For guitarists trying to better their solos...

Bryant

Mr. Sleepy
Apr 14, 2002
Sweet home Alabama
Visit site
I take this forum seriously and don't come here to talk about a particular guitarist or anything like that, but I will make an exception this time, and I will explain why:

If anyone here goes to the UM ProgpowerUSA forum, they will notice the most talked about band of the festival (which was last weekend) is Pagan's Mind. You may also notice Firewind and Freak Kitchen played as well. Mattias Eklundh (of Freak Kitchen) and Gus G. (of Firewind) respectively are super hot guitarists with incredible skills, yet it is Jorn Viggo Lofstad that gets most of the buzz.
I think what seperates Jorn Viggo from most is his ability to use great technique AND emotics. His technical skills are quite impressive, but he chooses to use more phrasing/note selection as opposed to speed/technical techniques. The acrobatics are there mind you, but are brought in tastefully. As opposed to stringing together his best "licks" and creating a solo, he writes a solo and uses his best licks where they are apropriate.

As I said, I am not here to try and promote a guitarist or a band, nor to try and make myself sound like some sort of guru. It is merely an observation. If you are interested in hearing them cool, but I just wanted everyone to be aware that in my ears the most important thing about writing a great guitar solo is making one that sounds good, not necessarily one that sounds "difficult" and that even holds ground when you are playing for other guitarists because I honestly don't know if I have heard a better guitarist than he and I told you why.

Bryant

Yeah. Sometimes speed does make something sound cooler. I've recorded a solo and slowed it down to the speed of a normal rock song and it sounded horrible.

Speed is a huge arsenal to have on your side. I am an old fart and can remember when Yngwie first came out with Rising Force (his solo band.) He was a total freaking monster and 75% of it was due to his speed. I am not trying to turn people into David Gilmour clones (not that he isn't awesome mind you) but to make people realize notes are important.

Bryant

Yeah. Sometimes speed does make something sound cooler. I've recorded a solo and slowed it down to the speed of a normal rock song and it sounded horrible.

Not only the notes you play, but how you play them. Most people can play fast stuff, but far from everyone can make it sound good.

I agree with that. Also you get guitarists like Yngwie who play extremely fast but repeat the same things over again. Yngwie is fun to listen to for a while but it gets very repetative.

Great reply. I am an old fart and Yngwie absolutely blew my mind when I first heard him with his solo release "Yngwie Malmsteen's Rising Force" and though he is still a killer guitarist, he rehashes way too much. He limited himself very much stylistically.
Someone said it is not only note selection, but also "how you play the note." I consider that elemental phrasing and that is what will seperate one talented guitarist from another, not some technical trick.

Bryant

I agree with that. Also you get guitarists like Yngwie who play extremely fast but repeat the same things over again. Yngwie is fun to listen to for a while but it gets very repetative.

Although I can't play very well, I can still write mindless shred-fests on my computer, but don't really see the point. Guitarists who just shred up and down a scale / arpeggio really don't impress me, because I understand how little effort it really takes to do that, once your fingers have adapted. However, writing expressive music is a lot more difficult and takes a great deal more creativity and personal involvement than simply fitting as many notes as you can into a measure. Not enough people seem to realize that there's also an art in which notes you don't play.