The Forum Gig Impressions

Ganza

Dark Matter Soul
Just posted this to see what other people have to say about the Opeth gig in The Forum, London.

Impressions, funny (or not) memories, opinions, etc etc.

I believe it was an amazing setlist they had there.
I felt really priviledged to actually listen to them play Bleak live, I don't think they've played that for ages now.

Really liked the rest of the songs as well, with Demon Of The Fall being of course the awesomest encore ever.

Another thing that I really admired about Mikael is that he's stopped being shy and he's ten times funnier than the last time I saw him one year ago! :D

Aaaand also, my funny incident and small claim to fame concerning Opeth...

Mikael: *anouncing Deliverance* "This next song is about my favorite actor in the world..."

Me: *shouts* BURT REYNOLDS!!!

Mikael: "No, Burt Reynolds is not actually my favorite actor in the world...it's the retarded kid with the banjo."

LOL. Yes, people, if you were there and heard a guy shouting it it was me...just thought I'd do it for a laugh but I never actually expected a response to it :p

Oh, and by the way I think Mikael is a big liar...because if I hadn't shouted Burt Reynolds he would have said something about him...it's just that he wanted to take a piss on my shout and make it even funnier ;)

So let's hear it people!

Was it fucking awesome or what?

Also, what do you think of Axenroth as a Lopez replacement?

I heard you shout "Burt Reynolds" (I was stood near you dude) and was expecting Mikael to say he was his favourite actor.
This was the 4th time i've seen Opeth, and they just keep getting better. The Oxford gig should be awesome.
The sound was a bit ropey at the beginning; I was stood right next to the left speakers at the start and all I could hear was the bass. I think they corrected this during the second song though (btw the setlist for this gig is on another thread in this forum).
I too was chuffed to hear 'Bleak' after all this time - i've wanted to see them play this since BWP was released.
I can't really fault Axenroth as a replacement; this was the second time i've seen him with Opeth and I have noticed he plays some fills differently to Lopez, but I don't think it's a big deal.

Great gig overall.

Ganza said:
Mikael: *anouncing Deliverance* "This next song is about my favorite actor in the world..."

Me: *shouts* BURT REYNOLDS!!!

Mikael: "No, Burt Reynolds is not actually my favorite actor in the world...it's the retarded kid with the banjo."

Hey Hermes!, I didnt realise you were going to the gig. I was standing right near you...haha

I posted this in another thread but ...feck it I'll post it again.

Awesome gig! Im suprised they only played one mellow track (although I prefer the heavier stuff). I loved the way the metalled up the end of Closure twas very rocking....I Saw the fat cunt at the bar but was too shy to say "Hey! Your Lee B"....hhmmm what else....oh I had a few metalhead moments...You know when 2 metalheads look at eachothers band shirts and go "ah dude...that band rocks":Spin: ....took some pics but I dunno how to post them anyone help me?

You weren't alone in shouting BURT REYNOLDS! :)

NickFBM and I did it at that same moment :lol:

I thought Axenrot did a damn good job, but I still wish Lopez were there.

Yeah, I wish Lopez was there too, even though I still think of Axenroth as a worthy enough replacement, keyword being replacement.

Except for the fact that Axenroth overdid it with the strength he hit the drums at some points, I don't think there's anyone that could play Closure better than Lopez really. The whole oriental feel is his trademark afterall. :D

I thought there might be a bit more of a mosh, not having seen Opeth live before. There was a swirling bit in the middle, but my general feeling was that a lot of people were there to watch and listen rather than go apeshit at the massiveness of the riffs. Then again, I've read some posters on this site complaining about the moshers putting them off while they try to note down the complex fingering and sweep-picking maneuvers! :headbang:

I tried to be a little bit of both really.

Sure, it's fun to headbang and mosh around and all, but then again I wanted to enjoy the greatness that is Opeth with my eyes as well. And what I've noticed from that is that Akerfeldt's solos are not impressive visually :p They just sound awesome.

I saw them in both manchester and glasgow. The manchester gig was superb, really totally amazing. Went away on a high, even though I had to drive 3.5hrs to get home! The set list was superb and Peter showd himself to be incredibly likeable and warm.

But..........when I went to see them in glasgow (i live 40ish miles away in edinburgh), I have to say I was more than a little dissapointed. They sounded like they were compensating for the drummer.

