illinois
I am currenlty using-
Bass Drum- (2) Akg D112's or (2) Heil Sound PR-40's
(2) Ddrum Bass triggers
Snare- Shure sm57 or Heil PR-30 or Heil PR-20
Toms- Shure sm 57
Hi-hat- Heil PR-20 or Heil PR-30
OverHeads- (2) Akg c1000s or (2)Hiel PR-30

I have alot of Heil mics due to the fact Heil is in my town and I have a friend that works there. Heil mics are amazing as well. Just if you are curious about them. And no, this is not a PLUG for Heil, they just bring out good mics

I am currenlty using-
Bass Drum- (2) Akg D112's or (2) Heil Sound PR-40's
(2) Ddrum Bass triggers
Snare- Shure sm57 or Heil PR-30 or Heil PR-20
Toms- Shure sm 57
Hi-hat- Heil PR-20 or Heil PR-30
OverHeads- (2) Akg c1000s or (2)Hiel PR-30

I have alot of Heil mics due to the fact Heil is in my town and I have a friend that works there. Heil mics are amazing as well. Just if you are curious about them. And no, this is not a PLUG for Heil, they just bring out good mics

Yeah, i hear the PR 20 is pretty amazing on snare. Can you get me a discount? :)

yeah, pr-30's are probably your best bet for anything besides a kick drum, pr-40's are where its at, period. The pr-30 is a supercardiod mic and supercardiod mics are the best for snare and toms. they minimize bleed from cymbals and hi-hats. The Shure Beta 57 is amazing as well. does the same thing as the pr-30. Jason Bittner used a beta 57 on the last shadows album. the snare on that sounds great.

varies with the kit, style, skins etc...but mostly it's something like:

Kick: Audix D6
Snare top and bottom: sm57 (each)
Hats: sm7
Racktoms: Audix D2
Floortom: md421-n (the old one)
Ride: 414XLII (or Beyer m160...completely different though)
Overhead: Neumann km184

room: various

wow, a shure sm7 on the hats...how does that sound. is that to just minimize bleed from everything else around?

I used to use 451 but then on this one project I didn't have enough mics so I used the sm7 instead and learned to love it ;)
it has a really nice midrange that suits the hats just perfectly and gives it a nice bite without too much sizzle.
the only negative thing is that it's pretty heavy and so the stand is a bit hard to place since you can't really use a longer boom cause the mic would just drag it down.

but yeah, my main (and exclusive) mic for hats since then

wow, that is different, ill have to pick up a sm7 anyway for vax, so ill have to try it out next time i record some stuff

it will be a moment, cause my band is in my studio right now and the funds really are small right now...it will be around 2 months though, i will let ya know, who would of thoughta sm7....guess you never know till you try

kick - beta 52
Snare - beta 57
toms - 57/421 or sennheiser bass drum mic on floor tom
hats - rode nt 1 (it works)
Ride - rode ntk or sennheiser 845
ohs - royer 121 back side phased reversed
room - akg d112 + whatever else is left over

Kick- Sennheiser e602/Shure KSM27
Snare- Shure SM57/KSM27/Sennheiser e604/Rode NT5/Audix OM-2 (yeah, it's my live vocal mic. It works.)
Toms- SM57/e604/e602 on floor
OH/Ride/Hats- Rode NT5s. SM57 on hats/under ride if I absolutely need something and don't have an extra SDC around.
Room- Whatever works. LDC, PZM, whatever.

kick - beyer m88
snare - 57 top/bottom (sometimes shell), sometime km184 on top. sometimes a royer R121 aimed and the kick beater and snare bottom.
toms - md421
OH - mojave ma 200's/km184's
rooms - earthworks sr20

Kick - Beta 52 and Akg d112 combo for one kick + Trigger usually Roland
Snare - 2 SM57's
Rack toms - Senn MD421's or I LOVE LOVE LOVE ATM25's <3
Floor Tom's - Senn MD421's or Beta52/D112
HH- Oktava 012's or AKG 414TLII
Overheads - AKG 414's the old silver and black ones
Room - 2 Octava 012's space to room proportions
Ride AKG 414TLII

:headbang:

Kick Drum: D6
Rack Toms: D2 (they combine a 421ish sound with a convenient size and an hypercardïod pattern)
Floor Tom D4 (basically a D2 with extended lows. Awesome mic.)
Snare Top I5. A crucial aspect that few people seem aware of: 57's are hypercardïod at higher frequencies which mean the so called null position can pick a lot of HH bleed. That's the very reason I switched to I5. Better separation.
Snare Bottom: SM57.
OH and Cymbals: Whatever is available (crappy nt3's right now). C451 are next on my list.
Room: Cheap measurment microphones. It can't be stressed enough that those mics are great in this application because of their flat response and their omni pattern.

123lz4.jpg

231my4.jpg

kick: 902
snare top: 57
snare bot: 906
toms: 904
floortom: d112
OH: NT1000
ride bottom: 57
room: whatever works

that's what i've been doing lately

any one else expirience with the 902? i just love it since it's response is so quick, even soft hits get quite a bit of attack, more than with the D6 I've noticed