Overlorde SR vs Overlorde

Diabolik

Sep 30, 2005
Chicago,IL
www.facebook.com
No one has seem to bought this up this week yet so here it is....curious to see what others think. This is from the Heaven and Hell Records facebook wall.....

In March of 2012 Heaven and Hell Records released a limited 1000 pressing CD for the band Overlorde SR (formerly known as Overlorde) titled Medieval Metal Too. The release is an archive of the band’s material recording from 1983 to 1989. Many will remember the North Carolina band from the track “Keeper of the Flame” featured on the Metal Blade Records’ Metal Massacre VIII compilation and their infamous 1985 ‘Medieval Metal’ EP.
Since the announcement of this release, both Heaven and Hell Records and Overlorde SR have been contacted by the New Jersey band Overlorde with claims of trademark infringement. The New Jersey band has also claimed that band’s similar monikers will cause confusion in the metal community. We feel there are substantial questions about who first used “Overlorde” and who is best known as Overlorde. We also feel that the audience for this material is sufficiently small and sophisticated to know the difference between Overlorde and Overlorde SR (in fact, we also reissued material by Canada’s Overlord). Nevertheless, the issue should be settled, and it should be settled between the bands without threats to Heaven and Hell Records. In light of this situation Heaven and Hell Records will be ceasing with sales of Overlorde SR – Medieval Metal Too until the two bands have come to some agreement. In addition any plans to release another album under the name Overlorde SR have been halted at this point.
Although we do support Overlorde SR and strongly feel that the evidence shows they used the name first and have tried to avoid confusion by using “Overlorde SR”, this is an issue between the two bands. And any assumptions that there will be confusion caused between the similar monikers, and that fans will not be able to distinguish between the two just seems rather insulting to the intelligence of the metal community.
In closing H&H Records hopes that both bands can come to a civil conclusion and put this matter to rest.

It is interesting because most people in the underground dont realize how petty some people are about stuff. Should be interesting to see where this goes and it is sad that a band like Overlorde are doing this even though they are inactive and havent done much in years while Overlorde SR have begun playing shows again and releasing the disc on H&H records. I dont think anyone would really get these bands confused. It isnt like thier albums are on the shelves at Best Buy or FYE where the average music fan could feel cheated. Most people who buy these bands are the ones like most of us who research the bands we are into so we know the difference.

what does everyone else think.....

No one has seem to bought this up this week yet so here it is....curious to see what others think. This is from the Heaven and Hell Records facebook wall.....

In March of 2012 Heaven and Hell Records released a limited 1000 pressing CD for the band Overlorde SR (formerly known as Overlorde) titled Medieval Metal Too. The release is an archive of the band’s material recording from 1983 to 1989. Many will remember the North Carolina band from the track “Keeper of the Flame” featured on the Metal Blade Records’ Metal Massacre VIII compilation and their infamous 1985 ‘Medieval Metal’ EP.
Since the announcement of this release, both Heaven and Hell Records and Overlorde SR have been contacted by the New Jersey band Overlorde with claims of trademark infringement. The New Jersey band has also claimed that band’s similar monikers will cause confusion in the metal community. We feel there are substantial questions about who first used “Overlorde” and who is best known as Overlorde. We also feel that the audience for this material is sufficiently small and sophisticated to know the difference between Overlorde and Overlorde SR (in fact, we also reissued material by Canada’s Overlord). Nevertheless, the issue should be settled, and it should be settled between the bands without threats to Heaven and Hell Records. In light of this situation Heaven and Hell Records will be ceasing with sales of Overlorde SR – Medieval Metal Too until the two bands have come to some agreement. In addition any plans to release another album under the name Overlorde SR have been halted at this point.
Although we do support Overlorde SR and strongly feel that the evidence shows they used the name first and have tried to avoid confusion by using “Overlorde SR”, this is an issue between the two bands. And any assumptions that there will be confusion caused between the similar monikers, and that fans will not be able to distinguish between the two just seems rather insulting to the intelligence of the metal community.
In closing H&H Records hopes that both bands can come to a civil conclusion and put this matter to rest.

