic on the same source you get a boost at 300 and cut at 700Hz (these numbers are made up for example) because of how the waveforms combine. Confusing!

But that PreRinging issue seems really nasty too when it comes up.

Bryan, i don't think it's quite as simple as changing the phase on the whole channel, it'd be awesome if it was cause then you just flip it, problem solved. I think.. and people can correct me if i'm wrong that, it only affects the phase of certain frequencies depending on the type of filter you're using etc, so then it's down to your ears to make the call if it sounds better flipped or not after the EQ is applied, linear phase however seems to correct this but with other potential problems like the pre-ringing Ermz mentioned, not to mention stuff like CPU. Neither linear or minimum phase seems to be a fix all solution, i suppose it's just good to know the options of how these things work to be able to make informed decisions, which is why i set about reading and watching some stuff about it.

Great video for sure. It does really reinforce the concept of mixing with your ears and not your eyes as well as not abusing the solo functions.

I also agree that when using EQ you are changing the phase of certain frequencies, not just the entire track. You can see in the analyzer plugin that certain EQ moves would create phase issues in certain frequencies depending on the phase mode and what kind of filter was being used. As he said in the video, it is not clear which is better but my take away is that it is important to know what is being done so you can do what is best for your particular needs.

That's how I understand it too.

Btw, I guess this is why the whole pultec low shelf boost+cut at the same time works so well? I love how that sounds, but could never quite grasp why it did that.

Great video. Thanks for sharing.

One thing I find interesting is how much of the science seems to contradict using Linear Phase EQ for low-end because of this pre-ringing, yet every single time I cycle it on my bass guitar processing it sounds way tighter, thicker, punchier and subbier than minimum phase modes. This applies equally when doing low shelves on the entire mix in linear phase mode. I've never been able to create pre-ringing that was so severe it actually impacted the mix.

It was what I mentioned early, it gets tighter because of the perception of low end being shifted because the low end is hitting your ears earlier than if you eq'd with a non-linear phase eq. If low end hits your ears first followed by highs, it sounds tighter. Just look up the detailed description of the BBE sonic Maximizer, which operates on the same concept but compensates the low frequency phase shift of a speaker, which 9 times out of ten just sounds bad but the concept is there..

For anyone who's wondering, I just answered my own question. On the album I'm currently mixing I just set both of my bass buss EQs from linear phase to minimum phase and the bass guitar instantly stopped clashing with the kick as much.

^ Don't you just love when that happens :) I think that's one of the greatest powers of this forum. People talk about all kinds of things; many of which they may already know a lot about. But those conversations create an awareness of those themes that re-sparks your curiosity. And then it comes back to you in the middle of a mix and saves the moment. Knowledge is definitely power!

Thanks a lot for sharing!
I watched all video, the kick and bass buss example is pretty insane o_O
In the end, that video tells you to "use your ears" and backs it up with some "science" :D Really good spent 20 mins.

this is also a pretty good read, kind of old but still relevant.

theres an 8 page essay at the end of this written by "hutch" from manley who was involved with designing the waves REQ. always liked the sound of that EQ despite its age. sonnox is also old but still gets touted as a great EQ today (equilibrium modelled the curves from it).

http://www.waves.com/1lib/pdf/plugins/renaissance-equalizer.pdf

You know, just by looking at the thread title I knew that it had to be about some Fabfilter video :lol:. Their yt channel is great, this video included.

One thing I can't wrap my mind around is, for mastering would it make more sense to use a linear phase eq or a standard eq?