sorta guitar related and Prog Power USA VII related as well....

Bryant

Mr. Sleepy
Apr 14, 2002
Sweet home Alabama
Visit site
According to promoter Glenn Harveston, there will be an "all-star" jam at Prog Power during Jorn's set. Mattias Eklundh is one of those who will be involved.
I am 37 years old and frankly I would grow bored with extended guitar solos NORMALLY, but if Mattias Eklundh (Freak Kitchen's guitarist and vocalist) and Jorn Viggo Lofstad (Jorn's guitarist and guitarist for Pagans Mind) squared off, I would hit the front row like a Pittsburgh Steeler linebacker hitting a running back. If you enjoy guitar players and don't know those names.... I suggest learning them.
Jorn Viggo sounds like an 80's guitar God, less he doesn't sound rehashed. Despite playing in a heavy prog metal band, the 80's influences are huge. His technical level is up to about anyone's and he also knows when and "how" to hit the right note as opposed to simply stringing great "licks" together. He constructs solos as well as any guitarist I have ever heard.

Mattias, on the other hand, is more of the wild "out of the box" type. Technically, he is an equal to JV, but prefers the artsy stuff and weird stuff as opposed to the melodic notes. He reminds me more of a younger Stevie Vai.

I seriously doubt this duel will happen. In fact, I would bet 20 to 1 it won't but I would love to see it. Throughout the 90's and half of the 2000's I thought guitar Gods were a thing of the past, but Jorn Viggo, only after three releases is in my top five of all-time.

Bryant