It is interesting because most people in the underground dont realize how petty some people are about stuff. Should be interesting to see where this goes and it is sad that a band like Overlorde are doing this even though they are inactive and havent done much in years while Overlorde SR have begun playing shows again and releasing the disc on H&H records. I dont think anyone would really get these bands confused. It isnt like thier albums are on the shelves at Best Buy or FYE where the average music fan could feel cheated. Most people who buy these bands are the ones like most of us who research the bands we are into so we know the difference.

what does everyone else think.....

I totally agree. No one is confused about this, and the NC crew added the SR tag just in case. This is one side being petty, but hey, maybe it's working. It's the most anyone has talked about the NJ band in years.

My quote on the matter from the other forum:

Isn't it obvious that Overlorde SR came first? I mean, it's called "Senior" for a reason, right?

In all honesty (and to be completely blunt too), I think it's one of the most ridiculous things ever. Overlorde (the Mark Edwards one, which according to my understanding is the one causing a scene) is a band that's barely active anyways. Let's be serious, they haven't released anything since 2004 (and before that, what an EP in 87?). Their website looks ancient (and it's barely ever updated). It seems to me that they're holding onto something that's been long dead (sorry if this offends anyone, but I'm calling it like it is).

What the hell is up with these 80s bands who reform and think they're still "the boss"? Get over it.

And I agree with Justin... this is the most publicity Overlorde has ever gotten. Does that say irrelevant or what?

My quote on the matter from the other forum:

And I agree with Justin... this is the most publicity Overlorde has ever gotten. Does that say irrelevant or what?

I think it is hilarious when you see these "classic" bands think they are bigger than they are or deserve more since they were around in the 80's. If they were so true to the metal scene and stuff wouldnt they have stayed together when things got tough in the 90's? Plus with every band coming out of the woodwork know since metal is on a resurgance.....everyone is trying to make one last dime it seems.

I think it is hilarious when you see these "classic" bands think they are bigger than they are or deserve more since they were around in the 80's. If they were so true to the metal scene and stuff wouldnt they have stayed together when things got tough in the 90's? Plus with every band coming out of the woodwork know since metal is on a resurgance.....everyone is trying to make one last dime it seems.

Interesting and kind of funny, because that's exactly the feeling I always got from this Overlorde... it could be just my perception, of course, but...

Another Florida-based one comes to mind... ;)

If they were so true to the metal scene and stuff wouldnt they have stayed together when things got tough in the 90's?

Good question! That's why I get pissed off when people say metal in the '90s sucked. The bands who toughed it out when things were hardest get shit on, but the ones who bowed out and then came back later get all the respect.

Good question! That's why I get pissed off when people say metal in the '90s sucked. The bands who toughed it out when things were hardest get shit on, but the ones who bowed out and then came back later get all the respect.

well to that matter.....lots of the bands from the 80's who put out albums in the 90's put out lots of crap. Member changes, direction of sound and stuff all effected a lot of the bands. Sure there was a lot of bands still staying true but at that time there was a burnout of metal so to say in the US.

I do get annoyed when you see a band reform out of no where acting like they were kings back in the day and deserve all this respect for reforming and usually it is 1 or 2 guys from the original line up. Just come out and say it is a quick cash grab, play a couple of fest and play the classic stuff people want to hear and not try to write new songs that dont sound like your older stuff. I would respect a band more doing that I think.

well to that matter.....lots of the bands from the 80's who put out albums in the 90's put out lots of crap. Member changes, direction of sound and stuff all effected a lot of the bands. Sure there was a lot of bands still staying true but at that time there was a burnout of metal so to say in the US.

I was referring more to bands who got started in the late '80s/early '90s and are totally ignored today. People want to listen to every NWOBHM single and every US metal demo tape from the mid-'80s, and every new band that sounds like that, but they don't want to check out an album from 1996.

I do get annoyed when you see a band reform out of no where acting like they were kings back in the day and deserve all this respect for reforming and usually it is 1 or 2 guys from the original line up. Just come out and say it is a quick cash grab, play a couple of fest and play the classic stuff people want to hear and not try to write new songs that dont sound like your older stuff. I would respect a band more doing that I think.

I completely agree with you.

I was referring more to bands who got started in the late '80s/early '90s and are totally ignored today. People want to listen to every NWOBHM single and every US metal demo tape from the mid-'80s, and every new band that sounds like that, but they don't want to check out an album from 1996.

Find me some 1996 albums that sound like NWOBHM singles and I'll be happy to try them. :lol: