Overheads - again

tgs

Elder
Yeah, sorry to post this once again, but the situation is a bit changed, I've kind of decided on a couple of different mics and I would like to ask your help with opinions!
What I am considering is as follows:
AKG C451 (my top choice right now)
Shure SM81
Shure SM94
Oktava C012

Which of these would you recommend? I will get two to begin with, and add one more whenever I will need it. It's great of course if the mics can also be used for some other applications as well.
Also, if you have any other mics to recommend, please tell! I don't want to pay TOO much though.

Thanks!

/Tore

I have a pair of AKG C451 and I'm very happy with them, they are a good choice. I've used them on cymbals, hihats and ride of course, but also on acoutic guitar and flute with great results. Never tried the other ones.

I've always preferred the C451's for softer music, or for hihat/ride mic's. As far as the mic's you mentioned, I'd either go for the 81's, or the Oktava's. The 81's are great for metal, very clear and not excessively bright. The Oktava is probably one of the best deals in gear today. They sound GREAT on so many different things, and cost soo much less than other comparable gear. I've only used the Sm94's once, and didn't think that they were anything special for OH's. Other than the ones on your list and still within your budget, I'd recommend Shure KSM44's and Audio-Technica AT4040's or 4033's. Andy turned me onto the AT's, and I've loved them ever since. You can find great deals on them on Ebay, so it's worth looking into.

Exsanguis said:
I've always preferred the C451's for softer music, or for hihat/ride mic's. As far as the mic's you mentioned, I'd either go for the 81's, or the Oktava's. The 81's are great for metal, very clear and not excessively bright. The Oktava is probably one of the best deals in gear today. They sound GREAT on so many different things, and cost soo much less than other comparable gear. I've only used the Sm94's once, and didn't think that they were anything special for OH's. Other than the ones on your list and still within your budget, I'd recommend Shure KSM44's and Audio-Technica AT4040's or 4033's. Andy turned me onto the AT's, and I've loved them ever since. You can find great deals on them on Ebay, so it's worth looking into.

which ones did andy use on nevrrmore´s new album ? 4033 or 4040 ?

Wow, I didn't know that Andy was using AT's. Where the hell have I been?

I love the 4040's! I've only used 'em as loaners, but I get a lot of mileage out of my pair of 3035's. Great mics for the $$$.

Kinda wish I'd just saved up for the 4040's, though. Damn you, hindsight.

I'm not sure whether Andy used the 4040's or the 4033's on the new Nevermore, but I can safely say that both of them work great for OH's, as well as with MANY other sources (vox, acoustic and electric guitars, etc.). I have more experience with the 4033, but I love both of them, and you can find them for pretty damn cheap on ebay if you look around a little bit.

In the near future I'll be having to record drums with very minimal resources. I'm predicting the best I'll be able to do is 2 overhead/rooms + triggered snare and kick.

Does that change the approach, or does the advice in this topic still apply.. concerning mic choice?

I've been using the SM81's At 4040's and AKG 451's. I'm never happy with overheads just cause you're alway battling with the snare and dynamics. I think the best oh's I've ever got were with KM84's, I'm thinking of just buying a few of those. One thing I used on the new Nevermore was an SM98 under the bell of the ride, and the separation has worked out great on that. One thing I noticed with Metallica last time I saw them was the lack of overheads, I know they were using (or said they did anyway) those little zildjian mics that clipped on the stand (sounded like ass when I tried one) anyone got any idea what they may be using??? I was impressed with the separation.

I know that Metallica uses mostly Audio Technica microphones on stage... Here's what I found :

Mick Hughes : "I've been using Audio-Technica for years because of the way A-T mics sound," stated Big Mick, who is currently using a wide selection of Audio-Technica mics to capture Metallica's signature sound. "I'll continue to use some of my 'old standard' A-T mics, but recently I have added some of the new Artist Elite® mics to my setup, including the AE5400 and AE2500. The AE5400 on vocal has stunning tone with great highs," commented Big Mick. In addition to the AE5400, Big Mick is using ATM35's on toms and cymbals, AT4051 on snare bottom and hi-hat, ATM23HE on snare top, as well as AE2500's and AT4050's on guitar cabinets. In addition, Metallica guitarist James Hetfield has recently switched to Audio-Technica's Artist Elite 5000 Series Wireless System with the AEW-T1000 transmitter.

atm35.jpg

More informations here : http://www.audio-technica2.co.uk/pages/prs/pr.asp?prid=86