Deliverance

musicnerd

Oct 19, 2004
I know Mikael has said in concert that Deliverance (the song) is actually about the movie with burt reynolds....is that true or is he just being a comedian. Because that would make sense. I only saw the movie once, yet I don't recall any drowning scenes. At first glance the song seems to be about a person under the devil's influence and a murder by drowning and the deep regret felt afterwords.

AFairJudgement0 said:
u really think the song is about a bunch of hillbillies butt fucking some dudes?? come on man.

Good grief!!!!!! I know the song is not about that!! I'm not a moron. There's more to the movie than that one scene. It's been about five or six since I've seen it, so I can remember if anyone drowns one of the characters.

He said something about he wrote it thinking about burt reynolds and sex!

musicnerd said:
Good grief!!!!!! I know the song is not about that!! I'm not a moron. There's more to the movie than that one scene. It's been about five or six since I've seen it, so I can remember if anyone drowns one of the characters.

I know that there is more to the movie than that, but frankly I would rather not relate the song and movie together. The movie always brings these haunting images of the American deep south, and I'd rather be freaked out by evil lyrics about drowning then about hillbillies telling ppl to squeal like a pig... *shudders*

AFairJudgement0 said:
I know that there is more to the movie than that, but frankly I would rather not relate the song and movie together. The movie always brings these haunting images of the American deep south, and I'd rather be freaked out by evil lyrics about drowning then about hillbillies telling ppl to squeal like a pig... *shudders*

No harm done...and yeah Delieverance has some pretty chilling lyrics. I guess my take on it is this man is under the influence of the devil and drowns a person, possibly a lady and then realizes for his evil deed has lost his salvation. Maybe there's more to it...but that's what I read into it.

musicnerd said:
No harm done...and yeah Delieverance has some pretty chilling lyrics. I guess my take on it is this man is under the influence of the devil and drowns a person, possibly a lady and then realizes for his evil deed has lost his salvation. Maybe there's more to it...but that's what I read into it.

Yeah, that's it. The devil basically delivers a person into his hands by possesing him and making him drown his lover. Every more chilling is how well the lyrics line up with the music, with the perspective change between growls and singing. The early acoustic verses are when he is in a haze; on autopilot carrying out the devil's will. The final acoustic verse acts as recognition, while the clean vocal parts that come before it The piercing sounds you made... being recollectiong and Devil guides the way being realization. Really cool song; quite fully realized.

Whether the song is about the movie I do not know....however...you guys seem to have the completely wrong perception about what the movie is about.

The movie is about revenge, redemption, inner strength and how wronging a wrong can ultimately be right...to top it off....its one fucking cool movie...