Attention guitarists and bassists!

Mikey123

New Metal Member
Apr 14, 2008
Hey everybody... this is my first post here, but it's certainly an important one! I'm a drummer looking for a guitarist and bassist for a tribute album to Watchtower! As they've been my favorite band forever, I figured that I absolutely had to do this!

Here's the deal... My goal is to take Watchtower material, and give it the 2008 production it always deserved! I want the material to actually be heard as heavy as you and I always wanted it to be! Totally in tribute to the most underrated band EVER! I am a professional drummer, and I have a studio setup in my house where I'm going to record the drums for a "greatest hits" type deal (half Energetic, half Control). Completely professionally recorded and everything... and I need a guitarist and a bassist who can play the material, and who have anywhere near as much of a love of the band as I do! It doesn't matter where you're located, as long as you could record the parts, and make them amazing! Obviously that means you need to have pro equipment, but I know the people on a Spastik Inc/Watchtower forum have go to be taking music their love for music VERY seriously! :)

We all know that Mathematics is probably never going to happen, and most likely my dream of the band re-recording all of their material isn't going to happen either... so I want to keep the band alive (albeit in tribute) and show people that Watchtower is still way ahead of their time in 2008...

Ron is welcome to help me make this dream a reality of course :), (guest spot on some Energetic material? haha), but I'm sure there are so many guitarists out there wanting to pay tribute to two of the (criminally) unsung greatest guitarists ever... Ron and Billy... as well as bassists who have been influenced by Doug's phenomenal playing! (As a part-time bassist myself, I know I have!)

The vocalist for this project and I are ready and willing to make this happen... We're not looking for anything but to pay tribute to the most amazing band the world has ever seen! For those of you who grew up in the day and age of Watchtower (unlike myself, I was born the year they formed... but I've been listening to the band for many years!)... you will know this singer, and you will be amazed... (he's one of my heroes) but it's a surprise... until I find the right musicians for the job! (I'm a nobody, so I'm not a surprise, I'm Mike, I live in NY, I play in a bunch of bands, (yes, I am very capable of playing the material)...... hi!)

Anyway, please feel free to respond to this thread, or send me a message... and let me know if anyone is interested in helping to pay tribute to the greatest band of all time... or if anyone is interested in hearing it! Thanks everybody for your time!

Haha... too funny! I'm friends with Longstreth and I met you when I hung with him in Albany a few weeks back... Your band was playing with Mucopus and such right? Small world! When talking about this tribute, John said that your guitarist would probably be into it, but I have yet to talk to him! Do you happen to have a way to record? John says that you'd be able to handle the songs... so maybe I can send you something. I recorded the drums to "Violent Change" today... I put it into my computer and had it play back a little bit faster than the original while tracking, so it's a little bit faster than the recorded version... but any chance you can learn that one and give it a shot?

Shit! Yeah, we played at Valentines in Albany with Mucopus and Anal Blast...you were the guy with John wearing the Watchtower shirt, I remember you! haha...

Unfortunately, I don't currently have a way of recording my bass... I own a sansamp and a cheap USB interface, but no computer to use it with, however hopefully I should be building a new one within the next month or so. Though that isn't the greatest method - I'm friends with Derek Boyer of Suffocation and he lives only about half an hour away from me, so once he gets back home come June, I could probably talk him into lettin' me use his gear to get a more professional sounding product. Either way, I can - of course - start learning material now so I'll be ready to throw Violent Change and perhaps a few others at you whenever I have the chance - granted you're patient enough with me :lol:

Josh (my guitar player) also loves Watchtower; I'll tell him about it next time I talk to him. The logo in my sig below is our project if you wanna check us both out again.

Keep in touch man...!

Alright, PM me with your email and we'll discuss this all more in there. Obviously you're the only one paying attention on this thread, but I would like to leave it relatively uncluttered so hopefully some guitarists will chime in one day, haha!

Thanks man! C'mon guitarists, aren't there all these guys who play Ron's stuff on this forum?

Haha, yeah, definitely get Doug to get the bass tracks done!!! Though, that's just the thing with the tribute, the singer lives in Texas, I live in New York, no easy distance from where I live... We're probably never going to be in the same room until after the album is recorded haha! You could definitely join in as long as you had a way to record! I could send you drum tracks via the internet and you could do your thing and send them back... then I'd send it off to the singer, and we'd get it mixed. Honestly if you were really into it, and able to play the parts, it would be really easy to make the whole thing work! All you'd need is an awesomely heavy tone and a way to capture it on tape! If you didn't have a way to do it at your house or something, we could definitely pool money to get you to a real studio for your tracks.

That being said, I'd have you record your parts to the drums with a tape recorder or something first, to make sure you could do it, haha! Let me know if you dig the idea, and I could send you the drums for a song right away!

sounds great..if i had a way to record my guitar...i would love to try it....i might be able to get my friend to help me record.if you still need a guitarist..

Well, if your friend could help you record, and it'll sound really great... We're definitely interested in hearing it! There has been no decision made on the guitarist position yet!

That being said, I'd have you record your parts to the drums with a tape recorder or something first, to make sure you could do it, haha! Let me know if you dig the idea, and I could send you the drums for a song right away!

In all honesty, I have no way of recording anything right now, as sad as that may sound. Also, I'm not sure I'd want to record anyway: I really think that playing other people's material should be done live, of you mean to play it as the original band did, and only record if you mean to add something to it (what's the point in re-recording something as it was already done?). I don't presume to be able to add anything personal/creative to the products of the combined genious of Doug and Billy/Ron, really, and even it I did, there's no substitute for a band gelling in a "live" environment...

I understand what you're saying... though this is meant to be a tribute. I want to give this material the production that it deserves, allowing it to be as heavy as it should be. Actually, we are considering live shows, but at the moment, a guitarist is needed. In fact, the quality of the people involved is absolutely staggering to me... and some very well-known people have offered to be involved as guests, but we're looking for someone to play guitar to pretty much all of the Energetic Material at the moment, with the addition of guest solos from some pretty heavy hitters.

The point in re-recording something SIMILAR to what was already done is to let it be heavy, and punch you in the face, like a 2008 production would do for some of the greatest music ever written. There are countless tribute albums to countless bands out there, but nothing has been done for Watchtower... and that's an absolute shame. We're doing this for the fans of the band, and for the band itself, because we love the music, we love the players, and they deserve much more than this simple tribute can offer them... but it's a start!

I love Rick's drumming, and it's an absolute pleasure for me to get inside his head and play his parts (or at least, very close to his parts), and it's the least I can do for all the influence he's given me as a musician!

Hey Thoas!

Well, we're pretty much thinking about doing all of Energetic Disassembly right now, and then hopefully working on some other stuff later... but at the moment, it's all about the first record. Thanks for the interest!