Oxford gig - 3rd Dec 2005.

vixenrouge

New Metal Member
Dec 4, 2005
Last night we saw the mighty Opeth. We had a 160 mile round trip to Oxford, England from Portsmouth.

When Opeth were finally onstage I felt it was unreal because we had been worried about not getting to the gig. We were looking forward to it so much.

They sounded better live than they do on record, because of the audience participation. The audience absolutely loved them!! One girl kept screeching "Mendez" and Mikael kept asking her to repeat it louder and louder until she sounded like a banshee!! The front of the crowd looked like a massive headbanging woolly mammoth.:headbang: :headbang:

They played the old favourites very loudly (we were right at the front next to the speakers). They started with "Ghost of Perdition". Also from the latest album they gave us "The Baying of the Hounds" and "The Grand Conjuration". We were chuffed when they played "Bleak", but I was in the bathroom for the first part - during the Middle-Eastern sounding solo. They drew big cheers
when they played a number of songs off their early albums. Throughout, a guy with a long goatee was calling for "Master's Apprentice", which they played last, before their encore. The main riff of this song was slow as molasses, and slowed down futher to finish. Their encore was "Deliverance", which their stand-in drummer nailed.

This was a very personal gig for us, as our friend Mark has a son called Adam, aged 11, who had drawn a cross-eyed picture of Mikael Akerfeldt. Mark's older son, Chris, had thrown the pic on stage and it just landed on the edge. Peter picked it up and it was given to Mikael. He held it up , ruefully admitting, "There is a likeness". Nice touch! Great banter all night and kick-ass performance.

SEE YOU NEXT TIME OPETH.:wave: :wave: :headbang: :headbang:

vixenrouge said:
Throughout, a guy with a long goatee was calling for "Master's Apprentice", which they played last, before their encore.
Master's Apprentices?????? It was "A Fair Judgement" they played!!!!!!!!

WOW, so loud, so clear, nice mix Guys :)

All of the Opeth gigs have magical moments, though for me it has to be Oxford.

The only real downer was, I lost my Opeth silky :yell:

Oh well, I hope it finds a loving home and maybe make's a new Opeth devotee, like meeee :)

I couldn't find Zodiacs for the after show show :(

Come back to England soon Guys, we love you!!

Merry Christmas. :headbang:

saturday was my birthday and i wished i wasn't in america so that i could've spent my b-day with the greatest metal band ever. but oh well.

Does Anyone Know The FullSetlist ??
I can remember most of them but not in order. Cheers

It's posted many places.

Ghost of Perdition
When
White Cluster
Closure
Bleak
The Grand Conjuration
Under The Weeping Moon
Baying of the Hounds
A Fair Judgment