Oxford last night

Jun 23, 2005
Dudley, UK
Did anyone on here get the the oxford show last night? What did you think?

I met Scott, Charlie and Frank getting off the bus, they signed my shirt, it rocked!!

Best song - NFL

It was good to see Joey and Dan again, Dan especially seemed to be having a blast, does anyone know what guitar he's playing now? I think it was a Wayne, but i was near the back so couldnt really see.

The only downer was there were no dredd shirts - DROKK!!!!

somekindofmonster said:

I met Scott, Charlie and Frank getting off the bus, they signed my shirt, it rocked!!

Best song - NFL

It was good to see Joey and Dan again, Dan especially seemed to be having a blast, does anyone know what guitar he's playing now? I think it was a Wayne, but i was near the back so couldnt really see.

Danny is using PRS guitars now.

somekindofmonster said:

No Dredd-shirts?!? Then why am I wearing one?? You must've been drunk out of your mind! They were in plain view, displayed both front and back, before and after the show! :D

The show itself: Great! I think I remember most of the songs (but not the order in which they were played, though...) ATL, Got the time, caught in a mosh, NFL, AIR, Medusa, Metal Thrashing mad, Madhouse, Antisocial, I'm the man, Be all, end all, indians, I am the law, deathrider, A New Level (!) with Scott singing (mostly) AND... (drumroll....) an impromptu version of Running Free!! From my point of view, it seemed like charlie was just goofing around a bit, he did the first two bars of "another life" of the killers-album, then went into the unmistakable running free-groove. Frankie joined in, and off they went! Some guy that was standing stage left came in and sang the first verse and shared the chorus with joey. It seemed only Joey knew who this guy was.. ("Chris" or something..)
As Mr. Wu said, the place was sold out. I heard it had a capacity of 450, so it was very intimate, but the crowd was very loud and passionate, and you could see that the band were enjoying themselves, especially Joey and Dan, and Frankie seemed to be in a great mood as well.. It was a bit harder for me to see Scott, since I was closer to the left hand side of the stage (my left). Dan got so into it though, that he stole Scott's line when the band was introduced!! Joey introduced everybody, and Scott started to introduce Joey, but Dan took Frankie's mike and did the introduction :headbang: Scott seemed mildly surprised :D

I wish they would have played some more songs from POT, but... You know, there are always ten songs you wanna hear that they're not gonna play...All in all, a great gig, BUT; They shouldn't make Joey sing deathrider... I'm sorry, but I gotta be honest.. It just doesn't work. He was actually great on all the other songs, but deathrider just wasn't the same....

Which brings me to my conclusion... I took this trip from Oslo, Norway to see this gig in Oxford. And to me, it really was worth it. It was a nice trip, Oxford was great, met some very nice people at the Hobgoblin (the nearest pub to the gig), the gig was fantastic, and it was... you know, nostalgia-galore! And if this is it; if it's just this tour and a dvd, that's fine! But if this is the future of Anthrax... Well, then I've had my fill. There's no doubt: the band was great and the songs are great, but to me Anthrax is something more. Anthrax is also the band that made music from 1993-2003, and if they're just gonna scrap all the great songs from that era and never play them again live... Well... Then this was the last time I ever needed to see them.. Most of you probably know where I'm coming from: Caught in a mosh still sounds great with john bush on vocals, but how would What doesn't die or black dahlia sound with joey singing?...

Ah, well... We'll just have to wait and see. Bottom line: They were great! Every member of the band that was on stage thursday were fantastic, and it was worth plane tickets, trains, buses and a hotel room! They ROCK!! :headbang:

(but i really, really wanna see and hear john again soon... )

Went to oxford gig, have to say was one of the best gigs i've ever been to! Haven't been in a mosh pit for years!!! Most fun i've had in ages...Had the pleasure of working at Download on the saturday this year and was ecstatic that i was gonna get to see original line up anthrax...i've waited 15 years...got to see the set from side of stage and thought it was great, just a little short...so when i found out about the oxford gig got my ticket coz this was not to be missed. And what a gig!!!! Singing along with joey to my fav tunes and the band were so close, it was like they were playing my local pub! Got one of scotts picks aswell...nice! :hotjump:

