Oxford rollcall

Needless to say i'm going - the gig's pretty much right on my doorstep.
I'm meeting some friends at a pub beforehand but it's a 15 minute walk from the venue.

Oxford setlist

Ghost of Perdition
When
White Cluster
Closure
Bleak
The Grand Conjuration
Under the Weeping moon
Baying of the hounds
A fair judgement
Encore-Deliverance

excellent gig, i got mikes bottle of water lol and my ticket signed by peter afterwards. So very satisfying. But itl be like another year till they come back....Gutted.

RiffBoy said:
Wake up, you sleepy heads, tell us about the gig! :Spin:
The gig was excellent. The venue was quite small and intimate - I was able to get right to front and take some good photos. The sound was perfect too (whereas at The London Forum there were issues with the bass initially). However I noticed Mike's mic cut out a few times, but this was only very brief.
Mike's banter between songs was pretty much as per usual; I shouted "cock rock" during a quiet moment which he heard and then went on to say how Opeth is a cock-rock band, etc.
I was really chuffed to hear "A Fair Judgement" back in the set (hadn't seen them perform this since Shepherd's Bush/Lamentations).
After that song they came back out for the éncore, but Mike said we'd only get it if we pass a 'metal quiz'. He then threw 4 questions about Judas Priest at us. Passing that we were then treated to "Deliverance" (hence, this is the first time i've ever seen them not play "Demon Of The Fall").
Despite correctly anticipated the set to the be the same as the last few nights, it was a great gig. Again though Mike prepared the new fans for "UtWM" by saying they might think it's shit (and more or less apologising!). I guess there were a lot of new fans there though - I made a point of noticing that the 3 new songs Opeth played generated the biggest response from the crowd.

After the gig I waited for an hour-and-a-half by their tour bus and was lucky enough to meet Peter. Got a couple of albums signed and took a few photos. He came across as being a really nice bloke - despite looking like a giant (i'm six foot tall and he towered over me). Unfortunately the rest of the band were already on the bus before I got to it (and Mike was asleep according tothe crew).

Anyway, here's the setlist:

1 Ghost Of Perdition
2 When
3 White Cluster
4 Closure
5 Bleak
6 The Grand Conjuration
7 Under The Weeping Moon
8 The Baying Of The Hounds
9 A Fair Judgement
éncore Deliverance

affinityband said:
yea same, although mike had drunk from it but he had drunk soo little of it. what a waste.
lol, mine too was drank from a bit when I caught it. However whilst waiting outside to meet the band I had to drink the rest (i'll resist the temptation to sound fanboyish and won't go on about drinking Mike's backwash:yuk: )

Just wanted to add something about Burst: I missed their set at the last few gigs but finally saw them last night. What on earth are they doing supporting Opeth? I thought they were awful.

RiffBoy said:
Wake up, you sleepy heads, tell us about the gig! :Spin:
i'm dead, just woke up :lol:

Nick got the setlist sheet! I thought Burst were quite good, and Opeth was amazing. Met Chris as well. What a fun gig. Mike began to play part of Twilight acoustic on request, but not the whole song. Axenrot's cymbal was still broken, but he turned it around and played it anyway. At least at the Oxford gig you could hear it, but he was missing a ride as well. The guy breaks drumsets! Managed to get up to the barrier with NickFBM and the lovely Ayr. I took a bunch of pictures, and some of them are actually not blurry, so i'll put them up later if people want them. After the show we got lost in Oxford for a while, it was quite funny. :lol:

Silent Song said:
Yeah, they may not be perfect now, but they have definite potential. and their bassist is got a pretty badass growl.

Yeah I really like Burst...and that bassist used to be in Nasum so that explains the growl.