Rollcall for Amorphis @ The Pearl Room

wildfyr

unus spiritus est
Oct 10, 2001
real-time
eyesoffyr.com
This forum doesn't have enough rollcall threads.

So who else besides Rachel and yours truly plan on showing up in Mokena next Monday night?

Anyone want to speculate on attendance numbers? It is gonna be on a Monday night, in Mokena.

Anyone?

I'll see you there!

I really wish I could...but Mondays suck for shows when you live over an hour away.

Saw them a few years ago at Joe's with Into Eternity (first US tour for both I think) & both kicked ass.

Should be a cool show. Have fun guys!!

I'm there. Mostly for the godly Samael, but certainly Amorphis should be very good too, and it's cool to have the chance to see Virgin Black. Pretty much a perfect package for me. The Pearl Room's myspace says Urn (gothic metal, Leaves' Eyes local replacement, I guess!) and A Texas Funeral (shitty metalcore) are opening.

This is at least the 4th time for Amorphis in Chicago. First was in 2000 at House of Blues, oddly opening for Armored Saint. Then '01 back at HoB, headlining over some new band called Opeth. First two times were pretty much bleh, especially given how much I love their music, but now that they've gone through their "rejuvenation", I have pretty high hopes.

But if Samael is still half as awesome as they were the two times I saw 'em in '99, Amorphis will have a hard time topping them for me.

Neil

I'm there. Mostly for the godly Samael, but certainly Amorphis should be very good too, and it's cool to have the chance to see Virgin Black. Pretty much a perfect package for me. The Pearl Room's myspace says Urn (gothic metal, Leaves' Eyes local replacement, I guess!) and A Texas Funeral (shitty metalcore) are opening.

This is at least the 4th time for Amorphis in Chicago. First was in 2000 at House of Blues, oddly opening for Armored Saint. Then '01 back at HoB, headlining over some new band called Opeth. First two times were pretty much bleh, especially given how much I love their music, but now that they've gone through their "rejuvenation", I have pretty high hopes.

But if Samael is still half as awesome as they were the two times I saw 'em in '99, Amorphis will have a hard time topping them for me.

Neil

Aye, I was at that show in '01! :kickass:

What happened to Leaves' Eyes anyway? Been struggling keeping up with the metal news as of late.

What happened to Leaves' Eyes anyway? Been struggling keeping up with the metal news as of late.

Yeah, Jose's post was the first time I knew they weren't on the tour. So I checked and the story is "since their DVD has been delayed, their label doesn't want to pay for them to do the tour at this time". Too bad, because, despite the reports of their live badness, I was looking forward to seeing them, cuz I rather like the 'Vinland Saga' album. Oh well!

Neil

Leaves' Eyes bored the shit out of me when I saw them open for Blind Guardian two years ago.

That was an awesome show.
The whole thing about Leaves' Eyes is that Liv's voice is very unique. I only caught 2 songs from that set and I haven't seen them since. It does suck that they are not at this show.

Depending on how this work day goes I may end up there tonight. We'll see.

@ Rachel, Jose, and Neil: I'm glad all of you were able to come out to Mokena last night. And Rachel, I'm glad you made it home ok! Thanks for checking in with me this morning. :)

@ Everyone else reading this: What a surprise it was to find out that the show was taking place in Capone's. I've never experienced that before and hopefully never will again. Floor-level stages = :puke:

I didn't expect The Pearl Room to be packed but I thought the show would at least take place inside that venue. I suppose the move to Capone's is still better than canceling it all together. I understand that weekday shows can be a pain for some of us. I've missed plenty myself due to distance and weekday factors.

It was my first time seeing Virgin Black and Samael so I have no previous experience to gauge their performances. I was mainly there to see Amorphis. They gave us the best set possible under those conditions. They played just a little over an hour and their set list was on par with the ones I've seen in other reviews.

How awful it must be for all the bands to have to deal with low turnouts like that. I'm rather embarrassed for the Chicago scene because of this, and the little JOP/CIIC/Manticora get-together last Tuesday in Schaumburg. But again, I do understand the situation for some of us working stiffs.

I won't have any pics from this show. I didn't even bother bringing the Cybershot this time. Most here may not know that I brought the Canon and both lenses in for servicing the first week of September. They were only supposed to be out for a couple of weeks but due to other circumstances the Canon body is still in the shop, so I couldn't have it with me for these past 2 shows. It's probably no great loss since my band fotos can be so hit-or-miss anyway. :loco:

Virgin Black were amaizing.
I don't think I ever want to see a show at Capone's ever again. Unless you are right upfront, you might be lucky if you see the top half of the performers head.