"OVER 9000 RIFFS !" (One man band - 8min Progressive Metal)

clems6belio

Yogurt as Lead3rs
Mar 2, 2012
Bordeaux (FRANCE)
Hi guys !

Here is my first real recording with the Axe FX II. Got it in september, but I didn't composed a full song with it since, only mix/tone tests.

Don't hesitate to comment and download if you like it. Here is :

So, 8 minutes progressive metal on a 6 string Ibanez RGA 32 (haha), standard tuning ! I used the EVH III model here (and peavey 4x12 cab).
Bass is my new Ibanez SR605, which is reaaaally cool. (only one patch, all the infos, and clip of the bass only,
were posted in this thread : http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-ii-recordings/58539-fat-bass-attempt-axe-fx-ii-no-b7k-haha.html)

Actually I'm firstly drummer, I usually record all my pattern with my electronic set, 'cause it's SO MUCH TIME SAVED haha, and I don't have to programm for hours. But here I tabbed all the drums with guitar pro (tab that you can download by the link on my soundcloud page ^^), so I didn't play so much parts with my e-kit this time.

What can I say more ?

I put some vocals on it to, screams, choirs, I particulary like those vox from 2:20 to 3:15, pretty catchy around 3min nah ? No ? Ok...
Ableton Live 8, and greats plugins from Waves and iZotope

Feedback would be appreciated
:D

Last edited by a moderator:
Dude, seriously awesome song.

Everything is pretty scooped. Sounds like you might have monitoring issue? I'd add some midrange on the guitars and drums.

Thanks.

I use the M-Audio B8XA and never had any issue with it. Pretty cheap and boosted on lows but I don't have the feelings that it lacks mids, even when I compare with references mixes.
What should I do ? Listen it on hi fi system ?
Maybe it's just my mix... And I hope it's just my mix and not my system haha.

Anyway, my guitar tone is from the same patch that I used here : http://soundcloud.com/clems6belio/axe-fx-ii-high-gain-amps
(first one with the 5153 Red model)
Does it lacks mids here too ?

The song was cool, but the mix needs work. The bass is way too loud, the low end on the bass is very out of control and overwhelming. Because of the bass there is a nasty pumping going. When you chug on the guitar there is some serious low mid build up muddying up and pumping the mix as well.

mfw playing a 6 string guitar in standard tuning is "weird" :loco:

Listen to Allan, theres too much bass

The guitar sound to me sounds too digital and scooped, kinda harsh, it removes from the pleasure

I don't know if I like or not the song, there are way too many random riffs that are just absolutely generic and kinda messy at times where the drums do complicated patterns that don't really communicate well with the guitars, but at the same time there are very good ideas around the 3/4 of the song when they become more mature (like before the solo). Also, I don't get why there is a voice only for a few seconds, and then later some growls for only a few seconds again. As a listener, I think this is an instrumental, and when I think "ok so this was a long intro to a song ?" I realize I was wrong again.

Might sound negative but I actually enjoyed listening to this at least (rare on this part of the forum)

This actually sounds negative but negative criticism like this is constructive, so thank you for comment, helps me a lot :D
Anyway, I understand what you mean. This song is a demo, of... riffs yeah haha. and your comment does not deal with mix only but with flow and composition.
I've just started a prog metal / jazz band and this song sign the END of my "teenager demoing period" haha, so I'll do my possible for the next songs not to be that "anarchic", and more... consistent ^^

And, I've just updated the mix, thank to your comments : http://soundcloud.com/clems6belio/over-9000-riffs
So thank you guys or you feedback :)

The new mix is really harsh. A lot of 2-4k nasty. My honest advice would be to post DIs and let some of the guys here help :)

Composition is pretty good. I like the way it flows and the breaks are pretty cool. worthy of a good mix!