Overrated guitarists and bands

The most over-rated guitarplayer would be me. But Tripp Eisen, Angus Young and Josh Homme, I like a lot of Kyuss stuff but QOTSA bores me to death.

As for bands: KISS, Bullet for my vallentine (before I heard some dork call them "the leaders of the new metal"), Slipknot, Slayer, In Flames and a band called Sator.

The most over-rated guitarplayer would be me. But Tripp Eisen, Angus Young and Josh Homme, I like a lot of Kyuss stuff but QOTSA bores me to death.

As for bands: KISS, Bullet for my vallentine (before I heard some dork call them "the leaders of the new metal"), Slipknot, Slayer, In Flames and a band called Sator.

Slayer...interesting...I have to agree...after Reign In Blood, what's the point? And even much of that album is the same song over and over. Probably blasphemy for some, right?:lol:

You may disagree with my pick. But would I say Dave Mustaine . Is he exposed (Guitar Magazine ads and so forth) for his guitar playing or just the fact that he's Dave Mustaine the man the myth the legend?

Slayer...interesting...I have to agree...after Reign In Blood, what's the point? And even much of that album is the same song over and over. Probably blasphemy for some, right?:lol:

Well what can we say, Slayer have written some great songs but some people should wake the fuck up. The same people who mocks 45-year old KISS fans bitch whenever someone notices that the last Slayer is barely "meh".

I think this list has is starting to switch from overrated guitarists to guitarists we don't particularly like. For example, I have never heard Mark Knoepfler of Dire Straights referred to as a great guitarist. Same thing with Kerry King and Jeff Henneman. I like Slayer but have never considered those two great guitarists. All they do is re-arrange scales and play them super fast during solos.
A "great guitarist" is not always someone who has blazing speed or technical ability. It is the marriage between a technical lead and a rythm that makes it just feel right. Although I am not a big fan, Dream Theater are a great example. Outstanding guitar playing incorporated into quality songs.
About Dave Mustaine-I could not agree more. Dave has always produced tricky rythm parts that have fantastic feel. He has also always surrounded himself with great guitarists. Marty Friedman, Chris Poland etc. For the record, Chris Poland was/is enormously underrated.

I think this list has is starting to switch from overrated guitarists to guitarists we don't particularly like. For example, I have never heard Mark Knoepfler of Dire Straights referred to as a great guitarist. Same thing with Kerry King and Jeff Henneman. I like Slayer but have never considered those two great guitarists. All they do is re-arrange scales and play them super fast during solos.
A "great guitarist" is not always someone who has blazing speed or technical ability. It is the marriage between a technical lead and a rythm that makes it just feel right. Although I am not a big fan, Dream Theater are a great example. Outstanding guitar playing incorporated into quality songs.
About Dave Mustaine-I could not agree more. Dave has always produced tricky rythm parts that have fantastic feel. He has also always surrounded himself with great guitarists. Marty Friedman, Chris Poland etc. For the record, Chris Poland was/is enormously underrated.

I see your point, but the Slayer comment was about an overrated band which was originally included in this thread.

A great guitarist is technically skilled and musically gifted...it has nothing to do with speed...I couldn't agree more.

I am on the fence about Slayer being overrated. I tend not to think so only because they are one of the few bands that have stayed true to their sound and form. No matter how much time passes. In terms of talent, absolutely overrated. Even Dave Lombardo seems to be running out of original parts. Props to him for still using the ride cymbal. That never gets old for me.

I am on the fence about Slayer being overrated. I tend not to think so only because they are one of the few bands that have stayed true to their sound and form. No matter how much time passes. In terms of talent, absolutely overrated. Even Dave Lombardo seems to be running out of original parts. Props to him for still using the ride cymbal. That never gets old for me.

He's a machine!!!:headbang:

Luckily you´ve never heard about Mark Knoepfler as a great guitarist because you don´t live in Spain. Everyone here, specially when I started to listen music in the end of the 80´s, said that guy was a kind of genius. In particular, due to his way of playing (with a coin or anything like that). For the music media in Spain people like Eddie Van Halen or Steve Vai (I name two famous I could say a thousand more) were just annoying soloist. That´s why I consider him overrated at least here.

I can´t agree with Dave Mustaine. He´s an amazing rythm guitarist and an underrated soloist. Until I saw Megadeth I didn´t notice how good he was playing solos. Not a "superstar" but a very good guitar player.

And about Slayer, pfff, a band that have released during their career 4 or 5 seminal albums and the epitome of a genre ("Reign in blood" of course) couldn´t be considered overrated at all, in my opinion. In spite of albums like "Diabolus in musica" or "God hates us all" are boring.

Randy Rhodes was in quiet riot..

Randy Rhoads was incredible, it's a shame what happened to him. I was referring to the post-Rhoads Quiet Riot. I made the mistake of seeing them play a free show once, and they blew. The lead singer had on this ridiculous wig that looked like something from old english colonial times.

The guys from Slayer are getting up in age, and they still are playing awesome. A lot of their riffs sound a like, but at least they didn't change to the extreme like Metallica & Suicidal Tendencies did back in the early 90's.

how about...
Dan Spitz. His leads are pure shit.

as far as bands. I think Slipknot is the most over rated rehashed shit I have ever heard. but then again, so is Anthrax. haha. had to throw that in.

The best guitarist in Anthrax right now is playing drums for them.

You may disagree with my pick. But would I say Dave Mustaine . Is he exposed (Guitar Magazine ads and so forth) for his guitar playing or just the fact that he's Dave Mustaine the man the myth the legend?

Watch Megadeth's - Rude Awakening DVD and then tell me he's overrated...

Brian May - What a completely over-rated tosser. I was praying for a lightning strike when he was on top of Buckingham Palace the other year playing God Save The Queen (no, not THAT one, I mean our National Anthem).