Only thing i regret is heckling joey just before the very last song....joey and scott were bantering about taking a break before the last song and i shouted out that he shouldn't show his age....just trying to join in i guess...well if looks could kill!!! Didn't mean any harm dude!!! Besides you got more hair than me!!! :worship:

Darth Ridiculous said:
No Dredd-shirts?!? Then why am I wearing one?? You must've been drunk out of your mind! They were in plain view, displayed both front and back, before and after the show! :D

The show itself: Great! I think I remember most of the songs (but not the order in which they were played, though...) ATL, Got the time, caught in a mosh, NFL, AIR, Medusa, Metal Thrashing mad, Madhouse, Antisocial, I'm the man, Be all, end all, indians, I am the law, deathrider, A New Level (!) with Scott singing (mostly) AND... (drumroll....) an impromptu version of Running Free!! From my point of view, it seemed like charlie was just goofing around a bit, he did the first two bars of "another life" of the killers-album, then went into the unmistakable running free-groove. Frankie joined in, and off they went! Some guy that was standing stage left came in and sang the first verse and shared the chorus with joey. It seemed only Joey knew who this guy was.. ("Chris" or something..)
As Mr. Wu said, the place was sold out. I heard it had a capacity of 450, so it was very intimate, but the crowd was very loud and passionate, and you could see that the band were enjoying themselves, especially Joey and Dan, and Frankie seemed to be in a great mood as well.. It was a bit harder for me to see Scott, since I was closer to the left hand side of the stage (my left). Dan got so into it though, that he stole Scott's line when the band was introduced!! Joey introduced everybody, and Scott started to introduce Joey, but Dan took Frankie's mike and did the introduction :headbang: Scott seemed mildly surprised :D

I wish they would have played some more songs from POT, but... You know, there are always ten songs you wanna hear that they're not gonna play...All in all, a great gig, BUT; They shouldn't make Joey sing deathrider... I'm sorry, but I gotta be honest.. It just doesn't work. He was actually great on all the other songs, but deathrider just wasn't the same....

Which brings me to my conclusion... I took this trip from Oslo, Norway to see this gig in Oxford. And to me, it really was worth it. It was a nice trip, Oxford was great, met some very nice people at the Hobgoblin (the nearest pub to the gig), the gig was fantastic, and it was... you know, nostalgia-galore! And if this is it; if it's just this tour and a dvd, that's fine! But if this is the future of Anthrax... Well, then I've had my fill. There's no doubt: the band was great and the songs are great, but to me Anthrax is something more. Anthrax is also the band that made music from 1993-2003, and if they're just gonna scrap all the great songs from that era and never play them again live... Well... Then this was the last time I ever needed to see them.. Most of you probably know where I'm coming from: Caught in a mosh still sounds great with john bush on vocals, but how would What doesn't die or black dahlia sound with joey singing?...

Ah, well... We'll just have to wait and see. Bottom line: They were great! Every member of the band that was on stage thursday were fantastic, and it was worth plane tickets, trains, buses and a hotel room! They ROCK!! :headbang:

(but i really, really wanna see and hear john again soon... )
Thats Exactly i made the Trip to Chicago and New Jersey...... and LA....

Thanks for the Review :headbang:

Also went to the Oxford show with the missus and 2 other "Old Skool" mates and we all agreed that this was one of the most killer shows we'd seen in a long time.
The set played was near enough perfect - and "Medusa" was just f*cking awesome!!!
Glad to say as well that at 31 years old I didnt feel too old either:)
Last time I had seen this line up play was in 1990 supporting Maiden so its been a long wait but well worth it - only wish I'd driven to the other UK show too now!

All in all a good year so far, what with seeing the classic Testament line up too back in May, so what I'd give now for a combined Reunion tour with Anthrax AND Testament back together for a tour!!!

I was there, I now recognise Darth Ridiculous by his avatar, I was the guy with the big grin and the Fantomas shirt on the barrier.

Awesome, awesome show, everyone was having a blast on stage, and some great songs in the setlist, although more P.O.T. stuff would have been nice, as well as Lone Justice, but we can't have it all now, can we?

Met Joey before the gig, and met all the band afterwards, and got a few of my old LPs signed :)