I was gutted in the first place to go to two opeth gigs and not get to see Martin play, as he really is one of my idols as i'm a drummer myself. As soon as I came in I saw the tama kit and realised he still wasn't well enough to play. I can't remember the name of the replacement (the guy from bloodbath, yes?) but he was clearly having an off night!

From the outset, he was dragging and his double bass was untidy and inconsistent. The opener, Ghost of Perdition, was VERY noticably slower, even so, he still couldn't keep it smooth. This was highlighted by what I feel was a very bad drum sound. They were, for a start, FAR TOO LOUD in comparison with the rest of the band. I believe at the Garage (the venue in glasgow) the desk is upstairs, someone really needed to come down and realise how bad it was on the main floor. The toms were very, very, very hard and click, with absolutely no tone. All this might have not been a problem if the kit hadn't been so overwhealmingly loud.

As I said, when I saw them in manchester, the rocked. I came away thinking that my opinion of them as a truly amazing live act had been cemented. I don't know if this was the same drummer, but I really don't see how, what is essentially a very heavy prog band can allow themselves to be shown up by shodydy playing. The other guys seemed to be in fine form, but as I said, it sounded like they were having to compensate somewhat. I LOVE opeth beacuse they write amazing songs and they are all truly stunning players. I have watched lamentations many, many times and every time I do, i'm stunned by the finesses and consistency with which they play. I will still go and see them at the next available chance, but I needed to get this off my chest!

Anyway rant over!

GET WELL SOON MARTIN!!!!!!

Axenroth was much better than at the Mean Fiddler Gig, and the setlist was technically better than it too.. But i was disapointed by them last night. It didn't help that a load of bad shit happened and that i missed most of Bleak because my friend fainted. I felt Mikael talked for too long about nothing in particular. He was hilarious as usual for the majoritory of times but by the end i was just thinking "okay - just play the songs already". I'm just going to put it down to the fact that bad stuff was happening for me that i was so disapointed but it's undeniable that they played a load of the songs really slowly, especially Ghost Of Perdition.

opeth_353 said:
Axenroth was much better than the Mean Fiddler Gig, and the setlist was technically better than it too.. But i was disapointed by them last night. It didn't help that a load of bad shit happened and that i missed most of Bleak because my friend fainted. I felt Mikael talked for too long about nothing in particular. He was hilarious as usual for the majoritory of times but by the end i was just thinking "okay - just play the songs already". I'm just going to put it down to the fact that bad stuff was happening for me that i was so disapointed but it's undeniable that they played a load of the songs really slowly, especially Ghost Of Perdition.
Dude, I totally agree with everything you said there. I really enjoed the gig (my 4th time seeing Opeth) but couldn't help feeling the Mean Fiddler gig was better. Sorry to hear about your "bad stuff" - however I still feel the gig was lacking something despite it luckily being hassle-free for me.
Apart from some of the songs being slower than the recorded versions ('Deliverance' was really noticeable as being slow, imo) I think the only thing wrong with this gig is my own fault: knowing what the set would be (after reading it on this forum for the previous couple of gigs). When I saw them at Mean Fiddler I hadn't ever been to this forum before so I didn't have a clue what songs would be likely to be played. The element of surprise definitely adds something to a gig.
I'm confident the Oxford gig will be awesome; and i'll have my fingers crossed they'll play something different ('The Moor' would be my wish) :worship:

I'm glad it wasn't just me! Ah well, I suppose even these guys can't be razor blade sharp every time. None the less, an umissable band!

TattooAnt said:
I'm confident the Oxford gig will be awesome; and i'll have my fingers crossed they'll play something different ('The Moor' would be my wish) :worship:
Were you by any chance the guy yelling "The Moor"? :D

I wish I hadn't read the setlist either. I fucking loved the gig, having never seen them play before so I was still blown away despite all the criticism. The setlist was a spoiler, but I only have myself to blame. The only shitter was afterwards - the coat queue was so long I missed the last train to High Wycombe and had to pay through the arse to get a taxi.

Was the "fat cunt" Mikael referred to the guy handing out To-Mera demos? If so, thanks for the CD - it's always nice when someone tries to play something interesting!

It was pretty cool that this guy was walking down the que giving away Opeth pin on metal badges and stickers...

Lee_B said:
That was me. I'm glad that Mike's description led to that assumption :)
Lol. I half picked it up from someone else's post. I accidentally kicked the girl who sang on the demo in the shin, which I felt quite sorry about. Anyway, thanks for the demo, some nice guitar work.