9. Play the Ace
10. Old School

Label: Spitfire Records
Release date: 2005
Artist site:
http://www.wreckingcrew.com/

GRADE:
8/10

Relixiv, the latest release from OVERKILL is an interesting one for me. It’s so much more of a grower than their last release Killbox 13. But grown it most certainly has, I just felt compelled to make it clear that this album is by no means an instant love affair. Then again, when was OVERKILL ever a band loved by the metal masses? Even in thrash’s heyday, these New Jersey vets weren’t given their just due. However, through the years, founding members Bobby “Blitz” Elllsworth and D.D. Verni have proven time and again their consistency and have delivered the goods, regardless of lineup changes in the guitar and drum departments. This time around, the lineup remains the same as their last, so we get to see just how the touring and whatnot has affected their material.

The album starts off in a mid paced fashion with “Within Your Eyes,” and right off the bat, you get trademark Blitz and the tone of DD’s bass just pouring through the mix. Very tight drumming from Tim Mallare who has continued to get better and better since 1993’s I Hear Black. “Love” features some interesting arrangements, with Blitz sounding like Edith Bunker from All In The Family during the verses. I think this one will probably go over well live.

Listen to the guitar tones in “Loaded Rack,” crisp, thick and embracing the word power. This is made for the pit, especially when they pick up the pace, wrecking crew members unite! “Bats in the Belfry” is pretty cool, however, there are some MACHINE HEAD like moments that are close to that nu-metal stomp that may scare away some old schoolers. However, “A Pound of Flesh” is a pummeling thrash number that’s very reminiscent of yesteryear. “Keeper” keeps up the pace, the chorus whipping my neck in a frenzy. This is definitely an album highlight. I like the main riff of “Wheelz” mid-paced, and quite catchy.
Overall, after a few listens, I find myself enjoying Relixiv, the only flaw being the last track, “Old School,” and ode to the band’s origins, and while fun to them I’m sure, pains these ears. Old school punk mixed with thrash and after a listen it just annoys the shit out of me. Worse, it’ll probably end up on the set list at some point!

PJ