Need an aggressive vocal mic suggestion ASAP!

Ermz

¯\(°_o)/¯
Apr 5, 2002
Melbourne, Australia
www.myspace.com
Hey guys,

I'm going into the studio in a few days to track vocals and we're hiring out external mics/preamps/comps. We've already got the API 512c sorted and the Distressor, but unfortunately the place doesn't have a Shure SM7B on hand.

Which mics out of this list do you think would handle an aggressive screaming/metalcore style vocal the best?

NEUMANN VALVE MIC’S (VINTAGE 47,48,49,67.)
NEUMANN FET MIC’S 47,85/85,87,89.
AKG C12 VR,
AKG 414’s,
AKG 45I’s
SENNHEISERS 421’s
BEYER 88
SHURE 57’s
ROYER RIBBON
COLES

I'm not so sure about the Neumanns. I mean they're unreal on the right vocal style, but for aggressive metal I don't know.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

I tried the shure pg 81 when I tracked some death voaclas, and it worked great, also the 57 is good, but it lacks hair and body for my taste.

i would try the 47, 67, 49, 87, and 89 first. if none of them do asnything for you, try the 421/m88 - they're both sm7 like. If all else fails, sm57.

Stay away from the c12vr, it could be the worst mic ever.

use one and you'll understand. It's really bad sounding, it is the most overpriced mic in contrast to it's sound quality.

Fuck, just looked at the price - for $5k, anything less than life-changing makes it a ripoff to end them all IMO!

all the vox on day to remembers new album were tracked with a neuman u87 and the screams sound pretty damn heavy. I think they doubled all of the screams though which made them sound a lot more intense. And on top of that a day to remember's singer has a very solid scream.

I'd say +1 u87 but also try everything else...you never know

I would say if you like the sm7 on vocals, use the 421. They're both large diaphragm dynamic mics and have presence boosts/cuts etc so they're similar in that regard.